Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Good Tone - How long does it actually take?

There’s a great story of Julian bream, the great guitarist, giving a seminar and at the end one of the students says, ‘sure you have great tone, but you’ve got a great instrument. How do I get great...
  2. Replies
    Views

Music from Central France

This is a nice video of a band called Cadene, who seem like they are from Central France. The pipes are certainly from there. (Cornemuse du Centre). Really nice, I think. Pretty funky looking lot as...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: The Pentatonic Mandolin

There is a very short video on Youtube of Wayne Benson talking about this book and that was enough for me to order it. One of the best decisions I've ever made, as it's probably the best mandolin...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: The Pentatonic Mandolin

Niles teaching materials are some of the best.
  5. Re: Would I be happier with a ‘20s Gibson F4?

Hey Niles: I have a feeling that backup guitar player is going to go places some day. :)

Nice playing on mandolin, too.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: English fiddling essay (no mando)

Thanks for sharing Dagger,
    I haven't listened to all of this but am really enjoying it. Apparently Peter Knight was classically trained which may help to explain his good technique which is still...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: English fiddling essay (no mando)

Barry Dransfield used the old-folky style of pressing the fiddle to the ribs instead of the neck -- makes singing a lot less awkard:

tzX3H5gQGzY

X2cdRsqDqDY

Martin
  8. Thread: Books

by Peter Reynolds
    Replies
    Views

Re: Books

NFI but Niles Hokkanen's Guide to Chords is my personal favorite mandolin chord book. It has the blues grass chords, open chords, closed position jazz chords, and common chord progressions to boot....
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Where did the tab edit files on Mandozine go?

Well, it's a truism that nothing lasts forever. Not me, not you, and not anything else! But the June 1, 2003 interview with you, Niles Hokkanen, can still be found on the web, if you know where to...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Which way do musicians make more money?

This popped up on my FB feed today and I thought it fit well with the conversation.
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Where are the Mandola Books?

I recently got a copy of Niles Hokkanen's small book The Mandola Sampler. The type is pretty small for my oldish eyes, but it's VERY full of information. Extremely concentrated. I've only read...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin player crossing over to guitar

I went down the same path. Played guitar a bit as a teenager (not bluegrass) and started flatpicking after I had been playing mandolin for a while. Mike Stangeland, who contributed a lot of tabs to...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: The Myth of Perfection

There is no such thing as perfection. We all strive to improve, but perfection is not attainable. I know I have made mandolins I think are near to perfection, but then the next or the next after...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Theory: "cheat sheet" for Western modes

Ouch! Okay, I enjoyed your app (as I posted above) but no reason for a cheap shot at Niles re: his very brief article from years ago. He has done a service there by presenting a lot of information in...
  15. Replies
    Views

Vals från Vargön, jazz version

The reason why I’m posting this jazz version here, is because of the folk version of the same tune I posted about month ago, so you can compare with it.
    Making tab (PDF) is a little complicated. I...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Position playing or shifting?

+1
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Position playing or shifting?

Hey Niles, thanks for your comments and insight! I agree that picking a constant stream of FFcp notes is pretty mechanical. I liked the soundcloud tracks.

Also, thanks for the great publications...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: "Dark" Fiddle Tunes?

I learned this one last night.

https://youtu.be/dIEWjxy6Ptg
    https://youtu.be/dIEWjxy6Ptg
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: French ABC tunebook

I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but in this site there is quite a lot of Asturian, Galician music, etc.:

https://piloche.jimdo.com/
  20. Re: Help! I can't hear the beat when I play a break

Exactly! Where does my foot go?!

By the way, I bought your book on twin mandolin, and I find it fascinating, though, of course, most of it is still beyond me. But as I said, I can play breaks...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Lefties Who Play Righty?

FWIW, I wanted to add that during my years working at a guitar shop we hand one experienced right-handed player who purchased a left-handed guitar with the idea of trying a new experience. ...
  22. Replies
    Views

You seem pretty sure of yourself, and I would totally disagree, you’re not the final say on this topic. Everytime there is a thread like this someone jumps in and says do it my way, you’ve done it...
  23. Replies
    Views

Another lefty playing righty here and yes...I totally think we should have learned to play left handed. There are various reasons why we do this mainly there were not many/any left handed...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Finnish mandolinist HEIKKI LAHTI, RIP

Finnish folk style musicians really miss Heikki Lahti these days. I knew of his illness for several months and saw this coming but can't really believe he is gone now. He was definitely the biggest...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Memorizing the neck

If you teach yourself to play 'tunes / melodies' on mandolin by seeking out the 'sounds' (notes - i'm an 'ear player') - you'll eventually learn all their names almost by default. I never bothered...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3