Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Sierra Ferrell: lots of mandolin content

Here's the CBS interview with Sierra.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqc6_n_lgvE&t=336s

lqc6_n_lgvE
  2. Replies
    Views

A brace of BRW's

I recently acquired this three-point oval hole BRW to complement my two-point f-hole mandolin that I have had and adored for over 5 years now. The oval is one of only two that I know about, and was...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Northfield Backpack Straps

Hey there - sorry if we missed some of your posts or comments regarding the straps. I think we have been in touch regarding some other items (if your alias corresponds to an email address we have on...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of what's on your bench?

Yes John. The bridge suits the new fan-frets. The nut remains in the same place which makes it more comfortable (less strain) playing barre chords on the lower frets
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Current state of the art flat top mandolin

Charles, I just ran across drawings of a "Hamburger Cithrinchen" aka Bell Cittern in Kevin Coates "Geometry, Proportions, and the Art of Lutherie". Thought you might be interested.
  6. Replies
    Views

The picture by Harley Marty of the refretted mandolin looks like it now has fan frets, so the bridge is not necessarily off in the photo, but angled to compensate for the fan fretting, Charles E. ...
  7. Replies
    Views

Oldest L-5! Lloyd Loar Signature!Analysis

This is a fantastic analysis of a recently discovered L-5 which turned out to be the oldest known example! It was signed on February 28th 1923 and was in remarkable shape- just a 1940s tailpiece and...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: New to Tenor Guitar (jazz)

I never played tenor banjo, but I discovered the methods available everywhere when I got serious about learning CGDA mandola. The three books which really got me using mandola to its fullest were...
  9. Replies
    Views

The Gibson Factory in Kalamazoo

I just happened across this brief youtube video thanks to their autosuggestion function. It's only a couple of years old and includes some interesting information. For one thing, it mentions plans by...
  10. Re: Current state of the art flat top mandolin

Yes they do have an induced arch. Top and Back both have a 15ft arch.
  11. Re: Current state of the art flat top mandolin

A couple of things I failed to mention that you can't get from the sound clips. My 4th generation flat tops are really loud. This mandolin has a big dynamic range, but the Ebony one has a...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Better tone with a Wooden Tailpiece ?

I believe that many fiddlers want the fine tuners on all strings but among fiddlers I know we generally prefer the lighter weight Wittner composite tailpieces which are actually made of very strong...
  13. Replies
    Views

Kentucky 272 vs Loar 310

Thought I would post this in case other beginner players are wondering since you won't find this direct comparison out there, at least I did not. I'm comparing apples and oranges since these are not...
  14. Replies
    Views

How to pack an instrument for shipping

Tony Williamson put this video together for a seller who had no experience shipping a valuable instrument. We thought it was well done and had great information that it should be available to all for...
  15. Re: First Mandolin Choice, what is available to me now

Well, MAS has already grabbed me and I upgraded my The Loar 310 F style to a Kentucky 272 oval hole. I am receiving it today so can't really say anything about it. The choice was predicated on the...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Classic Bar Frets Refretting HELP

I had an old Martin mandolin project with bar frets that were worn and needed replaced. I took them out and added some wood material to the bottom of the slots and reinstalled them upside down. I...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: This Dawg is a Dog

We're going to recommend that domain is likely a very unsafe place to do business. Doesn't take too long with some web searches to find a lot of people that agree with that assessment. YMMV.
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Trapeze tailpiece

Just so you know, you're responding to a three year old post, which is itself a response to a post from 2013.
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: First build with James Condino

Ask one of the other fellows to upload some video; that's not my best skill set & I'm way too busy to add that to the list!

Brandon's top is carved and tonebar braced. We glued it on to the live...
  20. Thread: Aged-tone?

by Skip Kelley
    Replies
    Views

Re: Aged-tone?

The mandolin that Cheryl has is one that was made with the oldest wood that I had. It was purchased from Ted Davis’ stash. I now have red spruce that was cut over 100 years ago. It is much older. It...
  21. Re: What are some of the best Mandolins that you all have played?

Just recently I paid a visit to Peter Coombe in Bega on a shorty round trip in SE Australia. I came across his fourth generation flat top mandolin he showed me. I compared it with all of his other...
  22. Replies
    Views

https://i.imgur.com/rqUZORJ.jpeg https://i.imgur.com/IELQ2Dy.jpeg
  23. Re: 1989 Gibson F5-L ‘Custom Shop’ Jim Triggs

You have to understand how the Gibson Custom shop worked in the days of Jim Triggs and Greg Rich.
  24. Re: What are some of the best Mandolins that you all have played?

I play both mandolin and guitar, and I'm always on the hunt for exceptional-sounding instruments. One thing I have learned from 40-plus years of trading and 60-plus years of playing:

It is much,...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Whiskey barrel octave mandolin

Since no one else has dared to bring it up, it would be ideal for playing Rye Whiskey or Whiskey Before Breakfast.

For posterity or whatever:

Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4