Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Should I learn to make bridges while I'm at it?

Sorry if my posts offended your skills. From your few posts I jus assumed you are novice just like many others who ask queastions here so I wrot from that perspective (and expecting that few more...
  2. Replies
    Views

I f you really want to learn bridge work I would suggest getting some cheap beater mandolins and fit or replace new cheap bridges to them. After you do some good setup you can probably even sell tem...
  3. Replies
    Views

Some of you cannot see the forest for the trees. Putnamm is aspiring maker and as that there are MUCH more important lessons he needs to take. There's no real need for him to spend hours and hours ...
  4. Re: Should I learn to make bridges while I'm at it?

I do a mix of making my own. I buy the studs, thumb wheels and the top saddle and make the base. Especially since I prefer a full contact base and that way I can also make it exactly the right height...
  5. Replies
    Views

I think you should slow down a bit and do some extra work out on your handtool skills. IF you intend to become a good builder you should work patiently and carefully. Each stroke of the tool (or even...
  6. Re: Center line and neck dovetail offset... Am I in trouble?

Of curse all this is just cosmetic... What is not cosmetic is correct neck angle and bridge height and placement on final instrument and I would correct Andrew that 99% of folks would not notice....
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Marketing and getting your name/brand out.

That is called "social security insurance for luthiers" :-)

My advice regarding OP would be build quality (and you can do quality setup or repairs as well to finance your building) and the...
  8. Thread: tuner install

by HoGo
    Replies
    Views

Re: tuner install

I still wonder why you all want to drill stepped hole? I've always drilled full 8mm (or whatever diameter needed for given bushings) hole through the headstock in one step and never had any problems....
  9. Re: My 4th mandolin build, 2nd one built from scratch

as said, looks great, i have a friend who has built a lot, and he told me doing the wire on one side wasn't bad, but getting th3 e 2 to match was look. look great
  10. Re: My 4th mandolin build, 2nd one built from scratch

Wow they look great. Please share a video of you playing one.
  11. Re: My 4th mandolin build, 2nd one built from scratch

Beautiful work and such a busy schedule!

But wait until you're retired, you'll wonder how you ever had time to work:)
  12. Re: My 4th mandolin build, 2nd one built from scratch

Can I put the first scratch on it? Looking great, Jacob! Can't wait to hear it.
  13. Re: My 4th mandolin build, 2nd one built from scratch

Jeez, I'm only on number 2. Gotta get ctackin'.

Looking good. Inlay is very nice.
  14. Re: My 4th mandolin build, 2nd one built from scratch

that is gorgeous. I also just completed my 4th and used Adrians plans as well
  15. Re: Newbie Builder - Getting started - which books/tutorials

As a first-time builder, I would like to say that there is plenty of information on this forum alone to build an A or F style mandolin. I am continually grateful for the amount of time builders spend...
  16. Re: Newbie Builder - Getting started - which books/tutorials

It's surprisingly easy to build an instrument out of AAAA woods that is impossible to set up to be playable.
    It took me several instruments to figure out that laying out the neck angle, break...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: 1918 Gibson A 47968

Bound on the top but not the back, so it's an A1, 1918 ship date according to Spann's Guide to Gibson.

1-piece back is unusual. Natural color, rather than brown, indicates the back has been...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Replace Headstock Inlay?

Thanks Jacob! I believe that's the one.
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson F5 1974 is this real?

it looks real to me
    but this is one of the times it would probably be better if it was a copy !
  20. Thread: Loud

by Marty Jacobson
    Replies
    Views

Re: Loud

Even the loudest mandolin is only slightly louder than a cheapie basic mandolin, in absolute terms. Maybe 5-7 db difference in volume between a cheap mando and a signed Loar. (I haven't done...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: First build...lacquer questions.

I pretty much follow the benedetto schedule-...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: First build...lacquer questions.

Jacob-

One thing I forgot to mention is that lacquer is sensitive to humidity and you shouldn't spray during times of high humidity. Then I noticed that you are Taos and realized that humidity...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: 1st build F5 IV Kit staining ?s

If you go this route pleas do some total test runs on our material. Shellac is alcohol soluble so your dye (stain) mixed with alcohol can easily dissolve the shellac or move it around and make a...
  24. Replies
    Views

Lots and lots of information here on finishing. Here is a good start --
    http://www.finewoodworking.com/how-to/video/how-to-create-a-sunburst-finish.aspx
    Steve
  25. Replies
    Views

Jacob I am almost finished with the same IV kit that you are working on. I will give you the benefit of my screw up. Measure the thickness of your headstock and overlay and the length of your tuner...
Page 1 of 2 1 2