Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: My New Pro Level F5 for $300

The F5 is the definitive professional photographers camera. The 35mm SLR never got any better.

For those of us who still like to "paint with light," there is nothing like the nuances you can get...
  2. Re: Learning multiple instruments at once? Am I crazy?

Yeah, less TV and more practicing, and for me the video games also compete for attention.

I think it's good to learn a lot of instruments, eventually some will stick more than others.

I think...
  3. Re: Learning multiple instruments at once? Am I crazy?

The Music is really in your head. Whatever's in your hands is just a tool.
    Now, find a buddy or two to pass tunes back and forth.
    You know what they say: "Two heads are better'n one"
  4. Re: Learning multiple instruments at once? Am I crazy?

Bravo.
    We’d all be better off if we followed your example.
  5. Re: Learning multiple instruments at once? Am I crazy?

Within a span of 5 years I took up bass, guitar, drums and keyboards. For me, each instrument helps to build on the other; (kind of a 'cross-pollination' as someone here at MC recently put it). I...
  6. Re: Learning multiple instruments at once? Am I crazy?

There are no rules, that I'm aware of, concerning how you learn or what instrument you concentrate on.
    As Mr. Hopkins mentioned, just have fun with it.
    For what it's worth, taking what you learn...
  7. Re: Learning multiple instruments at once? Am I crazy?

Marty is spot on regarding the importance of rhythm (the value of drumming, etc). It's what music is predicated on; even free playing, solo, whatever - the player(s) always has a sense of time in...
  8. Re: Learning multiple instruments at once? Am I crazy?

All the answer you need.
  9. Re: Learning multiple instruments at once? Am I crazy?

There are people at every jam who can play all the chords, but have a weak sense of rhythm. Your background as a drummer is much more relevant than you're giving it credit for. Who cares if you can...
  10. Thread: Musical Journey

by Nancyf
    Replies
    Views

Musical Journey

Back in the 90s I got lots of invaluable support on my beginner's nervous self-doubt - from either this list or the Comando listserv. I recently wrote about my 20+ year mandolin learning journey,...
  11. 1 year, self taught - give me some feedback (audio clip)

First time through with a golden gate pick, second time through with a Fender 346 medium. Some flubs, just started working on this one yesterday.

1 year, self taught - trying to get feedback...
  12. Replies
    Views

Thile's Mandolin Playlist

Just noticed this via Spotify:

https://open.spotify.com/user/spotify/playlist/37i9dQZF1DX3NMHG8IaKYe?fo=1

That's a pretty great playlist!
  13. Thread: Critics

by yankees1
    Replies
    Views

Critics

Well, I have observed that are several types of critics of those who play music. First, there are those people who can't/don't play a musical instrument or sing and are overly critical in pointing...
  14. Thread: Sam and Sierra

by jaybp30
    Replies
    Views

Sam and Sierra

Just got back from Grey Fox. Is there a better place on earth than the Walsh Farm that weekend in July? Saw a mando "workshop"of sorts with Sam Bush and Sierra Hull playing and talking about a few...
  15. Re: 1 year learning alone. Constructive criticism please!

What you are playing sounds good, but I am inclined to think you could progress faster if you had more regular feedback.

Sometimes going to a regular jam session does the trick, because it...
  16. Re: 1 year learning alone. Constructive criticism please!

Sounds good to me.

Play faster!
  17. Re: 1 year learning alone. Constructive criticism please!

I will join the ranks and say that everything sounds good to me. I am also a BIG believer in being 'self-taught' . . . so, keep up the good work!
  18. Re: 1 year learning alone. Constructive criticism please!

For not having any live mandolin players to get advice from or jam, you are doing great. Keep it up, your progress will continue to grow. Best of luck.
  19. Re: 1 year learning alone. Constructive criticism please!

Grimm, very nice picking. I'll repeat what a lot have already said. I wish I sounded like that at one year, so good work! Yes, try playing faster to push yourself. What I used to do was play with the...
  20. Re: 1 year learning alone. Constructive criticism please!

Grimm - Right from the begining of my mandolin playing,i did what i'd done decades ago on banjo,used reordings to play along with. I don't know if you do this already,but if not,give it a try. Play a...
  21. Re: 1 year learning alone. Constructive criticism please!

Yes, Grimm, I agree with the general opinion that your play quite well and also concur with the other suggestions.

One thing I noted, though: you might take another listen to Baron's version of...
  22. Re: 1 year learning alone. Constructive criticism please!

Good job with your progress. Impressive for 1 year of self teaching.

Are you able to play chords along with tune videos? If not, you might want to spend some time with chord accompaniment of...
  23. Re: 1 year learning alone. Constructive criticism please!

Good progress! I don't think it's been brought up: do you play with other people? It's really important. At whatever tempo, it's like leaving the safety of the nest. And it will definitely make you a...
  24. Re: 1 year learning alone. Constructive criticism please!

Also, I just looked at your channel and see the progress documenting you did from day one! Great work, and keep posting!

Baron
  25. Re: 1 year learning alone. Constructive criticism please!

I agree with everyone else so far! Stellar progress for only one year in (I wish I sounded like that at one year)! It does seem like most of your right hand movement is coming from your wrist, and...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3