Search:

Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: NOT an essential service?!

I have played both. I have quit commenting on Girouard mandolins. I have played a few Pava and they all have a wonderful clarity, nice resonance and I’d be happy to own one. Collings is a brighter...
  2. Replies
    Views

Over reaction sure. But every time I read someone suggesting any interaction whatever, like, I can go over and visit my girl friend, or I can go down to the hardware store and get stuff for that...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: poor quality or MAS?

EVERY inexpensive mandolin needs a setup. The cheaper the mandolin, the more it needs one. A professional would charge at least $50. So Rob Meldrum is the way to go. But I’d buy an Eastman 300 series...
  4. Replies
    Views

What part of social distancing do you guys not understand? Does it only apply to everyone else, or only if it isn’t inconvenient to you? When it shows up in your area, it’s too late.
  5. Thread: Guitar Cafe?

by Br1ck
    Replies
    Views

Re: Guitar Cafe?

Acoustic Guitar Forum. Let’s Talk Guild, but haven’t been able to connect lately. Defunct?

You have to pay to use the AGF classifieds.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: buying first mando without playing?

Even those of us with a modest amount of experience, four years in my case, and who live in relative mandolin heaven, don't have access to very many brands, particularly one man shops. We each can...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: The virus, the economy, mandolins and you

After three weeks, it's not the actual change, I'm retired and maybe went out twice a week, but the psychology of can't that's getting to me. That, and everyone you see is a potential killer.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Shelter-in-place (NMC)

Once in a while I get serious. This is the time. We have but one tool to get a handle on this. Without the ability to test, it is each person's job to assume you are positive, just asymtomatic....
  9. Re: Torrafied is actually an ancient Jewish process

You had me hook, line and sinker, and a bad joke to boot!
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Thank you, Eastman

Good for Eastman. You may just be able to slip the new saddle onto the old base and save yourself from fitting the new bridge.
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Uncharted territory in my mandolin life

Be grateful if you are still employed. My son in law is a senior engineer designing chips in Silicon Valley. He hates the management aspect and would rather just do the science. He’s really happy to...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Some instruments take time to sell

Viola is an under appreciated instrument. Used primarily in chamber music and symphonies, the type A parents always aspire that their talented little ones will be the next Joshua Bell, so they steer...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Choir Practice Turns Fatal

Informed decision? Yes, the sixty people who chose to stay home did make informed decisions. The rest chose not to believe the science. The consequences are indeed sad. Families and health workers...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: buying first mando without playing?

My .02 is if you want an F style, and believe me I get it, resolve to buy a Country Boy F or a Siverangel F rather than something like the Loar. But the fact is, an A style will give you the tone and...
  15. Replies
    Views

People are going to have to sell instruments. What we all can do is if we see something we want, and it’s priced fairly, pay the price. That two hundred bucks you might be tempted to save could feed...
  16. Thread: Informal Poll

by Br1ck
    Replies
    Views

Re: Informal Poll

The two most expensive instruments I have bought were a cello and a viola. Both were exceptional for the price $12,000 and $5500 respectively. One to each daughter. Those were merely serious student...
  17. Thread: Informal Poll

by Br1ck
    Replies
    Views

Please ditch the notion you have to reach a level of ability to deserve a fine instrument. For one thing, builders would go broke. Buy what you want to for whatever reasons but this one. My mission...
  18. Replies
    Views

My grandson turned 7 last week. At ten in the morning, my daughter acting on a text message, put her laptop in front of him and one by one his classmates came on to wish him a happy birthday. His...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Strap Recommendation

There are no questions considered dumb here.
  20. Thread: Waiting for UPS

by Br1ck
    Replies
    Views

Re: Waiting for UPS

Ears are funny things. They get accustomed to a sound, and at first don’t like another. They do adjust though. Going from dark to bright can sound harsh, and the other way sound muddy. Fortunately...
  21. Thread: Informal Poll

by Br1ck
    Replies
    Views

What? An internet forum poll doesn't count as serious scientific market research? Serious mandolinists don't come hear for their information? People have real lives with better things to do? What...
  22. Replies
    Views

There will be deals. I hate that part of the crisis. My actual retired life is really not that different. With five dogs and a large garden, I routinely go a week without leaving my house. But...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Breaking in or Opening Up

I feel it’s something that can happen, but can’t be counted on. I just had an experience with an adi top. When I first strung my Arches up, I was pretty pleased, but the G strings didn’t have quite...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Collings MT2 vs MF-GT?

Don’t at least some of the higher end MTs feature European spruce? That and cooked tops will affect tone. I’ve played the range of MFs many times at Gryphon, and there has always seemed to me to be a...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Just bought my first mandolin!

The term Cafe Sponsor is used here for stores that contribute to keeping the Cafe running and it turn they are listed at the top of the forum pages and the classifieds. Click on the names or store...
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4