Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Quilted Maple Sky

Truly a AAAA grade sky! And one-piece!
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Amazing Nugget F5 at Carter's!

Just stumbled again over this Nugget thread from two summers ago. I think I knew it at the time, but in retrospect this was really one of the most striking mandolins I’ve ever seen. There was some...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: RIP Tony Bennett

Singer nonpareil, painter, humanitarian. His march with MLK to Selma is just one landmark in a life well lived.
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Wondering...

Hi Billy—I have not played this mandolin but know John Zeidler from his archtop guitars which are also justifiably highly regarded. The guitar I played, years ago at Mandolin Brothers, was very...
  5. Re: Leo Lindblom's brand new Silverangel mandolin - by Ken Ratcli

Ken has done an amazingly generous thing, really inspiring!—and Leo seems like he’s the perfect recipient. The world is already a better place.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: sinker cypress

There’s always Friday for shrimp Creole!
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: sinker cypress

Glad to throw in my two cents! One note: what we call “cypress” in the American South is Taxodium distichum, and not a true cypress. The true cypress, genus Cupressus, is the Old World tree used...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Chechen wood for back and sides?

Bruce Sexauer, the Petaluma-based luthier who is extremely generous in sharing his long experience, has built with Chechen and sings its praises.
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Spruce-different species

It’s probably most accurate to say that a piece of spruce sounds primarily like its density, stiffness, hardness etc. would indicate rather than its species. But there are physical generalizations...
  10. Re: Gilchrist Using The Tone Traveler On Mike Compton's Mandolin

JEStanek wrote: “For me best tone is a combination of how I hold the instrument, my technique, and the mix of strings and pick to get optimal tone.”
    It’s only human, of course, so many of us are...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Question on "tiers" of instruments

“A bad instrument will hold you back, a great one will pull you forward.”
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Volume vs Tone

Hi James—That tale from the Asheville pub is terrific and so full of insight! I am always struck by how we as players can fall into asking the world of our instruments but correspondingly little...
  13. Thread: Nmd

by Richard Mott
    Replies
    Views

Re: Nmd

Gchris—Say a word about what led up to you breaking your 40-year mandolin fast! —R.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Amazing Nugget F5 at Carter's!

Yeah, it would be great if Carter’s put up a video. Although sometimes there’s a lot of cross-noise in their showroom. Tone, looks, & feel—they all go into the price of an instrument I think. ...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Rusty Young RIP

I saw Rusty at the Syria Mosque in Pittsburgh, probably 1974. He was playing a steel guitar built to fit with a strap around his neck and the strings tilted forward to the audience, I heard him call...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of your Gilchrist

Willow20—What a gorgeous mandolin! The back is indeed lighter looking than many Gils, but beautiful and great figure in the maple. Hope it gives years of enjoyment. —R.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of your Gilchrist

Does this count? http://www.gilchristmandolins.com/732
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: My favourite things.

Nice work!
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Comparing Mandolins

The rolling curl in the one-piece back of that Smart mandolin would swing it for me!
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Olive wood for mandolin body?

Liked this from James Condino! “ -Is it an emotional attachment to the wood? Did my 9x great granddaddy cut it down by hand when he worked as a 13 year old apprentice for Stradivari back in the old...
  21. Thread: Gilchrist

by Richard Mott
    Replies
    Views

Re: Gilchrist

I played an oval hole F4-C—Steve’s “classical” mandolin, made a little more bass-prominent, and it was shockingly alive. My sense is Steve has been making top flight instruments for over 40 years...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: A child's size oud

That is terrific to see, somewhere there is a lucky child!
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: How long does it take?

In my experience there can be a huge gap between how long it takes and how long it feels.
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Nugget Info 2021

Old Growth, I’d love to see the Ned Alderman article, as I’ve never come across it. Daryl, the Fretboard Journal number is 38. (It inexplicably didn’t but absolutely should have listed the...
  25. Re: Do great looking mandolins have to sound better?

Just as a coda to this, I know of an absolute top guitar builder who had a customer come to him and say “Build me an instrument out of the best-sounding piece of spruce in your shop that you could...
Page 1 of 2 1 2