Search:

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: i am having problems with "clefs" again. Treble or alto

Exactly.

Plus, the C clef is moveable - any line on the staff can be middle C by placing the c clef where you want it. Mostly, it's the alto and tenor clef that uses the c clef.
  2. Re: i am having problems with "clefs" again. Treble or alto

The 'disadvantage' is that the mandola is lower in pitch. So most of the notes are below the treble staff on ledger lines. (and that is where the alto clef lives...).

This is hard and confusing if...
  3. Re: Do any companies make bowlback mandolins and banjolins anymor

The Ava Strings bowlback goes for about $3000 at current exchange rate.

Personally, if I were buying a brand new bowlback right now the Calace Company makes a simple model for a reasonable price....
  4. Re: Do any companies make bowlback mandolins and banjolins anymor

there's a way to hold a bowlback - no strap needed - that uses 3 points of contact: the left hand on the neck, the right arm on the side of the top, and the back of the bowl against one's leg and...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Looking for exotic scales for Mandola

I prbly should have posted this one instead - he says straight out what he's doing (approximating maqam on guitar).

https://youtu.be/HNm1hfWOK_M
  6. Replies
    Views

The books are not in front of me, but I think the pink one has diagrams of the scales, covering the entire fretboard.

The blue one is of chords, and since each diagram covers the entire fretboard,...
  7. Replies
    Views

This is another great system, but it is somewhat different than the makam traditions, although there are a number of similarities.

The essential thing is to remember a raga is not just a scale or...
  8. Replies
    Views

I think folks here may find it interesting to look at the thaat system of raga classification that can be found in North Indian classical music. This evolved in the 19th century as a way to classify...
  9. Replies
    Views

Good basic intro - but read my response below please

Maqam world is great!

This is a great point - many of the genres of maqam-oriented music do not use the 12 tone equal tempered scale.
  10. Replies
    Views

Adding my 2 cents here: it's helpful in a comparative since, especially when playing a wide range of these on an equally-tempered Western instrument (or the approximation of that on our fretted...
  11. Replies
    Views

This fellow has many vids introducing the most common maqam https://youtu.be/eKZYlFrgub8
  12. Replies
    Views

Those formulae work very well to describe various scales and modes, and make it easy to find a particular scale in any key. Plus they show clearly which notes vary from a basic major scale.
  13. Replies
    Views

Thank you David!
    That's it exactly--I was looking at Alan's post. Thanks for clearing things up.

What's your take on describing scales/modes as formulae in this fashion? 1,b2,...
  14. Replies
    Views

You may accidentally have my earlier posts confused with Alan's.

His post:

Here's my original post with the corrected scale spelling:
  15. Replies
    Views

Aha! Yes...
    In your earlier post the tones listed for Freygish included F natural. You did say start with a minor scale, so in this recent post when you say "natural 3rd" you mean the minor...
  16. Replies
    Views

Freygish would be:

1 b2 3 4 5 b6 b7.

"the Freygish "formula"would be 1, b2,b3,4,5,b6,b7, "

That's the formula for plain Phrygian mode, which gave the name to the Klezmer mode.

The...
  17. Replies
    Views

great discussion you cats

another approach that may interest the original poster is to number the tones, and create a "formula" for the new scale as compared to a major scale
    I just looked at...
  18. Re: Opinions about trading out a Weber Sage OM #1

If you’re looking for “the big warm sound,” you should probably stay away from maple back and sides, which is what the Sages often (always?) had, and go for walnut or mahogany. Rosewood on an OM...
  19. Replies
    Views

An alternate point of view...

When learning new knowledge or a new skill, it's not about the looking. One obviously needs to actually practice what is being studied in order to internalize it....
  20. Replies
    Views

You are certainly welcome Gypsy. Everyone is helpful here.
    I might add however that looking at books and charts is about as exciting as reading a dictionary! Interactive software helps. But...
  21. Replies
    Views

Here’s a scale reference page, there’s an audio file for each one.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_musical_scales_and_modes
    It can be good to get a teacher though, at least to show you how...
  22. Replies
    Views

Since that book has been out, others have made similar (and easier to understand), books and software programs. One called the Absolute Fretboard Trainer is outstanding....
  23. Replies
    Views

Gypsy, there are a couple of books I pull out when building materials from scratch, A Visual Guide to Chords and Arpeggios for Tenor Banjo in CGDA, and A Visual Guide to Scales for Tenor Banjo in...
  24. Replies
    Views

Yea, that's a good chart. With a little creative effort, one can play just the chords from one to the next with some tremlo and have a very Russian sounding doyna. Or one can play the note patterns...
  25. Replies
    Views

That reminds me of a comment I heard in the early 80's at the first couple of Klez camps in New York:

Dm is not just another key, it's a way of life.

There is a lot of connection to the...
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4