Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Hoffee case in the Asheville area?

Thank you Mr. Minstrel for yet another wonderfully eloquent and mature response. Have a lovely weekend!
  2. Replies
    Views

Just trying to help,...., you're welcome. So sorry I don't know who you are, or that I am uaware of your self imposed level of importance. Jeeesh, this is why I rarely post on forums.
  3. Replies
    Views

Dream guitars is a Hoffee dealer. Not sure if Paul keeps them in stock, but I'd bet he'd let you try one out if he did.
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: String Change and Recycle/Re-purpose

http://www.darrylpurpose.com/second-strings-project/
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: 2003 F5G Original Case

Thanks Nick, that is what I guessed. I've seen them with and without Gibson logos.
  6. Re: Pava A5 vs Girouard A5 - how do they compare?

I considered both, ended up with Girouard #79. Although Max does use a lot of variation of woods, every Girouard I have played shared a certain tonal quality I will describe as sweet and balanced....
  7. Re: Stolen 10 years ago, on craigslist today - what can I do?

My gut tells me this was not a kid looking for a guitar to play. It also tells me this guy was a pro and was at his daily "job" acquiring merchandise to sell. I've managed retail for 20 years and see...
  8. Replies
    Views

New Jam in Raleigh NC

Veteran bluegrass pro Jan Johannson will be hosting a bluegrass jam at Little City Brewing & Provision Co. beginning Sunday, Feb. 5 at 3:00. This will be a "traditional bluegrass" oriented jam. Only...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Andrew Marlin's F

It's a beast of a guitar. He co-built it when working part time in the shop of James Griggs of Griggs Guitars http://www.griggsguitars.com/ . Lot's of info on the interwebs re this guitar. Andrew...
  10. Re: Some of Norman Blake's Instruments up for sale at Carter Vint

Norman had a transient ischemic attack, often described as a mini-stroke back in 2012. He was back to recording and playing live in about 6 months from what I recall. He has released albums of his...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Dempsey's Hutto

Actually Scott sold the Hutto several years back. He played an F5 style with Gibson on the headstock for a few years after selling the Hutto. After owning it for a while and doing a bit of research,...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: D'Addario - Seeking Mandolin Beta Testers

Don from D'Addario has posted on this thread regarding the process. He has been extremely prompt and courteous in answering all my inquiries via email. This offer was open to many beyond the Cafe',...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Dunlop Strings???

Dunlops are not private labeled D'addarios. The Dunlop folks were at IBMA last year hawking their strings. They claim to make their own strings in California. They gave me a set their Phosphor Bronze...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Very good Girouard Talon review clip

Ron, I highly recommend starting that conversation!
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Very good Girouard Talon review clip

Nice review and great recording. The Talon sounds very similar to the tone of my Girouard A-style when it was new. After a year and a half, I can say the lower register has developed a much throatier...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Information on Paul Newson mandolins

Skip Gorman is playing one these days. I noticed he recently had his Gibson up for sale, so I'm guessing the Newson is a keeper.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Advice on repair to endpin hole please

Most luthiers I know recommend building up the end pin with superglue. Coat the pin with glue, let it harden and cure BEFORE inserting into the instrument. Repeat until you build up to the desired...
  18. Re: Can anyone tell me the make/model of this mandolin...

Not sure who built it, but I believe it is the same 'dola he loans to Courtney in this vid.

https://youtu.be/G5ZrdDh6IwI

or is playing himself in this vid.

https://youtu.be/guLYNvvLSN8
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Work trip: Durham, NC

This should hook you up with some jams: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?112507-Jams-in-and-close-to-Raleigh-RTP&highlight=raleigh

While in Durham head to SoundPure...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: What the pros play?

Scott discussed his mandolin at the workshop he did at IBMA last year. He plays a no-name Gibson F5 clone built by/as a personal employee instrument at the Guild factory. I think Scott said it was...
  21. Replies
    Views

John Reischman and John Miller Concert

Really great playing from Reischman and John Milller. In addition to his famous Loar, John also plays an A. Lawrence Smart mandola during the performance.
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: My first IBMA

Saturday, 6:15 at Tir Na Nog, bluegrass legend Jan Johansson will be hosting an "International Bluegrass Band" which in addition to Jan on fiddle, will also include Jens Kruger on banjo and Toshio...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: My first IBMA

I'd suggest attending Tony Williamson's "Vintage Instrument Tasting" at 1:00 on Saturday. Always interesting and includes some great additional players as well. Last year it was Tony on mando, Noam...
  24. Re: Short film about Wilkie mandolins/guitars.

This video was my first introduction to Mr. Wilkie, as well as his instruments. I really like this guy and am swooning over that birdseye A-style he is polishing at the end. Thanks for posting, Caleb.
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Loar 700 vs Kentucky km 855

I recently played a few "The Loar"s at a local guitar shop. The least impressive of them was the highest priced 700-VS. Completely dead tonally. The best of the bunch was the much lower priced 300....
Page 1 of 2 1 2