Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Non-mando: how well does Spotify or Pandora pay off for artis

Exactly!
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Bill Bussman passes

It is with my saddest heart to announce the passing of my good friend of 37 years Bill Bussman. So many around the world knew him through his luthier talents with Old Wave Mandolins. I know this from...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Tunes in "F"

Here is a You tube link to a Monroe influenced tune in F for mandolin I recorded with my New Mexico Group around 2008. It's one I wrote call "Nates Rambles". I had forgotten all about this tune.
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin armrests - Yes, No, Type?

Doug Edwards at https://hillcountrystringworks.com. makes great arm rest. And he's a great guy. Very comfortable.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Traditionally voiced A-style?

While I am not familiar with what a traditional voice/voicing actually is on an A model mandolin I’ll suggest you give the PAVA A models a strong look. They have volume that holds it’s own with...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Ken Cartwright loses home in Oregon fires

Ken,
    We are all sorry to hear the news. Feel free to private message me to let me know how we can help.
    Steve Smith
  7. Re: Anyone trying to play Afropop styles on the mandolin?

Here are some You Tube links with direct mandolin content in regards to Afro Pop. These are of a recent 2020 recording and some earlier performance videos with King Ibu and myself. Check out more on...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Ellis, Pava, or Collings MT2

Ellis, Pava, Collings "A models" mandolins

I have had many opportunities to play Collings "A model," mandolins and find them all to be rather nice. Yet that extra couple of percent of overtones...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Secutity

I'd suggest a good quality/capacity gun safe. Sporting goods and gun stores have them and there are excellent safe company's too. They can be bolted to the wall or floor and with enough capacity are...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Advice

You might take a look at a Pava Satin model. All Pava mandolins really hold up in any kind of musical setting. Excellent tone, build quality and they are from the Ellis shop.
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Tougher mandolin

Hi Don,

I live in southern NM and watch the humidity issue constantly (sometimes single digits). As said by Yankees1 you really need to run a humidifier 24/7. A small room even better and crank...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Has anyone played a Ellis

Hi Friends,
    I started using an Ellis F-5 in January 2008 and have not looked back since. I am now fortunate enough to have two of them. Since that time I have not used my '24 Loar in studio or...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Pava A sound

The Pava A model mandolins hold their own in any situation. Don't let pre conceived notions spoil a good time. I have used them on stage and in jams with great results. Check out the many Nate Lee...
  14. Re: Article: Tim May & Steve Smith - Murder of Crows

Howdy Don. Thanks. Hope to have some tunes with you in the future.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Gary, S

- - - Updated - - -
  15. Re: Kimble F Mandolin Lost in Los Angeles, February 15, 2016

Those tire tracks are an incredible testament. I own and use six Calton cases for various instruments and have never regretted owning them. I've seen them knocked off of airline baggage conveyers...
  16. Re: Pava Mandolins: Are they as good as people say they are?

I have played many Collings mandolins and like them all but when I played the Pava mandolins I knew there was much more to the depth of tone, playability and another level of workmanship. They've...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Happy 70th Birthday, David Grisman

I'll never forget the adrenaline rush I got the first time I put the needle to vinyl and EMD. The bass and mandolin groove grabbed me by the shirt and those first notes lifted me. (You all know the...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Freezing when it's my turn to play

I see many fine suggestions listed here but there seems to be what I think may be most important missing. Don't forget to breathe! Be sure to get a good breath right before you begin to solo. Be...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: K & K Twin Fusion

I use the K and K Twin Fusion on both my Ellis F-5 (when more than a mic is needed) and on My Oldwave octave mandolin all the time. I tried them many ways including a "passive" setup, and with...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: New Ellis F5 Ordered

The Ellis mandolins are without a doubt astounding! I have owned an F-5 now (#113) for 6 years and I'm continuously amazed by it's tone and growth. I recently acquired a Pava A-5 on my way to teach...
  21. Re: Alternative options in the $4000-$6000 price range

I have had the great pleasure of playing so many fine mandolins both new and old by different builders. 75+ different Loars to Dudes, Gils, Heiden and on. All of which I liked. That said I have yet...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Black, Sawchyn, Old Wave

Bill Bussmann (Old Wave) has it going on with oval hole mandolins of all styles. The modified X bracing he uses on mandos and octave mandolins really bring the power and the sweetness combined. I use...
  23. Re: neumann KM184 mic frequency response question

The Km 184's really work well on everything mentioned. But do experiment with position a lot until you get what you want. I find with arch top guitars capturing the air vital to warming the tone a...