Search:

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: New to Tenor Guitar (jazz)

I never played tenor banjo, but I discovered the methods available everywhere when I got serious about learning CGDA mandola. The three books which really got me using mandola to its fullest were...
  2. Re: Won an auction for an Eastwood Airline mandola - any tips?

I have an Eastwood, and love it to death.

My personal use takes it, and also my Gold Tone GEM-5 and my J Bovier / eMando 5-string, beyond the norm. Fingerstyle jazz is easy with a good set-up....
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Know of any musician retreat centers?

Yeah, I wasn't thinking writer's block, but instead of capturing no matter the circumstances. Now, the more chaos around, the more I get on paper and tape / chip... and the more inspiration swirling...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Know of any musician retreat centers?

Hey, Charlie!

I've had the same fantasy, being able to (variously) compose, write, practice, etc. I hope you find the space to do so.

In my case, I started folding activities into my day,...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Affordable 10 string mandolin/mandola?

Somebody did manage it.

Details in the following topic.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/threads/163316-Don%E2%80%99t-shoot-me-Need-Gold-Tone-F12-Mod-advice
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Ovation Mandocello

For those who are concerned, normal guitars regularly tune their highest pitched string to E4 at a 25.5" scale length. No Ovation I've owned has had a problem with it.

I also have an Ovation...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Montana Lutherie

I've talked with Bruce many times, purchased from him, gotten advice on DIYwork, and am planning to have him do work on two unique instruments (Mix NewMAD oval-hole F-style with scroll, Walt Kuhlman...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Breaking A-Strings in CGDA tuning

A regular steel .007 will break around G#4 relatively quickly at 25.5".

An Octave4Plus will get there, but needs a clean string path, and will NOT tolerate repeated detunings. I say that in view...
  9. Republic Guitars has a few Highway 49 reso tenors in stock!

No financial interest on my part, but...

https://republicguitars.com/collections/highway-49

...Republic has a few of their Highway 49 resonator tenor guitars in stock.

The scale length is...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: THAT Freddie Green tone

Not quite mandolin, but definitely fifths-tuned...

The amazing and generous Tony Lombardo put up a video series exploring Freddie Green-style comping on CGDA fifths-tuned tenor guitar.

11. Replies
    Views

Re: I can’t find The Blues in my Mandolin

Three solutions I use at various times:

1. I slide indo and out of notes. I do it judiciously and rarely more than one fret. I try to emulate how it would sound if I was just singing it, scoops...
  12. Replies
    Views

I think I was at that particular workshop, and some of the tunes might have been "Black Rat Woman" and "John Henry." That and a few other workshops led to me taking lessons from them.

Nice guys,...
  13. Replies
    Views

It's not the voice, it's the vocabulary and the accent.

Coming from a non-bluegrass background, I always cringe when a bluegrass player claims to be playing jazz or blues... and then uses all...
  14. Replies
    Views

I'm from a part of the country where Piedmont blues was the main form being played. I was lucky enough to learn guitar from the late John Cephas, and formed my initial harmonica chops taking private...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Chop chords help

Actually, gradually stretching *is* possible.

I suggest you play it 5 frets up, as a C chord. Put your fingers down and play it slowly (not chop) to be sure each string is fretted cleanly. Take...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Re-necking an OVation MM68?

For the benefit of future readers and to dispel any inaccurate rumors, here's the back of the Ovation MM68 mandolin, with a large access hole visible.

17. Re: While My Guitar Gently Weeps (for solo mandola)

This is inspiring.

When a piece of music grabs my attention, I often try to see if it fits on mandolin or mandola. I will also often cheat at watch videos which teach that piece on guitar,...
  18. Re: A likely contentious opinion on electric mandolins

I do use and like three different 5-string fretted electric violins, playing them as violins and also as mandolins. I have a NS Designs NST active, their WAV-5 passive, and a headless passive acrylic...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Hello from New Member!

Welcome!
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Yet Another CF Mandolin?

I hate strap buttons at the heel, because I use the whole neck. Please, make that optional at best. That's actually a deal breaker for me.
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Guitar songs on the mandolin

My main instrument is mandola, and I manage to play all kinds of '70s guitar-centric rock on it in the original keys (Doobies Listen to the Music, BTO Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet, Edgar Winter Group Free...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Tenor in CGCG -Chords reference

I normally accept that I have to build my own chord books for non-standard stuff. Here's the tool I use, putting in a custom tuning as per the instructions, looking at the resulting fretboard...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Cafe Member Bogle Has Passed Away

Sorry about the loss. The world needs more kindness.
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Math rock fans?

Here are three cuts which led me down the math rock path. I suggest enjoying them in the order given, and either on a good sound system with decent bass, or on good headphones/earphones.

25. Re: 25.5" scale Tenor Guitar, one that I can afford?

Jill, is this the first you've noticed this user doing this? Personally, I think it's hilarious when he routinely resurrects my various topics on my 6-course 25.5" mandophone in full fifths tuning...
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4