Search:

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Book Recommendation for Technique?

If you aren't notation impaired....SEVCIK: School of Violin Technic, Books 1-4
    School of Violin Technics (Schule der Violintechnik, four parts, 1880)

Vol I, First Position,
    vol. II, 2nd to...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: A style, use lefty or righty?

a long-handed, not so long-winded, response......

Niles H
  3. Re: Mandolin in Uncommon Music Genres: Your Thoughts and Discover

Plenty of examples here of mandolin and electric 5-string mandola played with techniques and vocabulary drawn from a variety of other instruments, in a varierty of genres.

I've been doing this...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: All Blues - Miles Davis

This will probably sound "heretical", but the last time I listened to the Kinda Blue album (4 or 5 months ago), I thought that the best solos came not from Davis or Coltrane, but were those played by...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Four or five string vs. eight string

My views on electric mando playing are probably contradictory to so-called "norm" on the topic. (I will exempt the electric Tiny Moore, jazz archtop hollow-body guitar style of playing, from my...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Musings on picks

The player's own technique is almost going to be much more important than the choice of plectrum, strings, etc., so an over obsession with the latter isn't going to be a/the miracle cure for your...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Not hitting both strings when picking.

Here's what I had beginner students do to monitor their playing with this issue.

Slightly de-tune one string of each pair of strings, so that it is noticeable. and you can hear the...
  8. Re: Judge throws out Gibson's claim that Dean is in contempt of c

Flower pots, vines, inlays, etc.:

I'm sure if one was to spend enough time doing image searches of Art Nouveau images (Mucha, Grasset, Beardsley, Privat-Livemont, Wm Morris, Walter Crane etc....
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Brendan Gleeson plays a vintage Gibson

How do you know that the air conditioning wasn't turned to "cold"? When/if the soundstage is 10 degrees cooler than the green room, the pre-entrance tuning can be moot. Been there done that.

From...
  10. Re: Good Tone - How long does it actually take?

Way over 50% of tone comes from the player's hands and fingers. And it is BOTH HANDS. Too often the fretting fingers are not given enough attention.

I did a workshop at Kaufman's Kamp back in...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Finger style mandolin

Oh come on! It's not something "brand new".

I've been using right hand fingers for 40 years, usually in the hybrid Tele pick+finger(s) style of guitarists like James Burton, Richard Thompson,...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin and Clawhammer Banjo duos

The problem with playing oldtime tunes/songs on mandolin is that too often it comes off as sounding bluegrassy.

Mandolin can be played in a manner where it does sound oldtime, but it requires a...
  13. Replies
    Views

Mick Moloney, RIP @ 77

https://theancestory.com/mick-moloney/

How a Chance Encounter Launched a Revival of Irish American Music
    March 15, 2018 | Mick Moloney ...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Tunes in "F"

On fiddles and mandolin, tunes in F have a different flavor than the same tunes played in D.

Why?

It all has to do with the relationship of the open strings to the key you are playing in. In...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: The Pentatonic Mandolin

It is simply a quick explanation of how moving the closed pattern up or down the neck will give you a different scale. By lowering the first finger to the 4th fret and starting on the B...
  16. Re: Treating Trigger Finger - My First Cortisone Injection

GRAPE JUICE FAST
    (concord grapes are best, red and black are OK. don't use green/white grapes)

There's a lot of stuff about this, in numerous variations, on the web.
    (Some of the posters...
  17. Re: Change to default search on main Forum page

Holding the shift button down while you click on the search button, or any link, opens the result in a new tab!

NH
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Slow down software

FUN FACT! You don't need another program!

Just RIP YOUR cd track to your hard drive. Once it is a FILE, you can play it back on your "media player" at whatever tempo (from 50% - 200%) that you...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Astroturf Noise

Been done 40 years ago!

200172 200174
  20. Re: New to mando...coming from guitar...where would you start?

What on earth are you talking about? I guess I'm just too stupid to understand that "mandolin" uses completely different scales and notes, and a completely different way of constructing "chords"...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Peter Ostroushko

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=53785&d=1254858373

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=53784&d=1254858373
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Irish Tenor Banjo Recordings

Not surprising, but everything here seems to be focused on lead/melody playing and not much about the instrument used for accompaniment.

https://youtu.be/fYNljllzebw

One of my favorite Irish...
  23. Re: videos and other aids for learning Swedish fiddle accompanime

Ale Möller
  24. Re: What’s going through your mind during a solo?

Niles H
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson Guitars Loses Flying V Lawsuit

End-stage parasitic capitalism. The legal leeches and investor vampires take over businesses and proceed to extract every last drop of blood from their acquisitions (and suing their competitors,...
Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 4