Search:

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Chord Tones, Intervals, and Scales Flash Cards (or app)

If you're just trying to memorize theory, flash cards are helpful IMO. I used to have a stack in my car and would pull them out at stop lights or in heavy traffic. Basic things like "What's the 1 3...
  2. Re: Strategies (or contraptions) to tame the flying fingers?

A few thoughts - hope it helps :)

1. Play major scales but do not lift your fingers on the way up the scale - if your playing an A major scale for example, your 1st finger plays the A on the 2nd...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Thoughts on keys.

One thing to keep in mind - sometimes the "odd" keys for bluegrass (like F#, Eb, Ab - or even micro-tones) weren't a result of specific tunings - but recording speeds being altered with things like...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Technique adjustments

Well, yes and no. The point of the academic practice is to hone your skills on a particular subject to the point that you can play it for fun. The point of the fun practice is to then purposely take...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Thoughts on keys.

I'd say that prejudice comes from a few places (no order)

1. Ignorance of other ways to play something
    2. Lacking the skills needed to do something another way
    3. Lacking the confidence in ones...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Technique adjustments

Changing technique is both the worst and best thing. It sucks having to relearn whatever it is, but it's usually followed by attaining new abilities that weren't accessible before. Most musicians...
  7. Re: There has got to be something better than Tabledit, right?

Musescore is my go to for writing out anything these days.

It's pretty easy to get the basics (and even easier once you get the keyboard shortcuts down) and it makes changing things around a...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Nashville Chord changes

You mean something like this right? Where measure 7 is chord changing 4 times in a bar and the others are 2 times in a bar correct?

I'm not aware of any specific names for that. But, 3...
  9. Re: Jam Etiquette / Rules Question - Should songs be banned

Dull tunes are tunes that, personally, find dull. I find Old Home Place pretty dull these days too. I know many love that tune though - that's cool too.

I'm sure when you play it with your...
  10. Re: Jam Etiquette / Rules Question - Should songs be banned

Wow, lots of feedback! I appreciate it.

To put some additional context here regarding the "inclusivity" aspect of some of the responses.

Myself and a few friends host about 4 jams a week in...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Wintergrass Jam 2/22 - 2/25

It's mostly so I can look at this post when I lose the schedule haha.
  12. Re: Jam Etiquette / Rules Question - Should songs be banned

Mostly it's origins - there's a lot of articles on this.

My take is here - https://mattcbruno.com/why-i-dont-play-turkey-in-the-straw/

Here's a few others.
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: question about apps to learn to sight read

For me - I found the old school method books worked best. You just have to the exercises - a lot and slowly. When I was teaching guitar in high school / college, I taught a lot of kids - which...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Wintergrass Jam 2/22 - 2/25

I'm excited too meet up with y'all!! I'll be going Friday & Saturday for sure but not sure yet about Thursday or Sunday. I'm not planning on staying (likely driving and/or using Uber) - though I...
  15. Replies
    Views

Stolen Mandolin in Seattle (Roosevelt area)

Hey all -

A buddy of mine had his 2004 Eastman 2 point mandolin stolen in Seattle recently. Unfortunately he doesn't have the serial number (friendly reminder, write down the SN's of your...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Advice on Hosting a Workshop

I run a bunch of workshops, happy to help where I can.

There's two main types of workshops - essentially "mechanical" workshops that focus on a specific set of skills (double stops, G runs etc)...
  17. Replies
    Views

Soldier's Joy - Tune Breakdown

Hey all -

I figured I'd share my recent breakdown for Soldier's Joy. This is my Tune of the Week for the bluegrass jam I run and one that I should have learned a long time ago haha. I've...
  18. Re: Post a picture of your Blue Grass jam you attend

Here's a couple from the jam I'm hosting in Seattle.
  19. Re: Effortless Mastery - Tips for Playing in the Zone

I used to watch TV and practice repetitive motions (scales etc) a lot in college - it doesn't work as well these days though. I think this is both age and medium - watching TV that has ads etc vs...
  20. Thread: Pick technique

by mbruno
    Replies
    Views

Re: Pick technique

The most commonly accepted picking technique for 4/4 (and 2/4) tunes is down / up. 3/4 (6/8) and other times have slight variations (like D-D-U or D-U-U). Triplets also are off (usually D-U-D...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Mid-Hudson Valley, NY

Not really bluegrass related - but my friend Lara lives in Kingston and is really involved in the music scene there. She plays in a rockabilly band called Lara Hope and the Ark-Tones...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Second chord in Old Home Place

As an aside - this is a similar idea for the 6th. A lot of tunes use the major 6 instead of the minor (Salty Dog comes to mind where the VI7 is used). It also functions as a secondary dominant.
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Centralia Music Campout (WA)

I'm thinking about it. I can't stay during the week, but it's only 1.5 hrs from me - so I may pop in for the weekend.

Do you know if it's a dog friendly event?
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Newbie - advice on lessons

Going to local jams is a great way to find a teacher too.

https://www.visitchattanooga.com/blog/post/bluegrass-in-chattanooga/
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/901784607004120/

Check out...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Darrington Bluegrass (WA)

Great time at Darrington this weekend - and great to meet Mandobart!! Lots of fun jamming. He's a great bass player BTW!

Here he is playing in the band scramble (bass)

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4