Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Speed exercises with Chris Henry.

For your convenience:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy3ZRxxicF8

When my kids were learning violin their teacher assigned exercises like these from the Essentials for Strings book. The main...
  2. Replies
    Views

Speed exercises with Chris Henry.

https://youtu.be/Xy3ZRxxicF8

Very good video.
  3. Replies
    Views

Donna Stoneman’s birthday today

https://youtu.be/BsRgZRjJfts

https://youtu.be/BsRgZRjJfts

What a fun performer to watch.
  4. Sierra Hull's version of the "Tennessee Waltz" (lesson and tab)

I did another transcription/lesson video! This time with Sierra Hull's version of the Tennessee Waltz, and it ain't your granny's version either! If you'd like the tab and sheet music then email me...
  5. Replies
    Views

Sierra Hull - Best Buy mandolin cover

My mandolin/harmonica/guitar cover to the song Best Buy of the amazing Sierra Hull.
    Let me know what you think#:)

https://youtu.be/2pLB5J9m684
  6. Re: Working on tremelos. Good trick or am I cheating myself?

Cheating yourself - I agree that tremolo is easier with round edge, but I'm not about to start spinning pick in my fingers to different edges midway through a song. ~o)
  7. Replies
    Views

A Turkish oud I've just finished

https://i.imgur.com/eJ3HdLV.jpg
  8. Re: Working on tremelos. Good trick or am I cheating myself?

At tempos from about 80 to 130 Bpm, sextuplets (d-u-d-u-d-u) seem to work best for me too.
    If the tempo is an Adagio, I might be able to squeeze four d-u into the beat, for an Allegro or Vivace, two...
  9. Re: Working on tremelos. Good trick or am I cheating myself?

When i was trying to learn Tremolo in the first instance,i made up my own little tune in 3:4 time - a Waltz. I just went through a lot of chords,found some that worked nicely together & came up with...
  10. Re: Working on tremelos. Good trick or am I cheating myself?

I learned tremolo like I have learned all mandolin special techniques. It is a bit different from what others describe, just because of my temperament and the way I learn. I found a tune, I can't...
  11. Re: Working on tremelos. Good trick or am I cheating myself?

Surely there's plenty of value in breaking down the beat into smaller and smaller note groupings (as in this video), but I think a more direct way is to begin with trying to capture the sensation of...
  12. Re: Working on tremelos. Good trick or am I cheating myself?

Many years ago , I managed to get a detour out here in Frank Wakefields tour of the west coast..
    to this somewhat old, small town..

Before the show he was warming up his Right elbow motion, to...
  13. Re: Working on tremelos. Good trick or am I cheating myself?

Having done as 'maybe' most of us have done,i'd advise all mandolin players to test drive different picks / string brands / gauge combos.

I was totally satisfied with the sound of both my Weber &...
  14. Re: Working on tremelos. Good trick or am I cheating myself?

Exactly.

Using the round edge may seem like a easy way to get a tremolo and indeed many like the sound of that Dawg pick tremolo, but to my Italianate ears it just sounds wrong.
  15. Re: Working on tremelos. Good trick or am I cheating myself?

There ought to be a permanent link to this video on the Cafe main page! Still one of the best videos out there for beginner mandolinists. Here it is embedded:

16. Re: Working on tremelos. Good trick or am I cheating myself?

I agree with Mark Gunter. I've always found that thicker,more 'rounded' picks kill any 'bite' that a mandolin has.The sound becomes less clear & IMHO,the ''projection'' drops off. Pointed picks seem...
  17. Re: Working on tremelos. Good trick or am I cheating myself?

I had the same experience when I first started learning tremolo. But I never produced the tone and volume I wanted for single note picking with a rounded point. It wasn’t til I got it hammered into...
  18. Re: Working on tremelos. Good trick or am I cheating myself?

I think your technique is more important than the pick point and you should practice with the pick and point you use for rest of the song.
  19. Re: Working on tremelos. Good trick or am I cheating myself?

Here is a good tutorial on tremolo technique that some of you might find useful.

The instructor uses a metronome to define the division of the pick strokes to prevent the tremolo from becoming a...
  20. Re: Working on tremelos. Good trick or am I cheating myself?

I agree with Jeff. You need to be able to play tremolo with the same pick you use for everything else because tremolo is not a thing unto itself, but a technique to be blended with other styles of...
  21. Re: Working on tremelos. Good trick or am I cheating myself?

I think it very important (my own opinion) to practice going into and out of tremolo without losing the tune or the timing or the tone. To that extent, I think it is crucial to use and hold the pick...
  22. Re: Working on tremelos. Good trick or am I cheating myself?

Good point - including the one on the end of your plectrum.

Seriously, though, what T.D. says is very true - once you learn the technique for a good, fast, even, expressive tremolo, you can use...
  23. Re: Working on tremelos. Good trick or am I cheating myself?

Yes, some folks swear by rounded picks.

I do not, as the Neapolitan Italian method is to use a pointed pick and it works great for me!

Keep up with the pointed pick - and your reasons for...
  24. Re: Working on tremelos. Good trick or am I cheating myself?

I can't play pointy picks because I can't tremolo well with them. I find a rounded corner and a stiff, thick pick really help. I know there are plenty of classical players who have no problem with...
  25. Re: Working on tremelos. Good trick or am I cheating myself?

Playing with the rounded corner of the pick provides less resistance to the pick when playing tremolo, i.e not a "trick". When I first started playing trems, I used a little pointy Pettine pick that...
Page 1 of 2 1 2