Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Apollo Mike Marshall picks

From Nik's post regarding the "black material" used for the MM pick on the Apollo Picks Facebook page Sept 7th:

Q: … so what is this black material that you are using?

A: …down the rabbit...
  2. Re: Gibson threatening the mandolin and guitar luthier community

Flatiron: setting the record straight and a bit of context:

I primarily agree with the prior posts here which emphasize the untenable act of forging the 'Gibson' name and passing off forgeries and...
  3. Gibson threatening the mandolin and guitar luthier community

Time this became public because, well, it already is.

This has been going on for several months now and we were content with keeping under wraps what we knew but it's public now in a not so subtle...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Not a Mandolin...But WHAT IS IT?

A luthier can make whatever he/she or his/her customer wants. I would say it is some sort of hybrid instrument tho it could be tuned like a piccolo/soprano mandolin and tuned CGDA (a fourth above a...
  5. Replies
    Views

How to be a Classicial Musician

On the heels of How To Folk, we present, How to be a Classical Musician. Don't worry, this rush of content is only temporary. Maybe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qi4V6gY8Wf8
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Seagull S8 Mandolin

Looked thru the sound hole at where the other end of the rod would be. Didn't see it.

Edit: Now with pics!

7. Replies
    Views

Re: Loar's Mando/Viola 70321

Greetings fellow lovers of Loar lore. I borrowed this unique instrument from it's very knowledgeable custodian (at the time) to see how it would sound on a recording. I tuned the instrument (as I...
  8. Replies
    Views

Homemade carbon fiber mandolin

About 6 years ago I built myself a carbon fiber mandolin. I posted on here about it, here's the thread:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?41820-Carbon-fiber-mandolin

That...
  9. Simon Mayor's Tune for a Mop Fair played on octave mandolin

I was fortunate enough to be able to go to a Simon Mayor workshop in Lewes last month. While there I bought his book, The New Mandolin, and have managed to learn his Tune for a Mop Fair. I've just...
  10. Replies
    Views

Free V-Picks - Right Here

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=106156&d=1377787993

Was chatting with Vinni Smith at V-Picks the last couple of days and we thought it'd be fun to do a special...
  11. Replies
    Views

New tabs-Hendrix and more Hendrix

I have posted more tabs at my website:

Several Hendrix tunes: Foxey Lady, Purple Haze, Hey Joe, and cleaner copies of Voodoo Child and Spanish Castle Magic

Jessica by Allmans/Dickey Betts
  12. Replies
    Views

Mixed Feelings...

Hello, everyone and all,

I've been on the Cafe forum for a while now, but I haven't made many posts on here because, well, I'm very hesitant to voice certain opinions at the risk of being...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Red bear picks

From the Red Bear Trading Company's Facebook page:
    Ok, so here's what we are up to, and what we've just been through. Starting in late May and through out June, my wife has had to endure chemo...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: multiple instruments

My standing quip is that I've traded virtuosity for versatility.
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Thile and EXPs

Hi Tom-

Tom Spaulding with D'Addario Artist Relations here. Chris mentions in the video how he came to switch to EXPs. We sent him, at his tech's request, a few sets of every formulation and gauge...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Recent Tenor Build

Thanks guys! that would have a great exhibit to be at. And for Mike, I'm on Vancouver Island
  17. Replies
    Views

Stolen mandolin and banjo located

Good news. Two stolen instruments reported on our Classifieds have been located, a Bob Schneider mandolin and a Will Fielding Fretless banjo. Must stress that they are not yet in the possession of...
  18. Replies
    Views

Bridge Design - No Thumbscrews

Ok, so the mandolin bridge has been redesigned so many times. Here's my take.

I appreciated Dr. Dave Cohen's idea of using a hex wrench for adjustability..Thumbwheels really need to have some of...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: My last days on earth

Butch Baldassari and I did the transcriptions for Homespun in 1994 when it was originally released on VHS. We had to get Ralph Rinzler to sign off on the transcriptions before it could be released....
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: mandolin and fiddle destroyed

Without wishing to upset anyone could readers of this thread hold clear in their minds the distinction between modern protestant ideas that have produced this puritan nonsense and traditional...