Search:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Separation of Neck From Body… What a Bummer

It’s best to go from the outside of the neck , through the neck into the neck block. The direction of the arrow in the thumbnail sketch by Mike.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Italian 10 string Mandolin (Didone)

By saying you don’t have to move out of 1st position are they implying it might be tuned in 4ths not 5ths?
  3. Thread: Tenor Lute

by PT66
    Replies
    Views

Re: Tenor Lute

I will be starting my tenor lute build in a week or two. I will start a new thread for the build. I plan to post here on “Tenor Guitar” rather than the build tab. (I seems heavy into F-5...
  4. Thread: Carbon rod glue

by PT66
    Replies
    Views

Re: Carbon rod glue

CA regular or gel?
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Fret buzz on new Bowlback Mandola

If you have an old credit card lying around cut a rectangle that will fit under the bass foot of the bridge. If the buss goes away I would say your bridge is a bit to short.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: 1908 Gibson Mandola

You probably need to list it in the classified section with pictures.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Instaalling frets on a new build

I build mostly flat top instruments. I glue the fingerboard to the neck, finish carving it, then tap the frets in with a hammer as I was taught at C F Martin.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of what's on your bench?

Very nice work. May I ask what this is called and from what period in history?
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: 14” octave string set questions

The musical scale is a geometric progression of the 12th root of 2.
  10. Replies
    Views

I’m working on my perpetual motion machine.
  11. Replies
    Views

There a thing about vibrating strings that most people don’t know. There is a dead area at both ends of a vibrating string. The thicker the string the longer that area is. And the shorter the string...
  12. Replies
    Views

To get that low on that short scale will cost you a lot of playability. I would say that octave tuning on anything shorter than 19 inches is a risk.
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: What's the history of the ukecello?

I would guess there is no “history” beyond the present time. Someone decided to give it a try.
    I few years ago I decided to build an instrument tuned a full octave lower than a tenor ukulele. I...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: anyone seen/tried a B&J two point like this?

Some B&J tenor guitars are identical to KayKraft so maybe Stromberg Voicinet. They did a lot with pressed tops.
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: 4 string octave mandolin

I am not really into bluegrass. I’m an old folkie. I’m not looking for punch, chop or bark. I like balance, volume and sustain.
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Are pressed sound boards necessarily bad?

Here is my 2 cents worth. (And I’ll probably get in trouble for it.) there is so much cult worship of the Loar era F-5 that imagination is stifled. If it ain’t a F-5 copy to the letter then it isn’t...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of what's on your bench?

I think so many builders overlook non traditional woods. They have been brainwashed into thinking it must have a spruce top. I was told by a well respected classical guitar builder that rosewood and...
  18. Thread: BR-40T vs BR-70T?

by PT66
    Replies
    Views

Re: BR-40T vs BR-70T?

I know nothing about these tenor guitars. But as a builder of tenor guitars (and 6 string guitars, ukuleles, flat top mandolin family instruments etc.) I would say it depends more on who “hand...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Fletcher tenor guitars?

In reference to playing the instruments you have. I have been building instruments as a hobby for 60 years. When I go to practice I somehow end up in the shop building another instrument. (Not sure...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Favorite part of instrument building?

I also enjoy the design process. Most of what I build are one of a kind builds. (I don’t do normal.) I always starts with the design process.
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Tuner Machine screws for solid peg head

https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Screws-Phillips-Guitar-Machine/dp/B07BV43Z9H/ref=mp_s_a_1_6_sspa?crid=39HVXLBF32DQH&keywords=guitar+tuner+mounting+screws&qid=1706805790&sprefix=guitar+tuner+screws%2C...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Tuner Machine screws for solid peg head

Exactly which screws are you referring to? The small wood screws that hold the tuners to the headstock?
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Guitar shaped mandola or octave

If you measure the distance from where you would like the bridge (center of lower bout is optimal) to the top of the body where the neck attaches. Then double that distance. That will give you the...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Guitar shaped mandola or octave

I recently built a guitar shaped mandola. I don’t remember the scale length but the body was much smaller than the little Martin (which I think is smaller than an 0-18). I would choose an octave...
  25. Thread: Book suggestion?

by PT66
    Replies
    Views

Re: Book suggestion?

Join Guild of American Luthiers. Read their journal cover to cover. Find a friend that has been a member for years. Borrow his back issues.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4