Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: How to build responsiveness in?

Too bad about that human element. ;<)
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: RIP Frank Ford

One of my favorite Frank quotes.... He often said when he sold a brand new instrument to someone "It'll never look better and it'll never sound worse.". I've used that one several times.
    If you've...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: RIP Frank Ford

Frank did a wonderful service to the lutherie world thru frets.com, as well as his teaching and willingness to share his knowledge. Whether you were looking for information on guitar neck sets,...
  4. Replies
    Views

Wynton Marsalis on Hearing the Worst Band Ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt2BEpTs2i8
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: The Australian Mandolin Quartet

The two mandolins for the quartet strung up today. A bit exciting! The mandola and the mandocello will get done next week. They sound quite similar, but with subtle differences. So far, doing what...
  6. Re: Gilchrist Using The Tone Traveler On Mike Compton's Mandolin

The individual that started this thread has been permanently banned from the Mandolin Cafe and Classifieds for posing as an interested party for a product and attempting to drum up enthusiasm for it...
  7. Re: Gilchrist Using The Tone Traveler On Mike Compton's Mandolin

Certainly don’t know, but when I put Mr. Spruce in the oven, I’m pretty sure he was torrified.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: F4 design evolution/solutions

I posted many pictures in older threads that would cover some of the talk above. I'll post some of those and later Imay find some other pics relevant here.
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: F4 design evolution/solutions

This thread would be so much better with pictures ;)
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Mike Compton Rare & Fine

Because they posted on a news thread those aren't their thoughts? Not following that. Just an observation. There are some before, some after.

Vaguely related to this: the supposed "DJ and...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Mike Compton Rare & Fine

There was this posted over a month ago with a bunch of comments, and then again regarding the first single release. It's a recording of historic importance, simple as that. It *should* be a GRAMMY...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: 1920s Harmony Shutt Style Mandolin

That's a similar - almost certainly Harmony made - example of the Shutt design. It's been stripped and has an amateur refinish, and non-original bridge. An amateur neck reset (with a pin added...
  13. Replies
    Views

Guilty - Aaron Weinstein

I suggested to Aaron awhile back this might be a good tune to learn some day. One of my all-time favorite jazz numbers. I love what he did with it, hope you enjoy! Thank you, Aaron.

14. Re: Mike Compton+Norman Blake Live performance video Gallop t Geo

The video's source may have blocked the 'sharing' of the video.
    But you can go to youtube and see it there.

lUK6PUkRhfQ
  15. Re: Mike Compton+Norman Blake Live performance video Gallop t Geo

Use the video insert command if you're using the full web address. If you're using the YouTube insert tool it requires only the identifying video letters/numbers. More info on that here.
  16. 1923 Gibson Mandolin Production Estimate - By Model

To the best of my knowledge there are no surviving Gibson factory documents with production totals for the year 1923. I have produced the following estimated production, using my own private serial...
  17. Michael Daves and Tony Trischka featuring Jen Larson - live!

Hello all,

We at Retrofret Vintage Guitars in Brooklyn, NY are having a special show this upcoming Sunday, November 10th from 2 to 3 pm! It will be an intimate musical gathering with three...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Gruhn Snakehead? what do we have here?

From the Forum posting guidelines:

- Refrain from using the forum as a point of purchasing or selling items or for the purpose of discussing or linking to items you are selling. Please limit...
  19. Re: Did you catch the Ken Burns Country Music series opening?

My only disappointments have been not seeing Homer and Jethro and minimal mention of the Delmore Brothers. I believe it was Hank Williams said "You have not made it in Nashville till your song has...
  20. Re: Musical Instruments To Be Exempt From Restrictions

Sonowood is an interesting alternative. It's not torrefied, it's maple or spruce crushed under huge pressures and temperature treated to get the desired color. Kind of torrefied, but also...
  21. Re: Seller’s Remorse - 2008 custom Weber Fern

I just sent you the data on it including the only two people who replied to your ad. Interestingly, only 390 total ads in the Classifieds in early 2010.
  22. Replies
    Views

New five course mandocello

A five course mandocello (with added high e string). Carved sitka soundboard, Australian blackwood body and mahogany neck. 25" scale, 14" wide body, 3" deep and slightly deeper at the tail. CF...
  23. Replies
    Views

Mandolin art (drawing)

I did this piece a few years ago and recently ran across it. Thought someone here might enjoy it as a desktop background or something. Pretty sure this is an old painting or photo I saw and...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Disappointed with the Nashville music scene

The best bluegrass you're gonna find in Nashville (outside of a killer Station Inn show) is every Wednesday night at American Legion Post 82 in East Nash. Great stuff

They do fantastic old-school...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Tone right

In 2008, everyone was playing Mumford & Sons.
    The music was so boring, everyone's mandolins went to sleep, hence the need for Tone-Rites to wake them up.
    It was something of an epidemic. Play...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3