Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Adam Rhodes - New Bouzouki?

Hi Daniel, I agree re his Forsters, I bought one off him a few years ago. Standard Bouzouki model. Absolutely brilliant. Adam said that the emerald doesnt really compare acoustically with the...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Adam Rhodes - New Bouzouki?

Its a carbon fibre gazouki made by Emerald Guitars in Ireland. I was talking to Adam about it on Tuesday after Imars gig in Dublin. light as a feather, sounded great plugged in. cant really comment...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: CBOMS in Ireland

I'm late to this thread but theres a few more makers worth considering. Ultan Walsh from Cork makes some really beautiful bouzoukis. Brian Lofthouse based in Mayo make a really good selection also....
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Andy Tobin Prototype bouzouki

5. Replies
    Views

Re: Matsikas Zouks

I have a 4 course Matsikas myself, not like the one in the photo though. cost me about €550 from Thomann in Germany. Its not my main zouk but Alec Finn was always a hero of mine so I got one to try...
  6. Re: Nickel Wound 2nd course (mandola and bouzouki)

I use nickle wound on my bouzouki and octave mandolin A Strings all of the time. They're absolutely brilliant. The A on the bouzouki is .020 , 25 inch scale, the A on the Octave is .022, 23 inch...
  7. Re: Finished first build - Thanks for all of the help

Wow Bob. That's an incredible result for your first build. Archtop?

John
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Alec Finn RIP

Alec was an absolute genius. To me, he was the sound of De Danann. It was his completely new style of bouzouki playing back in the 70s that gave them their unique great sound. He'll be sorely missed....
  9. Replies
    Views

Forster bouzouki in action!!

Here's a video of myself on my Forster bouzouki and my pal Tony on guitar and vocals playing a Damien Dempsey song, The Apple of my eye during our lunch break in work!! Hence the tie. We were playing...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Paul Shippey "Tone" Octave Mandolin

Beautiful work Paul. Congrats to you Rob. Thats some collection of instruments you're building up there!!

John
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: heavy vs light bouzouki

Good question Garry. I've always had the view that the lighter the instrument the better, however, I'm very lucky to be the proud owner of 2 Nigel Forster bouzoukis. One is a standard shaped arch top...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: 3 Best Recordings of Irish Accompaniment

How about Adam Rhodes of the bands IMAR and Barrule. very rhythmic player, top notch in my opinion.

https://youtu.be/DFalXoDhurA
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: First Irish - Irish bouzouki makers

I know Joe Foley very well and had one of his very first bouzoukis dating back to 1979. It now belongs to a friend of mine and is still very playable. It was based on a Peter Abnett bouzouki one of...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Andy Tobin Cedar Bouzouki Build Diary

“ hey you guys and gals, have a look at this. A pal of mine Seanie McGrath from Clare in Ireland recently commissioned a bouzouki from Andy and look how its shaping up. Andy is incorporating some...
  15. Re: rather nice mandola back from the spray shop

heres a few photos of the gazouki

16. Thread: Bayard GBOM

by Reinhardt
    Replies
    Views

Re: Bayard GBOM

lovely Chuck. well played.

John
  17. Re: rather nice mandola back from the spray shop

If it's half as good as my Forster Gazouki it's going to be a killer instrument. Slightly off topic but if any of you guys out there want to invest in a quality instrument for life, you wont go wrong...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: bowl back mandola

BZ8 210T . it costs €444. well worth it in my opinion. plays perfectly in tune all the way down the fretboard, nice tone and pretty loud.

John
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: bowl back mandola

Hi Garry, I bought a Matsikas 4 course bouzouki from Thomann this year. Really pleased with it. has a truss rod as well. Thomann sell really good cases as well. The bouzouki plus case cost about €500...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: John Teer's Duff

Was talking to Paul Duff by email very recently. He mentioned that John now had one of his mandolins. He thinks he got it from the guy from mandolin orange. Saw Chatham County Line twice in...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Matsikas Bouzouki For Irish Trad

Thanks for that Kevin. I was a it worried re the lack of truss rod on the Dekavallas. I'll be going for an 8 stringer I think. Unison strings rather than octaves. What gauges do you use yourself??...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Andy Tobin Cedar Bouzouki Build Diary

Hi Andy, wheres the photos of the finished instrument!! Get snapping. As you all might have guessed I'm a great fan of Andys work. Here's a great example of one of his bouzoukis being played by Benji...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: First Archtop Mandolin Build Thread

Hi Mike, best of luck with your new project. That's some challenge you've taken on. I'd say F style Mandolins must be one of the hardest instruments to make. You sure look like you know what you're...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Jetel tenor guitar ?

Hi Fox, Nice little guitar. I have a very similar small tenor to above. No brand name on it. Got it in Dublin about 10 years ago. Has great volume for the size of the Guitar. I have a feeling that it...
  25. Thread: Tone rite

by Reinhardt
    Replies
    Views

Re: Tone rite

Hi I used one on a new Crump Bouzouki for one full week and it definitely made a difference, really opened the instrument up. Also tried it on my Duff A5 Mandolin but I didnt notice any real...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3