Search:

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Finally, a Lyon & Healy Set

Love when the bass mandolin kicks in! Are you using the D'Addario mandobass string set? Nice round sound.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Finally, a Lyon & Healy Set

The Milwaukee Mandolin Orchestra includes a similarly complete set of 'cylinder-back' instruments by VEGA. Several seen in this photo.

So in theory, we could see a Boston vs Chicago vs...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Sarah Jarosz full concert video 2/27/24

Or check out this profile of Sarah for the Cafe!

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/content/172-Looking-Forward-with-Sarah-Jarosz

Sarah's pursuing her musical vision, and I love watching her...
  4. Re: Are pressed sound boards necessarily bad?

Here's Sarah Jarosz playing a pressed-top Harmony made vintage mandolin. It's the Shutt designed two 'shoulder' design that was made from the teens through at least the 1950's. It's a pressed-top and...
  5. Re: 'Fast Car' Grammy Guitar - connection to Michael Heiden

The recording academy has now released the complete song and original audio. HERE

https://www.grammy.com/videos/tracy-chapman-luke-combs-fast-car-2024-grammys-performance-66th-annual-grammy-awards
  6. 'Fast Car' Grammy Guitar - connection to Michael Heiden

If you were watching the Grammys this year, maybe you were as taken as I was by the duet between Tracy Chapman and Luke Combs. There's a good quality clip here:

7. Re: Help me ID this vintage instrument dealer...

Well I called Gil a 'dealer' but I don't know if that's exactly correct. But he certainly was well collected on the state of vintage prices during his time as editor. Seems like a nice guy who loves...
  8. Re: Jam Etiquette / Rules Question - Should songs be banned

Just a note that the Stairway to Heaven of bluegrass is ... Stairway to Heaven by the Stanley Brothers. Always welcome at a BG Jam.

https://youtu.be/ZX_-3PMWPoQ?si=9smqdVvT87o902xs
  9. Re: Paul Glasse on video w/Western Swing band 2023

Douzat in the Charente departement. He's active on FB.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Larry Collins RIP

Amazing post from Deke Dickerson on FB. (It's public, worthwhile, and easily searchable)

My favorite bit:

"He reveled in telling us great stories of the old days (“Elvis called me his ‘little...
  11. Replies
    Views

NYC's Freiheit Mandolin Orchestra 1925

As we approach the centennial of this photo, I thought I'd post for archival purposes.
    One of the players was the late grandmother of a friend of mine.That's her at the right hand of the...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Jimi Hendrix Mandolin Auction

When Jimi tossed this empty can of Ronsonol my way in the Summer of '67 I didn't think anything of it. Just slid it into the pocket of my 501s and hitched back home and resumed my quiet life as a...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: is this case a Gibson?

Well, I'm stumped, Drew C. If it's something that you're interested in selling, I'd post exact inside measurements, and hope to find someone with an instrument that fits. One additional possibility...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Guitar and mandolin anyone?

I get that some folks may want to speak about their experiences playing guitar or watching videos of others playing guitar... but I am NOT ready to move on from that performance by Thile and Lau...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: is this case a Gibson?

Definitely not Gibson. And not Shutt either. So the only other symmetrical two point mandolin from that period was made by Lyon&Healy/Washburn. If it does indeed fit, it would be a valuable...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: What is your favorite Chris Thile quote?

"I love my Blue Chip picks, but sometimes I envy violinists. Hell, I envy violinists all the time — what with the amount of sound they can produce — but those bows... the amount of work that has gone...
  17. Re: Has anyone heard about a crazy mandolinist named Frank Wakefi

From the NY Times on Frank Wakefield, 1973: Timothy Crouse of Rolling Stone has described his playing, in an inspired phrase, as a mixture of “bouzouki plate‐smashing music, bluegrass runs and...
  18. Re: Has anyone heard about a crazy mandolinist named Frank Wakefi

Yes. Frank's mandolin is indeed tuned down 1 1/2 steps. No problem for the other two when Frank's playing in 'Bb', although Daves is one of the few guitar players who normally play that tune in open...
  19. Re: Has anyone heard about a crazy mandolinist named Frank Wakefi

Agree. I believe that Frank will be 90 next Summer. There's a lot of joy in all three players in the recent video I posted above. No doubt that TT and Michael are enjoying showing Frank what they can...
  20. Re: Has anyone heard about a crazy mandolinist named Frank Wakefi

Here's a new recording that even the old time Frank Wakefield fans may not have seen yet. Just shared in the last few days after a visit from Michael Daves and Tony Trischka.

21. Replies
    Views

Re: Good mic for...

I think there are more practical and useful mics for a jam session/band than the Ear Trumpet microphones where you must be paying a fair amount for the 'old-timey' aesthetic. I'd suggest the Audio...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: A-Jr in Ex condition - a rarity

It's really fun to have a matching vintage guitar and mandolin pair. I used to have a sunburst Martin 00-18H and a lovely sunburst Martin mandolin, similar vintage, materials, and sunbursts. They...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: New Album/Single by Sarah Jarosz

As far as I'm concerned, SJ will always be 'one of us' with a special place here at the Cafe. What a privilege to watch a talented and groundbreaking young musician mature and grow musically, try new...
  24. Replies
    Views

New Album/Single by Sarah Jarosz

Looks like a new sound for SJ. But she still has that Fletcher Brock OM out front!

https://youtu.be/w8SuGm1aD-A?si=FGWL3IeE0BZh448g

To be fair, she did warn us - at the mid-point of her pro...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Live Mics for Mandolin

^^^Exaggerating for effect.^^^^

Obviously tons of bands use instrument mics. And lots of performers can go either way depending on the room, and the sound they're trying to achieve, and how much...
Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4