Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Goldtone solid body

I have a JBovier ELS solid body electric. It's pretty cool and has a great sound. It has 4 strings instead of 4 sets of 2 strings. As for recommending one, it depends on the sound you want. You can...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Tabs vs. reading music

Like you, I already knew how to read music, so when I started playing mandolin, notation was the way I wanted to learn. The only time I use tab is when I come across a particularly difficult measure....
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: My New Weber Yellowstone

Yes, it is a beautiful looking mandolin, but the tonal quality is what made this a must-have for me. My Custom Vintage A is a beautiful mandolin with an incredible sound but I never felt it produced...
  4. Replies
    Views

My New Weber Yellowstone

Here's the new mandolin I just picked up last night. It will be good company for my Weber Custom Vintage A.
  5. Re: N.M.D.! My Kentucky KM-1000 Master Model Arrived

Very pretty! Enjoy your new mandolin!
  6. Re: Does playing Mandolin Help in learning to play the fiddle?

All I know is my daughter plays fiddle...but when I try to play it sounds like a sick cat. On the flip side, she can't play my mandolin either. She tucked my mandolin under her chin one time and she...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: new mandolin learner

Take it slowly. Start with scales and some simple 2-finger chords. Add some simple songs. Your fingers will adjust to what you're asking them to do and it will get easier in no time. Then you can...
  8. Re: well, I found a nice used Gilchrist but..........

Did you look at how many views you got to your original post? I read lots of posts on the forum, but often do not comment because I know nothing about the subject. That doesn't mean I'm not...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: A Discouraged Beginner

Every time I go on vacation and am away from my mandolin for 7-14 days, I always have the fear that I will be facing a set-back when I return to my practice sessions. Oddly, the opposite is true...I...
  10. Re: Paralyzing Performance Anxiety...Desperately Looking for Answ

I've posted blogs...but nothing to the forum (that is, I've never initiated a forum thread) although I've commented. Sorry for the confusion.
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin as an Investment !

My mandolin purchases were (and will be, if I ever buy another one) investments in my dreams. I make emotional connections to my instruments and they are difficult to part with. I sold a Collins a...
  12. Re: Paralyzing Performance Anxiety...Desperately Looking for Answ

I just have to say "Thanks" to everyone who posted. I've gotten lots of good advice...most of al I've come away with the realization that I'm just too wrapped up in my own perfectionistic tendencies...
  13. Re: Paralyzing Performance Anxiety...Desperately Looking for Answ

Steve, I think you just hit the nail on the head. That's probably my primary problem...looking at everything as good or bad or black or white. I seem to have difficulty is dealing with the areas in...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Small hands!

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. I do fret board exercises by planting my index finger on the second fret and moving up the frets to the 7th or 8th fret with my other fingers. The index finger...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Just have to brag!

Congratulations on the purchase of your new mandolin. You should be proud and bragging is definitely in order. Have a great time learning this incredible instrument!
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Worth a look

Look for 2cellos live. They have a Youtube channel and they are pretty amazing! http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyjuFsbclXyntSRMBAILzbw
  17. Re: Have you ever been ridiculed for your choice in instrument?

Ridiculing anyone for their creative choices is so unacceptable. I like to think that as mandolinists we chose the "path less traveled by". For me, that has made all the difference in my musical...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Small hands!

My hand is exactly the length of your hand but my hand spread is just over 8"...I guess the exercises I do are working and that's why I can now to 4-finger chords.
  19. Re: What song made you want to play Mandolin?

Wow! I haven't heard that song in ages. I played that album to death when it came out. I saw Seals and Crofts in concert at the Valley Forge Music Faire (which, alas, was torn down for a grocery...
  20. Re: What song made you want to play Mandolin?

Way back in the 70s...Diamond Girl by Seals and Crofts. I saw they were going to be on the Mike Douglas show and Dash Crofts was playing that mandolin and I was captivated (by the mandolin; not Dash...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Plateau? Will I ever get any better

A few years ago, with retirement about 6 years away, I started to think about my game plan for the next phase of my life. The mandolin immediately came to mind and I dusted off my old 1970s starter...
  22. Re: Can someone help ID this mandolin from a recent movie...

Love the light humor...you got us good. Thanks for making my day!
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Stun gun attack and theft of Stradivarius

I find it difficult to believe, that with the technology available to us, there isn't a way to install a tracking device on our instruments...something not obvious (perhaps hidden in the lining of...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Value of Ricky Skaggs Signed Mandolin

That would be a shame. This is an awesome site...try giving it a little time and read other forum posts to get a feel for the dynamic of this site, which I have always found to be honest; yet...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Newbie introduction :)

Nice post, Birtie. It's always nice when someone shows such enthusiasm! I love this site and I'm sure you will too. Welcome to the site and to the wonderful world of mandolins.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3