Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: How to de-skunk a mando?

Car detailers use ozone generators regularly to get rid of smoke smell in cars and it's widely used for fire restoration applications as well. I know it worked great for me. No detrimental effects...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: How to de-skunk a mando?

The only thing I've found that truly works is an ozone generator. You can buy a small one for $25 on Amazon. I bought an old Vega banjo from an individual that must have been a chain smoker. I...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: RIP Frank Ford

One of my favorite Frank quotes.... He often said when he sold a brand new instrument to someone "It'll never look better and it'll never sound worse.". I've used that one several times.
    If you've...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: RIP Frank Ford

Frank did a wonderful service to the lutherie world thru frets.com, as well as his teaching and willingness to share his knowledge. Whether you were looking for information on guitar neck sets,...
  5. Re: Jescar EVO Gold fretwire discontinued

I spoke to the folks at jescar a few months ago and while they didn't say where the supply issue was, they did say the foundry that makes the alloy for EVO can no longer get one of the materials that...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Virziectomy Major Surgery?

The absence of notches in the tone bars after a Virzi has been removed doesn't indicate that they've been reworked. Not all Virzi Loars had notches in the tone bars to accommodate the feet, per Tony...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Thoughts on Newgrass revival???

Don't forget, NGR toured as Leon Russells back up band for a couple of years starting in 1979. I saw them a couple of times in the late 70's with Curtis and Courtney and many times with Bela and Pat.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Bill Bussman passes

I only met Bill a couple of times, but that's not something you easily forget. Full of life, talent, and humor. We need more Bill Bussmans in the world. Condolences to his family and friends. He...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Dudenbostel 2-point

Bob....I don't know where you heard that I had plans to retire. That's NOT my plan. I have stopped taking custom orders but will continue to build what I want on my own schedule, then offering them...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Dudenbostel 2-point

Thanks for the kind words. Here's a video of Emory Lester playing it at Swannanoa.
    https://youtu.be/MkGhQtIqKLg
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Swannanoa Gathering 2019

I'll be there again to do repair and set-up work. Always a great week. Hope to see old friends and new faces as well. If all goes as it has the last few years, I'll be in the lounge across from...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Painting powder coat

I had a bicycle rack powder coated last year and because it was silver, they recommended it be coated with an automotive clear coat to keep it looking nice. So far, it's held up great! So, I assume...
  13. Re: Mandolin Brothers Book of Vintage News/ Photos?

I would think Walter Carter would be a valuable resource for information regarding publishing. Walter has written/co-written a number of books (including the recent book on the history of the...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Bill Collings has passed away

I only met Bill a couple of times, and the only thing bigger than his personality was his heart. He did more for small shop luthiers than most will ever know. He'll be missed. RIP Bill.
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Resaw blade

I've had wonderful results with the Wood Slicer blades from Highland Woodworking in Atlanta. They are made specifically for resawing. They come in 1/2" and 3/4". They have a variable pitch to the...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Evo wear

While a few folks seem to be ready to give up on EVO, I think these are extremely rare occurrences. I've installed over three pounds of EVO and haven't had a single issue with it. This occurrence...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Evo wear

I've done dozens of EVO fret jobs and haven't seen this myself, but Tom Ellis described the exact situation in the photos, but only on one mandolin. It has to be a chemistry thing.
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Who is headed to Swananoa in August?

I'll be back again this year. I feel very fortunate to be part of this wonderful camp. Hope to see a lot of you folks there!
    Lynn
  19. Re: Dudenbostel and Kemnitzer - great minds thinking alike.

Ken... yes, we went up to Louisville together that year, didn't we? You were at my house when I strung it up the previous night as I remember. We had a mini "Loarfest" in the basement on Thursday...
  20. Re: Dudenbostel and Kemnitzer - great minds thinking alike.

Yes, the first 4 were red spruce. Regarding Carpathian spruce, it's kind of interesting. It's picea abies, which is the predominant spruce in western and eastern Europe. It's sold as German...
  21. Re: Dudenbostel and Kemnitzer - great minds thinking alike.

Thanks for all the kind words folks. I will say that number 5 was an experiment in using Engelmann spruce. In my vast prior experience (4 mandolins.... ha!) were built with red spruce, like the...
  22. Re: Dudenbostel and Kemnitzer - great minds thinking alike.

#73747 is exceptional, however it wasn't that this particular one "moved" me in such a way to seek it out to use as a pattern. It was simply the one that was available. I've since measured a number...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Beer

I don't think I'd open it after a session on a Tonerite!
  24. Replies
    Views

Mandolin Beer

Well, you gotta like the bottle! I'm not a beer guy, so can't comment on the taste. But I suspect it has a "woody" flavor, with lots of "sustain" on the palette! It's from a brewery near Roanoke,...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Left Handed Hogwash?

Chris Thile is left handed.....just think how great he would be if he followed this guy's advise! Ha! 😝
Page 1 of 2 1 2