Search:

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Bluegrass blues instrumentals?

Some of the bluesiest mandolin ever played was featured on the album "The Legendary Kentucky Mandolin of Nolan Faulkner" on Old Homestead Records.
    Here are some tracks:

2. Replies
    Views

Re: Two Stellar Northfields At Dusty Strings

Maybe it’s time to lay off going into every thread that contains the word Northfield and questioning or pointing out where they are made and what tier they are in as you seem ignorant on the issue....
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Road Trip VI - Sucker For A Blond

Thanks for the review, all in all it looks good but at that price they need to dial in the scroll.
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: 1930-31 National Duolian with neck issues

I had a bit of down time this week and was able to get on to this project and complete it. I drilled the holes for the screws and position dots. I had to re-seat all the frets above the body joint...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Compton playing my Heiden A5

Thanks for all the nice comments--it's definitely a lifetime instrument. Great to see you guys--Andy and Bill--at Monroe Camp. Your Buckeye and Randy Wood mandos sound exceptionally fine too! The...
  6. Thread: Flexibility

by Dave Cohen
    Replies
    Views

Re: Flexibility

There are a few things about "stiffness" that always seem to get glossed over. What's somewhat discouraging about this is that the information is not new; it's been around - and available - for a...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Where has this member been?

I shot him an email (different address than the one above). After 17,000+ posts, I wouldn't classify Allen as a transient.
    We'll have to wait and see I guess.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Should I become a luthier?

Here's my advice:
    Start building as a hobby and expect to keep it that way while you continue to support your family with you established business, then wait and see what happens.

1. There is a...
  9. The passing of Chris Strachwitz - archivist and music producer

I just learned that Chris Strachwitz died at the age of 91. He started Arhoolie Records and Downhome Music in El Cerrito, CA. He came to the US as a child after WWII from Germany. While learning...
  10. Replies
    Views

Bill Bussman passes

I just got the news from other bandmates that Bill died, apparently from a Heart Attack while bicycling. As a bandmate of nearly 20 years I am dumbstruck, Bill was only 74, younger by 3 years than...
  11. Replies
    Views

RIP Alan Niederland

Known as AlanN on the cafe (prodigious posting in earlier days). Just saw he passed a couple days ago. Only knew him on-line but he was a generous guy who shared a lot great stuff with me. I know he...
  12. Re: Chris Thile Camp thread...

Combining this post into the end of the other thread shortly. This discussion ran its course and turned into a mud slinging affair filled with politics and grandiose claims of all types. Fair warning...
  13. Replies
    Views

Old Hat String Band

I just stumbled across these guys, very nice....

slqfgZX30fY
  14. Re: Who is a member/board member of a local BG/OT/Folk Society?

I'm a trustee of the Bluegrass and Oldtime Music Association of NJ (BOTMA, one of dozens the US). We have had our ups and down over the years, recently reeling from the pandemic and members just...
  15. Thread: Levon Helm

by Don Grieser
    Replies
    Views

Re: Levon Helm

I saw Amy Helm (Levon's daughter) at the Four Corners Folk Festival in September. I had a recorder running, but didn't start the video on my phone until the song had started. The story she told to...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Spruce-different species

Yes, Norway spruce is common english name for picea abies which grows in all mountains or colder clomates of central and east europe. It's pretty much the only commercially available spruce local in...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Help with sealer coat

-easily available
    -user friendly; no special skills needed
    -fool proof; nearly any mistake can be corrected
    -can provide anything from a "satin" surface to a full high gloss.
    -forms a durable,...
  18. Replies
    Views

Billy Strings on Mando

Not my style but cool Billy Strings is making the rounds with all the legends and is doing some mando too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGj5MONmdlE&t=90s
  19. Thread: ii-V in E minor

by Perry
    Replies
    Views

Re: ii-V in E minor

For those that want a challenge. Attached is Monk's Round Midnight in the mandolin and guitar friendly key of Em/G. Monk's original was in Eb. Lots of minor ii V's. PDF and JPEG below.

20. Replies
    Views

Re: Women with Mandolins

Here's a dandy cover of Neil Young's "Harvest Moon" by AJ Lee and the Brothers Comatose. AJ is a great player and singer, and the BC provide superb backup and harmonies.

21. Replies
    Views

CHOP MELODY STYLE - Jingle Bells

I Wish you all a wonderful Christmas time!!!
    - Jesper

JINGLE BELLS (Chop Melody Style) on YouTube:

https://youtu.be/clcAqMKIuSc
  22. Thread: any old time

by Simon DS
    Replies
    Views

Re: any old time

https://youtu.be/MXBWoaRWHrM

Such a cool song!
    You’ll get it if you just put this vid on repeat. ;)
  23. Re: There has got to be something better than Tabledit, right?

As the saying goes: "Everyone to his taste!" Or her taste. In Latin: "De gustibus non est disputandum." Look: not all software is for all people, and some folks just have a hard time grasping...
  24. Replies
    Views

RIP Arthur Stern

I haven't seen it mentioned here, but Arthur was a friend to everyone in the mandolin world and a brilliant artist. He was a long time forum contributor and a fountain of knowledge and experience...
  25. Replies
    Views

Someone posted this on FB recently

Fascinating, on many levels

/-8lNvFp2k_k
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4