Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Brought home a Buckeye!

Glad that you continue to enjoy this. Let me know if you ever venture to Northern Cal. Pete is a great guy. Btw, he title of this thread "Brought home a Buckeye!" reminds me of what my New York wife...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Tristan Scroggins on Eastwood Electrics

Hi. I don’t know if someone answered this for you but it takes ball end electric guitar strings. Eastwood sells a custom pack for it made by GHS or you could buy what you need separately.
  3. Replies
    Views

New Mandolindo by KR Strings

I finally received my Mandolindo that I’d ordered from Kilin last month. FedEx actually delivered it on schedule with no damage….other than to the pickguard. More on that in a bit.

Spruce top,...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Tristan Scroggins on Eastwood Electrics

When the camera scans the pedal board it shows an EHX micro POG.

https://www.ehx.com/products/micro-pog/
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Octolindo on the way!

GChris,

I too would want the pick guard due to my free floating and ham fisted attack of the strings but I would only want the ebony tailpiece if I was hung up on aesthetics. I would lean on...
  6. Re: Does this guitar speed picking technique work for mando?

I would also add that Irish trad doesn't really follow time signatures perfectly. Meaning that a jig isn't 6/8 with six equally spaced 8th notes with the first and fourth accented. When ITM gets...
  7. Re: Does this guitar speed picking technique work for mando?

If it gets you the sound you want then the technique is valid.

But trying it as a kind of shortcut because you are having difficulty getting up to speed is not a good idea. Speed is an issue of...
  8. Re: Recommendations for a great Jazz tenor guitar?

I'm a luthier now venturing into the world of tenor guitars. This is what's on my bench right now. This one will have 5 strings and yes, a floating bridge and tailpiece. The top is carved, but not...
  9. Replies
    Views

I exchanged emails with Clark regarding the used OM he was selling for a client. Unfortunately (for me), the owner wanted almost as much for his as a new one from Clark, so I passed.

As for the...
  10. Replies
    Views

All I had to go on was what I could find online as none are available anywhere near where I live. Based on YouTube clips, I REALLY wanted a Clark cutaway but $6800 is getting up there in price for...
  11. Replies
    Views

Octolindo on the way!

I just bought an Octolindo Deluxe from Kilin at KR Strings. I had a nice conversation with Kilin. He’s a really nice guy who’s passionate about his craft. It should be here next week. Looking forward...
  12. Re: The "legitimate classical instrument" thing..

I knew this topic would generate a lot of discussion. Since my doctoral dissertation and much of my research is about the way people categorize music--and why--I am enjoying the exchange immensely....
  13. Re: Aaron Weinstein's New Apitius yorkville mandolin

I just made a little video for the folks at Peghead Nation discussing the instrument and playing it a bit, both acoustically and amplified. I'll share that here as soon as they post it.
  14. Aaron Weinstein's New Apitius yorkville mandolin

Hi all,

I'm so excited by the new mandolin I just received from genius luthier, Oliver Apitius. In my opinion, there is no mandolin that is better suited to Jazz. And it plays like a dream. I...
  15. Thread: Jazz Players

by joh
    Replies
    Views

Re: Jazz Players

I recently learned Don Stiernberg has some prerecorded online Jazz lessons: https://donstiernberg.com/instructional-materials/. Worth checking out!
  16. Thread: Jazz Players

by rcc56
    Replies
    Views

Re: Jazz Players

I am a now retired professional jazz bass fiddle player.
    I've also played a bit of jazz guitar over the years.
    I always thought jazz improvisation was easier on the mandolin than on the guitar.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Metronome & flow

I use a phone app metronome called Time Guru. It has a feature that you can turn on to make it randomly drop clicks on beats and it's up to you to keep the time yourself till the click comes back in....
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: 5 string in jazz combo question

in my experience on the 5-string electric, I'll usually "comp"(grab chords for accompaniment) in the mandola range of the five, lower four C-G-D-A. i've heard my friend and electric mando hero Paul...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Apitius J Model

187624 Here is my custom Rosine with Oliver's LS-Loar voicing, a mismatched top "wide grain on bass side and very fine on treble" I commissioned awhile back-maybe done in late September?...
  20. Replies
    Views

Apitius J Model

Hi All
    I just wanted to share a image of My Apitius J Model lefty in the progress of
    being built. For those who are not familiar with Oliver Apitius and his fantastic
    instruments here is a sweety...
  21. Re: Article: Introducing David Grisman's Mandolin Workshop Books

Not so cavalier, Scotter! That 'Dawg Tricks' pose is with a Kentucky Dawg model (one of two that he kept for himself) that he later sold to me in 1991. :mandosmiley:
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: John Paul Jones on American tv

Good stuff! I’ve probably posted this before, but I do think this is a really good cover of Going to
    California by the Dave Rawlings Machine featuring JPJ!jYeq6XoOg8s
  23. Replies
    Views

Robert Johnson (no mando)

Radio show and new book, based on memories from Johnson's sister.

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/q/new-book-reveals-the-true-story-of-legendary-blues-icon-robert-johnson-1.5625152
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Iwamoto F5 mandolin #118 in progress

https://youtu.be/VPjTimH47qY
  25. Autumn Leaves - Mandolin Chord Melody [Tab]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuPfDrACb-M

Tab
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3