Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Tailpiece help

Violins have a saddle, usually made of ebony, inlaid into the top or the rib to keep the tail gut from compressing the edge of the rib and to distribute the string load to the tail button..

If you...
  2. Thread: 5 string tenor

by djweiss
    Replies
    Views

Re: 5 string tenor

Here are three samples:
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Fret board slotting

Forget shimming. Many folks (and perhaps even the pre-cut boards from suppliers) use zero fret slot on their boards and trim the board right through that slot. The tiny amount of wood missing...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolins in the works

Also in the works..............An Iceman and a Sherman Tank:)
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Long vs short scale setup question

For me nut height (meaning depth of slots) as low as it goes (down to original new fret height, I don't lower the slots when I dress frets), though on mandolins I sometimes add a bit which seems to...
  6. Re: Who makes an affordable full custom 5-string electric mandoli

I have an Eastwood electric tenor, so I know what you mean about trying to find out something reasonable in the next step up. I love my JL Smith 5-string so much, I'm considering having him build me...
  7. Re: Who makes an affordable full custom 5-string electric mandoli

Not an answer to your question, just a little intrusion from the builders perspective:

If you want to keep the cost low...

*Make up you mind. 4 or 5 string, no middle ground.
    *Know what scale...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Selling instruments online

Big question, here! IMHO, instruments are selling slowly these days, compared to pre-2008. People just seemed to have had more spending money allotted for their hobbies, back then, again in my...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: F hole body vs Oval hole

I keep looking at this and wondering "Do I want to touch this?" and "What's the rationale?" The fact is, many luthiers have done, and continue to do, essentially what the OP suggested. Then there...