Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: 2019 Tune-A-Week Project

That is a beautiful tune Jill. Thanks for sharing it.
    BJ
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: 2019 Tune-A-Week Project

Nice playing, thanks for sharing. I'll be looking for your posts each week.
    BJ
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: My "sketchy" version of St. Anne's Reel

Thanks for the post. I liked it very much.
    BJ
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Why/how did you start playing mandolin?

I do woodworking as a hobby. I was tired of making furniture. I wanted to make something challenging but small. I thought I would make a bowl back mandolin because my uncle had one when I was a kid....
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Instantly absorbing tunes

I attended a repertoire workshop. We learned 3-4 tunes a day for three days straight. I was overwhelmed after the first day. Others in the class caught on much quicker. Several were professional,...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Heading to Ireland (Galway mainly and Dublin) for Memorial Da

I'm not sure how they are with non-local players, but for listening there is a Sunday afternoon session at the Crane in Galway. It was really good. We also listened to a session at Tigh Coili and the...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Which type of practice do you do?

Applying this to learning an instrument?
    Takes ALL of the fun out of it.
    BJ
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Music documentaries.

"This Ain't No Mouse Music" is a great documentary. It's about Chris Strachwitz of Arhoolie Records collecting examples of America's musical roots.
    BJ
  9. Thread: Memorization

by BJ O'Day
    Replies
    Views

Re: Memorization

I began to enjoy golf immensely,... as soon as I stopped playing it.
    BJ
  10. Re: Time to buy bongodrums? (Damage to finger - Warning Graphic!)

Shortloin, I hope it heals well for you.

Astor, I didn't know the Spanish Inquisition still performs surgery and rehab. That must have taken some real discipline.
    BJ
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Pinky question

I broke my pinkie and never had it set. It sticks out away from the other fingers. I really have to think about it when fretting with the pinkie because it has a tendency to lie across the string and...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Playing Melody in Irish Sessions

Happens to me quite often. I'm sure it's nervousness. Sometimes it is tunes I can play well at near session speed. But I get a little worried about flubbing up and just stop, it's like my right hand...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Smile helps practicing (not a joke!)

Pickin' and Grinnin'?
    BJ
  14. Re: Don’t Know If I’m Strong Enough To Talk About This Yet…

Soon I may be able to have a mandolin constructed with wood from a tree that was planted in my birth year.
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: How to get the most from Music Insruction.

Fretfret2,
    I'm learning by ear. At first I was doubtful, but it is working well for me. The nice thing about it is I have gotten better and picking tunes out. I can now listen at a session and pick...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Playing for a year, still a beginner

Thuja,
    I have been playing 2 years now. I was getting stuck playing tunes at the slow speed I had learned them. For a challenge I attend ITM sessions. Even tunes I know well sound very different...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: cretan mandolin

Very beautiful playing. It's amazing how versatile a mandolin can be.

BJ
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: too many fiddles!

Or this.

19. Re: First 50 Songs You Should Play on Mandolin book

I ordered it and it arrived today. I'll look it over this weekend and update the post here.
    BJ
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Someone kick me

A bit off topic but Weber, Gibson and Collings would be great names for boys.

BJ
  21. Re: First Mandolin Advice Needed for Woman with Smallish Hands

BelleHaven,
    I purchased a Morris flat top A style from the classifieds on this site. I've been very happy with it. I was nervous about buying without laying my hands on it but it has worked well for...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Today While Mandolinin

TWM,
    I attended a this week's session playing ITM. I sat on the outside for a while trying to catch a few bars of some tunes. The host graciously came over and asked what I could play and played...
  23. Replies
    Views

YWM I attended a session playing ITM. It was too fast for me, but I tried to catch the first few notes of each bar on the tunes I knew. It's a start.
    BJ
  24. Replies
    Views

TWM, I went to a local session and played at speeds I have not attained before. Not quite real session speed but closer and closer.
    BJ
  25. Re: Response to the "10,000 hour rule" by the original researcher

I found this article interesting but missing some basic, (in my opinion), insights. I have not read Gladwell's books so I don't know if he mentions this.

A tradesman typically works a 5 year...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3