Search:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Wide Nut Fever?

Nut width is something the guys over at AGF obsess over. There are guitar players who say they can only play 1-3/4" nuts, others swear it's gotta be 1-11/16" while others swear anything less than...
  2. Elderly Instruments recognized by U.S. Chamber of Commerc

Congrats to everyone at Elderly Instruments on this recognition just announced:

Elderly Instruments Aims to Be a ‘Conservator of Musical Heritage’

Elderly Instruments, the Great Lakes regional...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Norman Blake's mandocello?

I always attempt to find the earlier scars on the top on the newer picture. There appears to be at least one that lines up up but I don't have a large monitor today.
  4. Is an LDC mic worth it if my room isn’t treated

I’m a hobbiest/session player/small time content creator.
    I have a few budget mics -SM57, 58, Rode M5 SDC (was a pair but 1 is humming).
    They don’t really pick up the instrument(s) right. Thin,...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Why is the A string always jacked up?

It's interesting to note that among common similar complaints, in standard tuning with guitar, 5-string banjo and Dobro it's the B string, with the bass it's the D string... And with a number of...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Scary loud bang when raising bridge

Feeling lucky? How about a jumped thread on the bridge screw? Thin brass thumbwheel nut only has a few threads and at tension, you’ve got perhaps 15 lbs to raise. If that’s the issue, the loud bang...
  7. Thread: Saddle damage

by sunburst
    Replies
    Views

Re: Saddle damage

Usually you can shave the top down a little and start over with the string notches. If the piece is weak or already cut down to thin that might not work, but if the bridge was new when the slots were...
  8. Re: What price level and up gets you a "lifelong keeper" mandolin

I eventually upgraded from my Silverangel econo model, but it was mainly because I wanted something new and a little more balanced tone up the neck. But, it was a professional grade instrument that...
  9. Thread: Moon Wood

by sunburst
    Replies
    Views

Re: Moon Wood

It's really not much better than ordinary wood unless it is harvested by leprechauns, and since leprechauns are not normally from the Swiss Alps they must be brought in at considerable expense. The...
  10. Re: Gibson threatening the mandolin and guitar luthier community

Actually their business models are honed precisely to put food on the table, the fact that they are based upon Gibson designs from the 1920's is besides the point. Building instruments that are...
  11. Re: Gibson threatening the mandolin and guitar luthier community

I was part of some of the efforts to protect their product, trademarks, etc by Gibson while I was there. There is a lot more to this than just emotions or wanting to kick the big dog. I was used as...
  12. Re: Gibson threatening the mandolin and guitar luthier community

There's a big difference between a copy and a counterfeit. (A point which appears to be lost on Mark Agnesi in his role as Gibson spokesman.)

I agree that counterfeit instruments - instruments...
  13. Re: Gibson threatening the mandolin and guitar luthier community

Flatiron: setting the record straight and a bit of context:

I primarily agree with the prior posts here which emphasize the untenable act of forging the 'Gibson' name and passing off forgeries and...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Sunscreen and mandolin finishes

I use zinc and natural oils...I avoid getting it on my Mandolin, but if I do it’s not eating the finish and can wipe off.
    I don’t use synthetic insect repellent, especially when I’m playing or...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Man I need a good tuner...

I think Ed nailed it, it takes some getting used to a more accurate tuner. The good ones, with a little practice, will let you dial in as accurate a tune as you have time for. My snark tight would...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: A4 or Fake on eBay?

Were any older A's constructed with non-integrated fingerboard extensions?
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Alec Finn RIP

Alec was an absolute genius. To me, he was the sound of De Danann. It was his completely new style of bouzouki playing back in the 70s that gave them their unique great sound. He'll be sorely missed....
  18. Replies
    Views

OK, let's talk about glues . . .

The recent thread on headstock repair inspired me to bring this up. In one of the posts, one of our members mentioned a fish glue repair that failed twice. When one of my suppliers first started...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: 3 Best Recordings of Irish Accompaniment

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the fine recordings of Kevin Macleod, especially those with Alec Finn. Accompaniment and lead shifting back and forth, and with great respect for the melodies.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Mystery Instrument

Dad comes home from work to find that one of the kids, the one with the knack for woodworking, has 'customized' Dad's favorite guitar :disbelief: as a birthday present. Imagine the look on Dad's...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: I'm cringing...

There's a twenty minute cutscene of Kristoff in a guitar shop on the Blu-Ray. Luthier: "Oh, see, this is a classic example of wolf defense damage. Stew-Mac makes a tool just for this."
  22. Replies
    Views

Not to worry! Kristoff always takes his beater lute with him when he's travelling.
  23. Replies
    Views

Kristoff needs a steel-bodied National Triolian lute. Kills wolves and plays da blues....
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Reason I Buy Two Buck Chuck !

I believe in using my resources to support the type of artisan endeavors I appreciate and want to see continued. I believe there is value in supporting the small estate wineries in which the wine is...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Reason I Buy Two Buck Chuck !

Well, I have to say: I was perfectly happy with Two Buck Chuck for a good many years -- and especially when I was in grad school, and had a net negative income! Eventually, though, my wine-tasting...
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4