Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: What tune is this?

John Thomas has a website. Below is a link to his contact page. It sounds like it might be a song that he wrote, but I really don't know.

http://www.johnthomasguitar.com/contact.html

Svea
  2. Re: Is there a crisis in mandolin, banjo and ukelele tone?

Well, I like my carved top and back GBOM because it balances better that a teardrop shape, and it actually sounds like a large mandolin (and not a guitar). But I doubt that my perspective has...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Lets Talk Eastman Line.

For those who don't like the tuners on their new Eastmans, try lubricating them before spending more money and time on swapping them out. I used a plastic toothpick dipped in some Tri-flow sparingly...
  4. Replies
    Views

Yeah, pretty much. This has been an interesting topic. What really strikes me is how people have such strong opinions regarding Eastman mandolins. Why do you think that is?

I feel that for a...
  5. Replies
    Views

Excuse me? "Poorly developed hearing"..... sounds like maybe you should listen to yourself talk more. I'm not sure who you are directing those comments to, but I can assure you that I personally have...
  6. Thread: Eastman MD505

by Svea
    Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman MD505

Yes!
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Capo for Octave/Bouzouki

I took a Planet Waves NS guitar capo once and cut it off to the width I wanted with a hacksaw. Then I filed it over a bit and used a sharpie to darken the end up. They are made with some alloy so are...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Looking to buy my first Mandolin

Hi Lee. Welcome to the forum. My advice is to get one from a shop that does a professional set up. The Mandolin Store comes to mind. I was able to get a really nice "first mandolin". Just get the...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: New Clark OM Arrived today

Congratulations! Looks really nice. I love mine.

Svea
  10. Replies
    Views

New Weber Offering, Red River Octave Cutaway.

https://pegheadnation.com/instruments-gear/new-gear/weber-cutaway-red-river-octave-mandolin/

This looks very tasty! See the video link. It sounds great in this video, and the specs are somewhat...
  11. Re: Sara Jaroz and Aoife O' Donovan cbom related video

Replying with a useful link:
    http://www.thebluegrasssituation.com/read/sitch-sessions-sarah-jarosz-aoife-o-donovan-perform-some-tyrant
  12. Replies
    Views

Name of second tune in this medley

I have tried to figure this out for a while now. On this Tim O'Brien performance of Jerusalem Ridge, he switches to a different tune at about 2:35. Can anyone help identify this tune?
  13. Thread: BlueChip

by Svea
    Replies
    Views

Re: BlueChip

My take on this is that picks are a very personal thing. One isn't superior to another just because of the cost difference, and one should try to find the pick (or picks) that suit you best. There's...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Bury me beneath the willow lyrics

I don't know very much about the Stanley Brothers. But sometimes when a song is handed down from so far back, it just seems fine to ignore gender. I have sang a lot of old country blues tunes with...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Repertoire list for bluegrass jams

Coming on a little late, Misty, but that is super exciting!! I can't wait to see it.

Svea
    PS. Blondes do have more fun, and I qualify.;)
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Repertoire list for bluegrass jams

Misty,

If you private message me here with your email, I will forward you a nice starting list of some very popular BG tunes with the chord changes. I am working on learning "60 at 60"....that is...
  17. Thread: Travel mandolin

by Svea
    Replies
    Views

Re: Travel mandolin

Being a guitar player first, I must say, aren't ALL mandolins travel instruments?!