Search:

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Gift of Summer

Dear mandolin friends around the world,

Before we break for the summer, one final, musical gift. My esteemed friend, Dutch mandolinist and pedagogue Alex Timmerman did me the honor of performing...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Fond Memories, Fond Wishes

I neglected to mention that the score of this composition, like all my works for unaccompanied mandolin, is readily available as a free download from the site of our venerable James Garber of...
  3. Re: SILVIO RANIERI - Mandolinist, Conductor and Composer.

Wow. Thank you.
  4. Re: SILVIO RANIERI - Mandolinist, Conductor and Composer.

I'm loving all the research into Ranieri you and Ralf are doing, Alex. Keep it up. I really enjoy the sound of the mandolin section with other orchestral instruments, such as oboe and flute. It seems...
  5. Tracks of San Francisco Italian Mandolin Masters

I acquired several cassette tapes of master mandolin players who lived and played in San Francisco and the Bay Area. I don't think these tracks are available elsewhere. I have been slowly digitizing...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Concerts of Note

WOW! :disbelief: That's truly a landmark for the mandolin on the world stage!

Three cheers for Ferdinand, and wishes for continuing successes,

Victor
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: New roman instruments

Un regalo muy rico, for the Holiday, Alex. Gracias, amigo. I look forward to seeing (and hearing) more from this mandola.

Feliz Navidad, my friend.

Mick
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: How many frets for classical music?

Some of the solo pieces need the high G.

I say 27 frets is the minimum. 29 would be better for covering violin solo literature.

However, most of the music I play does not need those notes. I...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: How many frets for classical music?

My Embergher 5bis has 29 frets, as does my La Bottega del Mandolino Magistrale :mandosmiley:
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Classical Mandolin Dealers

Apologies for any offence -- I should have written "unacceptable to some" rather than "many", but the point was that the setup and tone of an Embergher is very different from, say, a modern Woll...
  11. NAME in Spain: 45th Festival Internacional de Plectro de la Rioja

The New American Mandolin Ensemble (NAME) will give three concerts as part of the 45th Festival Internacional de Plectro de la Rioja, in Logroño, La Rioja, Spain. The NAME program will feature works...
  12. Re: 'Nordsee Lieder' by Victor Kioulaphides. Amsterdam premiere '

A truly magnificent performance...

Three cheers to Sytse, Alex, and Het Consort!

Victor
  13. Re: LA VOCE DEL MANDOLINO -New Solo Mandolin CD Sebastiaan de Gre

I purchased Sebastiaan's first CD from his website shortly after it's release and have enjoyed his artistry immensely. This second offering will no doubt be a fine addition to anyone's classical...
  14. Re: LA VOCE DEL MANDOLINO -New Solo Mandolin CD Sebastiaan de Gre

Anyone who attempts my Sweelinck Variations is truly heroic— or a tad masochistic. :)) I look forward to hearing Sebastiaan's performances on this album. He balances brilliance and delicacy in equal...
  15. Replies
    Views

NYC Freiheit Mandolin Orchestra 1925

I've been meaning to post this (unpublished) photo of what I understand was an ancestor of the New York Mandolin Orchestra. The Freiheit Mandolin Orchestra was based in the Bronx, and I believe was...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Fame (or just Old Age?)

Ah, yes... the fame of becoming an annotated footnote. I'll say this much: it certainly measures up to my wealth, with periodic royalty statements listing ~vast~ sums of the $1.99 magnitude. :))
  17. Partita No2 for solo violin Gigue in Dm JS Bach on mandolin

I was playing some Bach on my mandolin in my kitchen last night and I recorded this piece.

https://soundcloud.com/gina-le-faux/js-bach-partita-no2-gigue-in-dm-for-solo-violin-or-mandolin
  18. Re: The Song of the Japanese Autumn by Het Consort & Sytse Buwald

I think that's one of the most exciting mandolin ensemble performances I've ever heard. Really wonderful. Thank you.
  19. Re: The Song of the Japanese Autumn by Het Consort & Sytse Buwald

One of my favourite pieces. Great approach to take, well done for being innovative.
  20. Re: The Song of the Japanese Autumn by Het Consort & Sytse Buwald

Beautiful ensemble playing. The music sounds like a film score.
  21. Re: The Song of the Japanese Autumn by Het Consort & Sytse Buwald

Very beautiful, and interesting. Not what I was expecting.
  22. Re: The SONG OF THE JAPANESE AUTUMN by HET CONSORT & SYTSE BUWALD

Wow. That was truly beautiful. Thank you!
  23. Re: New video: Ferdinand Binnendijk - PRELUDIO I by Raffaele Cala

What a delight this performance was! I've viewed it several times since Alex posted it, and each time I'm more awed than the last.
    A truly landmark piece of Calace's, played on an richly...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: 'Les Gravures de Gustave Doré by John Craton

I took you advice and found some images of Dore's engravings, mainly the Divine comedy -very atmospheric, thanks.
  25. Re: Bach on the Liuto cantabile by Ferdinand Binnendijk

I jumped ahead to the bouree, 9:10, as that is the part I am most familiar with. Just wonderful.

Then I reset and played the whole thing, on my bigger speakers in the living room. Delightful.
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4