Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. University of Iowa Library Database - deep diving mandolin info

Looks like U. of Iowa has revamped their historical database. Lots of interesting data for anyone that likes deep diving into old information of all types. Today is of note, the 99th anniversary of...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Vivitone Mandolin Registry

I just found this one hanging on a laundry room wall. It's been there for the last 50 years. Other than a couple small cracks in the headstock under the machine head screws and a crack in the pick...
  3. Replies
    Views

Nice work indeed ! I couldn't have said it better myself. I'm proud to bring my contribution.
  4. Replies
    Views

Benjamin, this is so cool. The group of people here and the widespread generosity in knowledge sharing is so refreshing.
    Nice work on the registry!
  5. Replies
    Views

Hi,
    here is my contribution to the registry :
    1935 Vivitone guitar
    France
    The pickup and the tailpiece were lacking, I rebuilt them.
    The tailpiece were cut in an old pressure cooker.
    No serial...
  6. Re: Classical Mandolin Concerto mentioned in the New Yorker magaz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN9FqvK9hpA

With links to:

New Yorker article
    Washington Post review
  7. Classical Mandolin Concerto mentioned in the New Yorker magazine

Alex Ross' column on classical music, p. 77, in the April 17th New Yorker magazine mentions the performance of Jeff Midkiff's mandolin concerto, "From the Blue Ridge" performed with the Boulder...
  8. Replies
    Views

For what it's worth, I just found a Kalamazoo newspaper article dated February 21, 1936 entitled "Vivi-Tone plant moves to Detroit." It appears they moved their operations at the beginning of 1936.
  9. Replies
    Views

I don't know what this might mean to this thread, I'll let you collectors and builders tell me. I think what they are offering is the exchange of this Vivi-Tone brand acoustic guitar for an...
  10. Replies
    Views

And this just showed up:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/332137715019?ul_noapp=true
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Best from Carter's

Maybe it is just me but I have this thing for A-4 clones. I just happened on this Gilchrist 2 at Carter's. Of course, Marc MacGlashan playing one of my favorite Kenny Baker tunes makes it all the...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Article: The Mandolin in America

Thanks for the kind and insightful words, Jeff. In the wake of the recent books by Graham McDonald and Paul Fox, I felt the mandolin models and makers had been thoroughly covered, so I was free to...
  13. Re: Anyone tried Aaron Weinstein's mandolin chord melody book on

Expand your imagination. Possibilities are endless.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Lloyd Loar Pics

Happy birthday to Lloyd Loar, born this date 1886 in Cropsey, Illinois.

15. Re: 70281 Loar has been worked on by Steve Gilchrist

One of the paragraphs I typed somehow disappeared.

With respect to documenting the mandolin in1977....

Mr. Pat Holland of Eastern NC owned the mandolin and graciously let me play and inspect...
  16. Re: 70281 Loar has been worked on by Steve Gilchrist

Evidence exists that there "MAY" have been two before this one. However, those mandolins may or may not exist. The only shred we have is a pickguard that was originally installed on a July 9, 1923...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Old Virzi

Roger Siminoff posted earlier.

I have to share a Virzi story he told me a number of years ago. He said he was in New York City, standing in line waiting to get into a Broadway show and a guy was...
  18. Old Virzi and more found at Mandolin Brothers

Someone sent this to us, knew it was a Virzi but wasn't sure from what, or its worth. Rather than tell what we think it is--believe it's from a violin--thought we'd toss out here because they're...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Curious bowlback

Looks like you all have this under control. All I can add is that my guess it is from that German romantic period, the same one that produced those lute guitars. The carved or arched top tho is...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Curious bowlback

Give them time, the bowl back users come in at different times during the day and night.
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Bluegrass: The new Americana!

Hey Allen!

Bluegrass is the new, chique, millennial, cool term that encapsulates just about any kind of acoustic music these days. Back to roots, nature, etc. is popular with millennials and with...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Dave Apollon Photos

Bit late to the party. Repost of a B&W Maurice Seymour of Dave A that graces my walls..

23. Replies
    Views

Digging into some146833 more not so common Apollon photos, here is one from the 60's Vegas years which shows Apollon with Rena Kuebler, who took lessons from Dave, bought one of his 50's F5s, and...
  24. Replies
    Views

Here's perhaps a more accurate color version of the photo of Dave holding the two Gibsons. It's great to see the interest in one of the true giants of our instrument and perhaps the first mandolin...
  25. Replies
    Views

The other Apollon 78rpm box set from 1946 is this "Modern Gypsy Melodies" on the Manor Records label. Dave made a visit to Budapest which gave him the inspiration to make this double album of Gypsy...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3