Search:

Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Has anyone played in Ireland Jam Sessions?

Fair comment, but there will be occasions outwith an actual session when you might feel like playing - perhaps sitting in the sun learning a great tune you heard at a session the night before. I...
  2. Re: Has anyone played in Ireland Jam Sessions?

My experience of visiting Temple Bar in Dublin (not especially looking for a session, basically a tourist) was very disappointing. Pub gigs with very predictable repertoires.
    Personally over the...
  3. Re: Has anyone played in Ireland Jam Sessions?

Paul hits the nail on the head: not all sessions in Ireland are alike - some are advertised as "sessions" but are actually paid performances aimed at attracting tourists and others are actual...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Voyageur & French Canadian Folk Songs

Lisa Ornstein does have a links page on her website to a number of resources https://www.lisaornstein.com/useful-links-for-quebecois-music-and-dance/
  5. Replies
    Views

Sorry Ranald, though Lisa is mentioned in Danse Ce Soir, she is not the author. Laurie Hart and Greg Sandell are the co-authors. And right now you can get 30% off if you order directly from...
  6. Replies
    Views

You might be interested in Lisa Ornstein's (bilingual) book, Danse Ce Soir – Fiddle and Accordion Music of Quebec (Mel Bay). She's an ethnomusicologist and an excellent fiddler, who has been studying...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Has anyone played in Ireland Jam Sessions?

From that list I'd probably only bother with;

Donnybrook fair
    Banish misfortune
    Fig for a kiss
    Foxhunter's
    Going to the well for water
    Ballydesmond polka
    Toss the feathers
    King of the...
  8. Re: Has anyone played in Ireland Jam Sessions?

Just a heads up to the OP - we don't call them "jam sessions" over here, just sessions (ye might get a funny look if you walked in somewhere and asked if they had "jam sessions" there ), also...
  9. Replies
    Views

Don Stiernberg Interview

Hey friends! Don Stiernberg is one of the world’s great mandolin players. In this video, he chats about his music, career, and connection with the legendary Jethro Burns. Don also gives us some tips...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Vintange Mandolins in Ireland

Someneck Guitars in Dublin sometimes gets in vintage and/or high end mandolins - I played an old Gibson A there back in 2019. Just outside of Galway Clareen Banjos down in Clarinbridge has mandolins...
  11. John McGann transcriptions - Billie's Bounce and St. Thomas

I took some correspondence lessons form John way back when. I recently came across the original sheets he mailed me. They were done in pencil. I decided to re-scan them and share here. Some nice...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: RIP Tom Smothers

The Smother’s Brothers were an incredible influence my life. The hard part of getting old is seeing the people you love and respect leave this world. They were as good as it could get.
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: What's GDAE and audible in a session?

I recently went to an old time party at a friend's house. There were maybe half a dozen fiddles, plus banjos, etc. Big jam. I was playing my Duff. I played a few tunes and thought, well, this is...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: What's GDAE and audible in a session?

It's not lacking in expressive possibilities at all, there are just different possibilities than on the mandolin. I think tenor banjo is the winner here, and you should give it a shot.
  15. Replies
    Views

Shout out to Bruce Weber

I just got off the phone with Bruce Weber about a mandolin issue that had nothing to do with any of his mandolins. It was a mandolin from another maker that had an issue. By the way, I do have a...
  16. Replies
    Views

John Brosnan's Reel

I decided to give this tune a go, and in the process of experimenting with it, came up with this somewhat unique version. Pretty untraditional, but hopefully enjoyable to listen to.

(Yeah, yeah,...
  17. New Hoffee case in comparison to the new/older Calton cases

Picked up this beautiful burgandy/Gold interior Hoffee from Vernie at Bluegrass Mandolins(he has listings in the mandolin accessories classifieds). I have also purchased a very cool brown/splatter...
  18. Elderly Instruments recognized by U.S. Chamber of Commerc

Congrats to everyone at Elderly Instruments on this recognition just announced:

Elderly Instruments Aims to Be a ‘Conservator of Musical Heritage’

Elderly Instruments, the Great Lakes regional...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: RIP Al Petteway

Al was a gifted guitarist, composer, and photographer, a true animal lover, a kind human being, and loving husband to Amy White. God rest his beautiful soul and I pray for strength and healing for...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Why is bluegrass played so fast?

I don't think this is a controversial take, but maybe it is. Anyway, I think Bluegrss is played fast because it's performance music; stage music, designed to excite an audience that is listening but...
  21. Replies
    Views

Acadian Mandolin -- Louis Arsenault

Here are some Acadian (East Coast French-Canadian) musicians from New Brunswick, including Louis Arsenault doing a fine performance on mandolin. They're playing a medley, of which the first two tunes...
  22. Replies
    Views

Sad news - Jesse McReynolds passes

Bluegrass today just released a statement saying Jesse McReynolds is under hospice care and isn’t expected to live much longer.
    Sad news, one of the greats to say the least, that just leaves Bobby...
  23. Replies
    Views

Trip to Skye

Here's my solo mandola take on John Whelan's tune "Trip to Skye."

https://youtu.be/G1rBPDKWi8k
  24. Replies
    Views

Seán Keane RIP

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/2023/05/07/a-giant-of-irish-trad-music-the-chieftains-fiddle-player-sean-keane-dies/

https://youtu.be/h_HyKbHbTQw
  25. Replies
    Views

Volte written by Michael Praetorius

This lovely piece of music from the 17th century, written by Michael Praetorius. Please enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aUZMx6JAXk
Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 4