Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Choro das 3 - stolen instruments, mics, and tour gear

I don't know how to forward this post but it should also be on the main 'General Mandolin Discussion' page as well as the front page of the MC web site. Everyone possible should be made aware of...
  2. Replies
    Views

Tango - Piano and Mandolin

Sometimes I just give a sigh of happiness at the joy some people have in making music. This is not only well played but it is composed by the piano player. What a wonderful discovery on youtube.
  3. Re: Using "Crafting Jazzier Solo lines on the Mandolin"

Hi Adam,
    Thank you for checking out the Crafting Jazzier Solo Lines course and for weighing in here about it's application. I'm glad you enjoy it and hope you'll continue to enjoy it. I've...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Tips on chords in Jazz

Something I'd like to share that I learned from Don Stiernberg--when discussing music (and this can be said for art of any kind), generalized adjectives like, "good", "great", "terrible", "awful"...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Tips on chords in Jazz

When playing with a band, it is easy to play inversions and leave out the root. I also tend to play very vanilla chords in a band situation. The register of the mandolin is where many instrumentalist...
  6. Re: The remarkable bandolinista João Macambira

Thank you, Elisa.

His playing, his approach to the music and the general spirit of that session with friends was a thing to joy. I stayed up late last night watching YouTube clips of him. He's an...
  7. Re: The remarkable bandolinista João Macambira

Scott, you have no idea how happy I got when I saw you wrote a post about Macambira.
    He was born in poor area in northeastern Brazil, and moved to São Paulo city with his brothers, who had a group...
  8. The remarkable bandolinista João Macambira

Rather than detract from the Elisa Meyer interview just published, thought we'd share a few video clips of the remarkable João Macambira separate from that article. We learned of his name when Elisa...
  9. Half hour Brazilian radio show on Jacob do Bandolim

Really sweet. Going to work on my Portuguese to translate it, but there's a ton of rare Jacob here...you are allowed to download it also! Presented by the Club do Choro de Sao Paolo.
  10. Replies
    Views

On the Air

Don Stiernberg Trio on "Chicago Jazz Live", WDCB 90.9 FM, www.wdcb.org. 7:00 CST Tuesday January 19th,2016

Hour long broadcast of performances from "Steve Rashid Presents Live at the Whiskey...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Então, chora bandolim! - A choro thread

Choro Das 3 will be performing in Santa Cruz Sunday June 21st, so I would imagine they will make a visit to the Symposium the
    following week too. Their mandolinist is Elisa Meyer, who not only...
  12. Replies
    Views

Just stumbled on this beautifully done version of Jacob's Ternura. Vitor Casagrande seems to do a wonderful job of dynamics on this.
  13. Replies
    Views

Hi Jim, I didn't mean to imply there was no information on this board about choro, sorry! I've discovered lots through reading threads on here, and it's an invaluable resource for book and album...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: World of pixinguinha

Pixinguinha, born on April 23 in 1897. His first choro, 'Lata de Leite', was written in 1911.

Ernesto Nazareth, born March 20 in 1863. He wrote 'Brejeiro' in 1893.

Chiquinha Gonzaga, born...
  15. Replies
    Views

Do you know that on ABPRIL 23 is celebrate in Brazil THE NATIONAL CHORO`s DAY and it was an Hamilton iniciative to talk to the deputy ARTHUR DA TAVOLA to create a National day of Choro, guess what he...
  16. Replies
    Views

Check this newly posted video out. Starts 2:00 minutes in if you don't speak Portuguese. But this guy filmed Pixinguinha when a young man.

http://youtu.be/oPx-7BzxX_g
  17. Replies
    Views

my dear friends to know Pixinguinha, is to discover Brazil. Some people tell that Pixinguinha is the Brazilian Scott Joplin http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Joplin but this i leave with you guys to...
  18. Replies
    Views

In Rio Pixinguinha has a street named after him and a beautiful statue that stands in front of a restaurant/tavern where he hung out with the likes of Jacob, Noel Rosa, A.C. Jobim, and other greats,...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Choro das Tres US tour May-July 2013

Good news! I just received this list of remaining gigs from David Isenberg:

Friends and music lovers,

As many of you know, I am helping the great Brazilian choro band,
    Choro das 3, organize...
  20. Replies
    Views

Mandoboppin! by Don Stiernberg

Just picked up Don's new mandolicious CD "Mandoboppin!" It is every bit as good as you might imagine, and considering how great his last CD was, that's pretty impressive. It stands up as a jazz CD,...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: free online improv class with Gary Burton

Great sounding tracks, John. Nice lines on Memories, I want to redo mine.

This morning's effort: http://snd.sc/15eYdsl

I am going to miss the class, and the weekly video lecture/demos. It...
  22. TRIO - HAMILTON DE HOLANDA`s NEW ALBUM is on ITUNES first !!!!!!

I am happy to anounce that HAMILTON DE HOLANDA new album TRIO is out let me know if you like this ensemble

Hamilton de Holanda (10-string mandolin);
    Thiago Serrinha (percussion);
    André...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Choro "É uma doçura" - W. Azevedo

Obrigado Carlos!

Speaking of Waldir Azevedo and "Pedacinho do Céu", here is a version of this tune that I ran across recently that I really like.

-David

24. Choro "É uma doçura" - W. Azevedo

Hello Mandolinist Colleagues,

I discovered an amazing choro tune yesterday. The name is "É uma doçura" composed by Waldir Azevedo, the greatest Brazilian Cavaquinho player.

This song was...
  25. Re: Thoughts on Choro as we finish the 2013 Choro Workshop

Found hanging on the wall of the workshop main jam house last night late. No signature but I think the feelings were that Anat was an inspiration to us all. If any of you get a chance to see and ...
Page 1 of 2 1 2