Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Please recommend some Slow Airs

I consider slow airs to be somewhat tricky on a mandolin, as opposed to a wind instrument or fiddle. My favourite Irish air is Mna ha'Eirinn (Women of Ireland), which works really well on a whistle,...
  2. Re: Recommend Some Trad. Scottish/Irish/Welsh/English Tune CDs.

For Irish:
    Na Connerys - done in the style of a seisun. Good mix of acoustic traditional instruments, including uillean pipes. All fairly common trad tunes
    any by Matt Malloy - flute, usually with...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Octave Mandolin or Bouzouki

My personal preference is for the octave mandolin. Partly because I just got a really nice one, but it's become my favorite instrument. I have a bouzouki, but for backup I use guitar, and for...
  4. Replies
    Views

Mandolin and Tuba

CPodKsL4S5w]Bill Wallach

If anyone was going to do this, I should have expected that Bill would. Bill is a local Connecticut musician that I first met at contra dances more decades ago than either...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: What is that tune?

My bad: you were actually asking about the tune he started to play, not the tune that he meant to play. Sorry, I can't place it in only 3 or 4 measures.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: What is that tune?

Once he was actually into the tune, it sounded like the A part of Willie Coleman's to me.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Weber v. Collings ?

When I went for my first "real" mandolin, the store (Mandolin Brothers) had a new Collings MT and used Weber Vintage A-oval. Both were quite nice. What decided it is that the Collings sounded more...
  8. Replies
    Views

Ray's Rootworks mandolin

Something I just discovered on YouTube:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anMEp2hIt6g

Very nice sound, and a unique look.

NFI, just thought it was kind of cool.
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin to Guitar

I did something similar - went from playing mandolin to guitar. I tried a few different genre of music, including blues on an electric, but kept coming back to acoustic guitar. I ended up taking...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Mic Clip : K&K, DPA, ...

I'm using the DPA mic clip with the AT Pro 35. I've had no problem, but, to get the gooseneck to fit, I took off the AT clip and gorilla-glued the gooseneck to the DPA clip. It's not going...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: octave tuned mandola

Both Phil Crump and Lawrence Nyberg make longer scale mandolas; around 20" IIRC. That would mean no restringing/setup issues.
  12. Thread: No Lefties!

by CelticDude
    Replies
    Views

Re: No Lefties!

Well, I'd say your neurologist nailed that one on the head.

And don't get me started about scissors. Or doors (handles on the wrong side). Computer mice. Yet, when I was younger, I batted righty,...
  13. Thread: No Lefties!

by CelticDude
    Replies
    Views

Re: No Lefties!

As someone who is an extreme south paw, I agree with Bebop. Playing an instrument involves both hands. And, I consider I have a slight advantage (not really obvious in my playing), as I think the...
  14. Re: this is kinda wild, Topanga Banjo Fiddle Contest

Ask a silly question, get a serious (sort of) answer.

And thanks to JL for that very educational picture.
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: oh my god this is not vin diesel

From the Riddick movies: You keep what you pick (and strum)...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: ATM350 vs. PRO35

I'm using the Pro 35 and think the sound is pretty good. I've never used the 350, so I can't compare. Ihave this attached to the DPA clip, which they sell separately. This took a bit of surgery...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Loud Box Mini question

I use an Audix T50K to go from an XLR to a 1/4", into a small acoustic amp (UltraSound AG15). This works pretty well.
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Pyle 8-string mando-banjo hybrid?

I played a Gibson banjolin over the summer. Nice instrument, but expensive. So yes, I'll probably pass on this one. Thanks for the Amazon reviews, btw. Also, I didn't notice the resonator until...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Avril Lavine learning mandolin

OTOH every famous musician who picks up a mandolin, and especially if they include it in a song, raises exposure to the instrument. Maybe you consider that a bad thing, but if it means one less...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: The Serenity

If you have to ask, you probably can't afford it?
  21. Re: Collings A models Different models, differnent tones?

I have both an MT and an MT-O, both with Englemann tops, both with gloss tops. Thus the only difference on paper is the sound hole and corresponding bracing. Both are, IMHO, good examples of these...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Lord Kitchener's Pipes

Hello Roger,

Although it's not clear to me why you posted music for this particular tune, since you did, how about a video or sound clip of you playing it? It'd be fun, for me at least, to hear...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Why Violins Have F-Holes

And I thought that the designer was a mathematician who just like the integration symbol...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Christmas Gift Recommendations?

Mel Bay's Irish Session Tune Book is what the Connecticut Academy of Irish Music recommends. I've looked through it, and it looks pretty good, with all the standard tunes and then some.
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Leather guitar straps

I'd recommend going to your local music store and seeing what they have. You can feel the leather, check the size. I even checked it for "slipperyness" (I recently got one for an OM that kept...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3