Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Damaged Gibson F5

F's and A's far as I know.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Damaged Gibson F5

Gail Hester is still building. She's trying to get away from repair work. I would take my guitar or mandolin to Gary Wagner. He's incredible at repair work. You might also want to consider contacting...
  3. Re: I know this is a subjective question but rank your top player

There are so many great players. Not yet mentioned, but definitely should be on the list are: Jesse Brock, Michael Cleveland, and Skip Gorman.
  4. Re: Could I leave mando in car in winter while skiing?

I was always told not to leave in instrument in a car in conditions that you wouldn't leave a dog or baby.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Fall camp recommendation?

I've attended both Swannanoa and Monroe camps. I returned to Monroe camp several times, although not within the last several years due to unrelated issues. Both camps are great. You will be exposed...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Top Current Makers

I'd put Gail Hesters mandolins up there with other great builders. Biggest mistake I ever made was selling the F she made for me. Fit and finish are excellent. Dry woody tone. It is extremely rare...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Good mic for...

I second the AT 4033. There's a bunch of used ones, was well as new ones, on Reverb. You will safe $$$$ and will find that it works just as well as ET's. No matter which mic you buy, you still have...
  8. Replies
    Views

Shout Out To D'Addario

I recently purchased some XS mando strings from D'Addario. When restringing my mando, one of the E strings broke at the loop winding. I sent an email regarding the possible faulty string. A customer...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Seattle Jams and Meetups

There is a Seattle Bluegrass Club on Facebook. I bet you can find more jam info there.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Seattle Jams and Meetups

Maltby has a monthly jam. Maltby is east of Seattle. Wintergrass festival at end of February. Wenatchee BG festival in June. Darrington BG festival in July. Stevenson BG festival in July. Bluegrass...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Reasons to avoid practicing

They say practice makes perfect. But then they also say nobody's perfect. So I don't practice.
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Cullng the herd

Certainly no offense to Collings. Guitars are awesome. I find their mandos to be inconsistent. But that's just my personal opinion.
    Best I ever heard was Nick Dumas' A. With regard to Hester...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: “Banjo killer”? Wishful thinking?

One of the guys in my band has a Gil that has an extremely loud chop. Seriously hurts my ears if I'm facing him.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: recommend me an acoustic bass

If you want to get a decent upright, I'd recommend a Thompson bass from String Emporium in Arizona. Thompson's are very similar to Shen, and I believe the company was started by ex-Shen employees....
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Kimble or Duff F5?

Just go to Monroe camp. Both Kimball and Duff will be there and you can try out their instruments.
  16. Replies
    Views

Here's A Little Holiday Number

I have the honor of playing in a band with this guy. He's a great player. Here's his take on a Christmas classic. Hope you enjoy.

https://youtu.be/R_1IDIbszKc
  17. Re: How much does a Northfield actually cost to make?

Their latest model is now starting at $7500. Wow. Something I've learned, and it's proven to me year after year, it's not the mando, it's the player. We have a festival in Washington State every May...
  18. Re: IBMA Mandolin Player of the Year Finalists for 2018

First of all, thank you for all the work that you do on this site. I love the Cafe. But your response to Ivan is kinda harsh. Other folks, including those who are IBMA members have similar feelings....
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: another "flying with my mandolin" thread

My experience has been that it comes down to a power-play by the gate agents. A couple years ago I flew to Nashville with a guitar. As we lined up to board, I saw to other persons with guitars in...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: More mellow sounding strings for my MT?

I just put Silk and Steel on my mando. They started out sounding really dead. But the more I play, the more alive they are sounding. Much mellower than other strings I've tried.
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Issue With Re-Learning Right Hand

While I haven't taken any lessons in person, I have had a few Skype lessons, and I've played in bands with world-class mandolin players. Guess what, they all have different ways of holding picks and...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Issue With Re-Learning Right Hand

I'm kinda feeling like I have the ability to play louder and perform double-stop/tremolo better with a free floating hand. When I rest my wrist on the bridge, I pick more with a scooping motion....
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Who's Going to Bluegrass from the Forest?

It's a great little festival. Other than Wintergrass, it's basically the first festival of the season in Washington State. The main concert venue is the school theater. The acoustics are great. The...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Column: Let's Hear It For Local Bands

Crap! As any of you who are in bands know, coming up with a band name is the most difficult part of being in a band. I don't know why I was surprised to hear there is another band named String Theory...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Does anybody here play a uke bass?

While I appreciate the effort to keep the music acoustic, and I guess traditional, I don't understand the idea that an electrified bass is off limits. Monroe didn't have an electric bass, but other...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3