Search:

Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: D'Addario Micro Headstock vs Micro Clip Free tuners

I started playing BEFORE electronic tuners were affordable and common!! Believe me , if you cared about being in tune with those you are playing with you would cover 3/4 of the mandolin rather than...
  2. Re: What are the chances that a moderately-priced mandolin sounds

Several years ago I was in a music store, picked up a “cheap” mandolin. Price was $99 case extra, it flat blew me away!! I figured if I bought another mandolin I would have to find another wife , so...
  3. Re: Convince me of the value of strict DUDU picking?

How about Jesse McRenyolds cross picking, he has a real hitch in his. I cross pick more like a backward Shuffler which also means like a banjo roll you use different rolls a lot of times for one...
  4. Re: Convince me of the value of strict DUDU picking?

I agree the way to sound absolutely monotonous is ududidu all
    The time
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: musical notation question

This is bluegrass! I’ve heard one of Don Reno’s boys say they can’t recall their dad playing s break twice the same way. This could even be a transcript and she might be playing it different on what...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Willie Nelson’s Bluegrass Album

All these post say this
    Project is good music. I haven’t heard it but I don’t doubt that it is good music. Willie doesn’t do bad music. But it aint bluegrass. Every post says that!! Then why call it...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: What effects sound?

Never made an instrument, done minor repair ( very minor) and set up quite a few mandolins. But I have played one for about 60 years. So with that qualifications my answer to the question “What...
  8. Re: Anyone compared Fender 346 EXTRA HEAVY with Blue Chip CT55

I bought a gross of the Fender Xtra heavy (144) for about what 1blue chip would cost. Yeah the wear more than BC but I bet the gross outlasts 1 BC, even if I lose a couple.
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Blue chip picks

Not in my opinion, I have one a friend gave me and I see it to be no better in sound or playability than the Fender Xtra heavy I’ve used for years,
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Tuning a mandolin like a mandola CGDA

I would try going down instead of up. Haven’t researched it but if the G, D, and A was moved
    down one and a heavier string used as a forth for C. Would seem to me if C string was right , pull on...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson Master Models

When the F5 was introduced along with the whole line of “Master Models”, Gibson was making a line of mandolins from entry level , thru many levels to a “master”. Having a line of top end products...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin is guitar upside down?

A mandolin is a mandolin, not an upside down guitar, not a fretted , plucked fiddle er excuse me violin; not a ukulele. If you are going to play mandolin, LEARN HOW!!! Don’t even try to learn to...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: How Good of a Player

I think it was Monroe himself that said to develop your own style , you should learn EVERYTHING that anyone else does snd then DO NONR OF IT!! I love Monroe mandolin, have played mandolin for almost...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Midrange Cases; worth the expense?

Try carrying a banjo in a decent case around,
    the mandolin case had not been built that approaches
    That!!!
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Any experience with Mapes strings?

Chances are you have used their strings, they
    Make the core for wound string and the unwound strings
    for a lot if not all string manufacturers. I use them and love them
    On all my mandolins....
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Monroe Style Mandolin Question

The first time I heard her I said she has Monroe down perfect. I listened some more and decided she was doing what Monroe was trying to do. She has the attitude but much smoother.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Kentucky Vs LOAR

You will be buying mandolins for the rest of your life. Buy the one that speaks to you, start practicing and looking for your next mandolin. Just remember you ain't supposed to sell them, just buy...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Kentucky-brand info

Kentucky seem to be good for their price. They make all from beginner to the 900 and 1000 which I classify as begin professional
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Alternative tunings

Just to answer one question (2) maybe a poor mandolin but I can't see how, poor technique would seem to showvip more on noted strings as would equal temperament. I would think maybe you dislike the...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Fret Material / Type Differences

Pops I agree, it's the wide " dimple" that affects intonation and that can be recrowned several times before it lowers the fret enough to require total leveling. The leveling can be done several...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: microphone feedback cures

Micing acoustic instruments is the only way I’ll go, pick-ups produce an unnatural sound in my opinion, due to proximity of pick-up to soundboard. Put your ear against guitar and pick a song, hear...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Grover tuners

Mike thanks for the education and help the mandolin owner and I at least know what we are looking for now we suspect changing will require additional drilling and I won’t tackle that so he has kept...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Powerful A models in the 5K range

I’ve read all the suggestions, my .02 worth is the name on the peghead IS NOT the final test. You may find a $1,000 mandolin that will put them to shame, play every one you see for sale until one...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Kentucky KM-1500 (Amazing Deal)

I have never been at the point of not needing another mandolin. I need just one more, when I get that all I’ll need is one more
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Ready to get my hillbilly on!

All that may be true, but the mandolin really came into its own thru BG.
Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 4