Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: is the mandola the perfect instrument?

Interesting topic. I think I would have to agree. I have a mandolin, mandola, octave mandolin, irish bouzouki (2), and a mandocello. For what I do (very non-traditional) I find the mandola to be the...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Live Mic for Mandolin Recommendations

Hey Craig,
    I wrote about this a bit in an older post:
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/threads/148317-Tone-Dexter-users?p=1753054&viewfull=1#post1753054

Think of an IR (impulse response) as a...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: NIBD (New Irish Bouzouki Day)

There is a gigantic difference between the two. The Petersen is more delicate. it has the octave courses and a fairly shallow body; probably 2.5" if i remember correctly. The Crump is big sounding....
  4. Replies
    Views

NIBD (New Irish Bouzouki Day)

After wanting one for ten years, I finally got a Crump Irish Bouzouki. This is the real deal. Huge sound and great playability. I've only seen a few for sale in the last 10 years and I always missed...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: New OM day, and some questions about others

I could be wrong, but I thought with Eastman the higher numbers were for more appointments: better looking wood and bindings. Some people have noted that some lower level models occasionally sound...
  6. Re: Does Gibson have a website for it's mandolins?

It's a shame that Gibson doesn't seem too interested in the mandolin department. The Fern I have is a seriously good instrument. I've played $20k+ mandolins that don't sound as good. I don't have the...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Bravo D'Addario XS Strings!

I put on a set of XS on my Fern. I was worried they wouldn't be as good as the EXP-CM strings I used to use. To my surprise, I like them even better. Great strings. Wish they made them for mandola as...
  8. Thread: helix ??

by McIrish
    Replies
    Views

Re: helix ??

If you are looking at a helix, also have a look at the Mooer GE300 Lite. I picked one up used to load my custom IRs for my instruments. Software is a bit goofy to get installed right (missing dll)...
  9. Thread: Informal Poll

by McIrish
    Replies
    Views

Re: Informal Poll

I did not read the entire thread, but I will add to the data. Yes, I would pay $10k for a mandolin. I had a very specific sound in mind. I tried dozens of mandolins before I found one that was close...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: The virus, the economy, mandolins and you

I work in the entertainment industry. Our company was hit very hard and we had to furlough over 100 people. There are very few of us trying to keep it afloat and also helping the fight by making some...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Any new pedals for multi-instrumentalists?

An impulse response is a very small wav file that contains the sonic fingerprint of an audio source. It's based on a technique named convolution. For years it was used as a way to create a reverb...
  12. Thread: Compressor?

by McIrish
    Replies
    Views

Re: Compressor?

If you want to use compressor on mandolin, I would recommend the Barber Tone Press. It has a setting for fast FET compression and a blend knob for doing parallel compression. What that means is that...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Tone Dexter users?

For all the absolute tech geeks, here is my instructions for creating an IR that can be loaded into an IR loader.

Some prerequisites: A computer (PC), DAW software (Cubase/Nuendo is what I used),...
  14. Replies
    Views

I bought a Mooer Radar pedal yesterday. It can load user created IRs. I will test my manually made IR in it and report back. That pedal is only $150 new. Much less expensive than the Tone Dexter for...
  15. Replies
    Views

Ky Slim,
    You are correct. the way the TD works will only make your mandolin pickup sound closer to a microphone on your mandolin. As far as I know, no one is selling IRs of expensive mandolins...
  16. Replies
    Views

Tone Dexter users?

I know it's been out for a while, but I just started looking into the ToneDexter. Pretty incredible piece of software that uses IRs (impulse responses) to give your piezo pickup the sound of a mic'd...
  17. Re: Gibson Master Model vs. Ellis F5 with all of his highest opti

I think for the money you are spending, you HAVE to play them in person. I also would not be bound to just those two instruments.
    I was on tour in 2016 and stopped at Morgan Music in MO to check...
  18. Replies
    Views

Any new pedals for multi-instrumentalists?

I currently play seven different acoustic instruments on stage with my band. For quite a few years I have been using a Zoom A3 (not AC-3). This pedal allows me to setup presets for each instrument...
  19. Thread: Ribbon Mics

by McIrish
    Replies
    Views

Re: Ribbon Mics

Like all mics, ribbons can be good or bad depending on who made it. The really cheap ribbon mics that flood the market are not going to be a great option. many of the better ribbons are passive and...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Eurythmics "Sweet Dreams"

Thanks for the nice comments!
    Bob, where are you out east? We are heading that way sometime this year.
    Also, not to do too much self-promotion... if you like what you hear and want to keep in...
  21. Replies
    Views

People Get Ready (Curtis Mayfield cover)

Here is a fun version of Curtis Mayfield's "People Get Ready". Mandolin, upright bass, piano, fiddle and drums. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u6oc_HW95o
  22. Replies
    Views

Eurythmics "Sweet Dreams"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aF1SspL54F8

Mandola, Violin, Banjo, Piano, Bass and Drums. Got the rights from Annie and Dave to release this as a single with my band. Sorry, no bluegrass here,...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: anyone using a wireless?

I bought one of the Line 6 G10 wireless systems to use with my K&K pickups. I really wanted it to work but after a couple shows, I sent it back. It just sucked the life out of my tone. It became sort...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: DAWG picks. YES, they work

I think a lot of this has to do with the mandolin as well. I had a Weber oval hole that was bright and kind of stringy sounding. The combination of using the silk and bronze strings and a Golden Gate...
  25. Replies
    Views

Folk-Rock Mandolin video from my band

Hi Everyone,
    I'm on Mandolin Cafe every day. It's cost me a ton of money... MAS. I wanted to do a video to show off the sound of my Gibson Fern I got late last year, but haven't had too much free...
Page 1 of 2 1 2