Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Thread: Cases

by Loudloar
    Replies
    Views

Re: Cases

I've built quite a few cases. It's a huge about of work, takes very specialized skills and just sourcing the materials is quite a chore and potentially more expensive than buying a standard case....
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Tips on chords in Jazz

Something I'd like to share that I learned from Don Stiernberg--when discussing music (and this can be said for art of any kind), generalized adjectives like, "good", "great", "terrible", "awful"...
  3. Replies
    Views

The Green Dolphin Street video sounds great because Don is staying in one place for that "cool" effect.

In general, jazz chording will sound right if there is very little movement, little or no...
  4. Replies
    Views

Dear drbhrb,

Please be more specific about which chord sounds you don't like. I don't mean to defend my bad sounding chords, and I would like to help. A quick review of the samples above...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Chips-Chips-Chips

I'm a 'Blue Chip-er' for life.

Others rant and rave about this and that, but...

I've found the most wonderful balance of... speed, slipperiness across the strings and stickiness between the...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Picks - Science Question

I deny the dichotomy. I deny that the pursuit of a better tone through pick choice means you are avoiding learning good technique from a teacher, or that caring about what strings you use is some how...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Bartlett mic

The Bartlett mics are omnidirectional. That equates to less proximity effect (aka 'bass emphasis') used close, so less need to roll-off any LF but at the same time, much greater susceptibility to...
  8. Replies
    Views

I use one on my 24 A2. At their recommendation for an oval hole, I bought the guitar mic. It clips just inside the sound hole. As with any mic, you have to watch your position for feedback. I've...
  9. Replies
    Views

Any of the good quality Lav mics can work, as can most of the 'Saxophone' or other wind instrument clip on type mics. So, for example, AT PRO 35, ATM350 or DPA 4099. Another excellent one is the AT...
  10. Re: Swing chords and progressions for mandolin by Don Stiernberg

Hey all you cats,

Just spent a very pleasant day in the video studio yesterday with Corey Richardson of Soundslice.com. We cut a new online video course to be entitled "Rhythm and...
  11. Re: Blue Chip Picks - Help Understanding Different Types

If your subjective experience is that a BC pick is not worth your $35, then I don't think anyone will take issue with your statement. However, your two previous posts which seem to assert objectively...
  12. Article: V-PICKS Giveaway Starts April 24

You can view the page at https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/content.php?357-V-Picks-Giveaway-Starts-April-24

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=156228&d=1492629260&stc=1
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: New favorite (cheap) pick.

Meldin (polyimide)

C.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Another thread comparing 3 mandos

2,1 then 3

1 sounds like an oval hole, hollow sound but with overtones tipping into tinny. Could be a flat top
    2 sounds like an oval hole, hollow sound but much more focussed than 1 - arch top
  15. Replies
    Views

On a second listening, today I'm liking #1 the best. It has more focus than #2. Still think #3 is too thin sounding for my taste.
  16. Replies
    Views

1 then 2, both sounded line oval holes, 2 a tubby Gibson sound.

3 was not to my tastes :)
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Tune: It Had to be You in the key of G

...and the tune has a good verse to it. Whenever I hear someone today who sings or plays the verse to a standard, I feel that person ought to be given some kind of prize.
  18. Replies
    Views

I preferred 1 on the melody as I liked the roundness of the individual notes.
    I preferred 2 on both the chord recording.
    I felt that both were close on all,
    3 was last in all.
  19. Replies
    Views

2-3-1, fwiw
  20. Replies
    Views

Right on! Next time my wife gets on my case for wasting too much time on the internet, I'm sending her right to this thread, so she can see how helpful I am!
    Thanks!
  21. Replies
    Views

My take is

#1 FOR MELODY (then2); #2 FOR CHORDS (then1) ; #1 FOR CHOP (then2)

#3 was last place in all categories.
  22. Replies
    Views

That's my preference, too. 2-1-3. Al gave all the reasons.
  23. Replies
    Views

I like #2, then #1, with #3 far behind the others. #2 has a more full and well defined sound, to me, in both chording and solo. #1 is a close second. #3 sounds too thin. I don't think it would cut it...
  24. Replies
    Views

Virtual Tour of Elderly Instruments

I don't have the time or money to visit Elderly — it has been quite a while since I was actually there, but, in the meantime Stan and gang have provided a virtual tour to check out the store. Too bad...
  25. Punch Brothers, My Oh My, except with even more joy

I really don't usually wish I were 20 again, but

https://youtu.be/nFv4xQSUp7I
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3