Search:

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Old Gibson A mandolin copy?

You can go to Hardly Strictly Bluegrass and see 80 bands for free 1st weekend in October. Yah I remember 5 cent candy bars and 15 cent hamburgers, 27 cent gasoline. A little while back with my son at...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Dylan With Mandolin in Hand

Cheap with instruments? Dylan over the years has had an incredible number of vintage and non - vintage accustic guitars. Some fancy, some plain ,some off the shelf and some custom built. Then there...
  3. Re: On Reverb: 1920s Leland Brilliantone (Larson Bros.) mandocell

I can't see anything that would make me think that this is a Larson build. Everyone wants their old stuff to be Larson.
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Here's an interesting one

I'm always impressed when someone tries to do it themselves and I think everyone gets a pass if they fail! This doesn't look all that bad. It isn't in pieces or look completely unplayable and it's...
  5. Re: And you thought your Loar mandolin was expensive

Well not here in California. If you had the $400k you couldn't buy the house or the 40 acres -you could buy a car but not as good a one as your neighbors. I guess some boats you could buy but that's...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: It's an F style! It's a harp! It's a Duck!

I think it's kind of cool. Someone decides to make an instrument as a hobby project and makes something that is kind of original and maybe a little weird and to their own taste . This one looks like...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Wow! Blink and it's gone!

It's at $1800+ now with 3 days to go --where's the "too good to be true" part come in? There could be a lot of people watching it.
  8. Replies
    Views

With proxy bidding your doing just that. If you put your top bid in early some fool will chase it until they are on top! I put in a bid early sometimes --partly to find out if there is a reserve and,...
  9. Replies
    Views

It's still there or maybe someplace else but I presently have the high bid--- but, I'm chasing a reserve!
    Maybe they closed out the first auction to add the reserve.
  10. Re: California Music Stores - absolute must visits?

Tall Toad Music in Petaluma usually has a fairly sizable collection of mandolins.
  11. Re: Is the Era of Free Streaming Music Coming to an End?

What people don't seem to address here is the fact that money is being made. Companies like Pandora and Spotify though claiming to not being profitable are paying obscene executive salaries and the...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Howe-Orme mandolin(etto) question

Like maybe the 85th one?
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: What's up at Gibson?

That SJ --rosewood one --1936 is the one Gibson that most die hard Martin players really love if they ever get to play one. Good luck getting to play one 'cause they are really rare. It had a Martin...
  14. Re: If you could only own one mandolin, which one would you keep?

But that's cheating! .... What if you have to choose --after the revolution... and after they came for the banjo players (and we laughed and did nothing) they declared that mandolin playing is a...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Was changing strings when this happend.....

There were two Veterans who each lost a leg in a war. One lost his left leg and the other lost his right. They would meet once a year at a shoe store to buy shoes. Maybe you can find someone that...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson Ajr... What kind of mandolin is it ?

There is a bid for 390 euros so your not going to get it for less than that. Ajr mandolins can be every bit as good playing and sounding as their higher priced cousins. Here in the US you could...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Snakehead A Jr. in natural finish?

That and the glue line where the back and sides meet --looks like it had one of those Gibson disease (I call it)repairs. Music Emporium calling it "original" is very uncharacteristic of them.Stu...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Gotta have it — hold me back!

[QUOTE=JL277z;1475512]Maybe an elderly person with Alzheimers, just puttering around? Or a developmentally disabled person as their first/only project? Or a stroke victim who tried really hard but...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Climate control in your shop?

No, if you raise the temperature you will lower the relative humidity. So, if your in Georgia in the summertime and it's 90 degrees F and the humidity is really high you could turn on the heat. That...
  20. Re: Fixing a broken head stock with construction adhesive

I've used miles of that stuff! Loctite PL Premium and they have another product Loctite PL Premium "fast grab". both products will pretty much stick anything to anything. --like maybe a rock to...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Be careful to whom you loan your instruments

Gravity!
    Having spent some time around movies I have no doubt that they wouldn't think twice about destroying that guitar. Why they would borrow a guitar as opposed to just buying one I have no idea...
  22. Re: Gibson F-4 with random hippie painting (auction)

But the parrot is on the back --that's personal! This is bling for the stage--lots of people do that. I saw a video last night and it appeared that Steven Tyler had blinged his whole face--back to 25!
  23. Re: Why did Jimmy Martin prefer the sound of the F4 over the F5?

It really doesn't matter if someone can tell the difference it just matters that it is different. The tonal qualities of that F4 were something that Jimmy Martin preferred and that's all there is too...
  24. Re: Why did Jimmy Martin prefer the sound of the F4 over the F5?

Somehow someone declaring themselves "The Greatest" doesn't really bother me when they actually are-Jimmy Martin, Mohammed Ali--people like that can get away with it!
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: O'Brien, McCoury, Thile - Bluegrass Stomp

Bluegrass is what? About 70 years old now? This conversation about "traditional" and "none traditional" bluegrass has been going on since the 60's when I first heard it bandied about.That is about 20...
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4