Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Vinaccia vs Embergher vsCalace Video

Hi all. Just recorded a short video comparing the sound of big three bowlbacks. All 3 well setup and all really sing, but all have slightly different sound to each other. What is your order of...
  2. Re: String-less Mandolin by Vinaccia, Vihuela & Larson Co.

Well then, I guess what I meant to say was there is no money above the 4th fret :cool:
  3. Re: Anyone have information on this very unique bowlback?

Beautiful Vinaccia 40 fluted ribs (correct me if I am wrong - I have counted 40), top of the range instrument, no doubt. Somewhat different to a classic Vinaccian look from the turn of the century,...
  4. Re: String-less Mandolin by Vinaccia, Vihuela & Larson Co.

Yup, standard mariachi band vihuela.

Tuned like the top 5 guitar strings but quite re-entrant, used to play chords mostly.
  5. Re: String-less Mandolin by Vinaccia, Vihuela & Larson Co.

He says that might be on the label. Heavens knows what it really says.

It appears to be a Mexican Vihuela, not to be confused with the traditional Spanish Vihuela. I'm pretty sure he won't get...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Another old bowlback here. What is it?

A little pressure near the crack will show whether the wood is moving relative to the other side of the crack. Be gentle.

The crack near the neck is the more serious issue; when strung up to...
  7. Re: Very strange looking mandolin on eBay Italy

Apparently, Marco Polo brought that back from his travels to China. Despite its archeological value, there must be a reason for the bargain price...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Gourd mandolin on Shop Goodwill

Good story. Sounds like a very Texan swimming education system as well.
    Not to disparage i miei fratelli Italiani, but maybe the gourds weren't quite big enough for the job. ;)
    Argungu Fishing...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Any help identifying old Mandolin?

Might be worth the $180 if it doesn't need any work. As for the driving distance, try to get the seller to meet you halfway.

Don't believe a thing the seller says about it ... the seller is...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Bowlbacks of Note

Pedro, I must have been truly tra veglia e sonno when I posted that Calzado mandolin last week. Sorry for that. Usually, I'll plug in the ebay listing.
    This was on ebay.fr and looks like it has...
  11. Re: 1923 Vinaccia Mandolin eBay Auction: Scam ?

Pretty obvious. Hundreds maybe thousands of expensive items really cheap. No real history selling instruments. I'd stay away from that one.
  12. Re: Sorry, Dr. Leone, your Mandolino is not my Cup of Vino

The title of this thread may be the best one ever. It's great!
  13. Re: Sorry, Dr. Leone, your Mandolino is not my Cup of Vino

I met Dott. Alfio Leone at the 2004 NAMM show - quite a gentleman, but his instruments were "odd birds" , often expensive, and mixed in were some decent mandolins, but you had to really be careful...
  14. Replies
    Views

That makes for a pretty appealing bowl. Replacing the missing fret and nut is pretty straightforward work.

Patience, gentlemen..... She may likely come around.

Mick
  15. Replies
    Views

If this ever showed up on Jeopardy when I chose "Italian Mandolins for $400, Alex!" my answer (in the form of a question) would be
    "What's NOT a Calace mandolin?"

My hunch is that it is from the...
  16. Replies
    Views

I think she will realize that few people want both instruments at that price. I don't get why sellers feel a need to bundle their unrelated items. She added the two higher estimates to get $1300 for...
  17. Replies
    Views

Peter:
    I heard from the seller:

The fifth fret is missing and also the nut. The measurement from the missing nut to the 12th fret is approx 9 1/2 inches. (Therefore the scale length is 19...
  18. Replies
    Views

Hi Peter: I assume you know that in the description she says "USA only, PayPal from verified buyers only. NO RETURNS, Please ask all questions before buying.These Instruments come from a smoke free...
  19. Replies
    Views

I have a couple bowl-dolas in the posse, one bearing many of the -ahem- Larson traits that we enjoy quibbling about.
    It does share the relative top proportions viz the cant position that the...
  20. Replies
    Views

Peter: the label was originally printed Trieste and then crossed off and Venezia written in. I think it is a mandola tuned octave, not a mandolin. The proportions look wrong for a mandolin. It looks...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Lyon and Healy 1890s Advertisments

The closest Gibson mandolins get to a "natural" finish is the A2Z and occasional blond F4 or A4.
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Lyon and Healy 1890s Advertisments

This is a really interesting dynamic, Of course these were pricey for their time, and it would appear they were aimed more toward the upscale or aspiring customer, probably playing parlor music. Same...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: very old mandolin

Me and David. Jim and Martin. Jeff and Peter. John, of course. Oh, and Hany. That's eight of us.

I've never seen 1000 mandolin players in one place. That's a lot!

Mick
  24. Replies
    Views

Apologies to all for my mistaken post above. On my phone it is very hard to see details or enlarge photos so I originally thought it was an actual DeMeglio.

jimmy powells: you are a bit late for...
  25. Thread: very old mandolin

by Tavy
    Replies
    Views

Hi Peter, good to see you back around here!

Personally, I simply wouldn't touch a DeMeglio "clone" unless I was looking for a player, and I could try it out in person. Value wise, the clones sell...
Page 1 of 2 1 2