Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: What is the name of the piece Mike Marshall is playing?

I study with Emory Lester, longtime friend and associate of Mike’s. I asked about this tune some time back. Emory wasn’t quite sure, so sent Mike an email which he forwarded to me with Mike’s reply....
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Ellis Archive - We need your help!

Love what you’re doing here!! Given his reputation and long-time celebrity players like Dan Tyminski and the new generation players like David Benedict, I’d love to see Oliver Apitius represented on...
  3. Replies
    Views

Wayne’s World of Mandolin Channel?

Has anyone taken a look at this yet? I Wayne Benson will be posting all kinds of material on his new YouTube Channel “Wayne’s World of Mandolin Channel“ (NFI). Takes requests for topics. Wondering...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: How to approach practicing and improvement?

Highest priority for me would be to learn how to play the simple melody of any vocal tunes you like. This builds your intuition. Like being able to “sing” with the mandolin. Also, focus on concepts...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Revisiting: The Mandolin: A History

Agreed. For a slightly lighter read - more of an overview - I would also recommend everyone check out Walter Carter’s “Mandolin in America” (UES, Walter Carter from Carter Vintage.) Outstanding...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: My new Apitius build

Congrats! Apitius is the best instrument I’ve ever owned! Oliver is fantastic to work with, and it will be worth every bit of the wait!!!
  7. Re: Recent visit to Carters, and also to Tyler White’s shop

Man, it’s so great to hear the stories about Tyler White. I’m a former owner of #12....traded it in for the Apitius Vanguard, and while I can’t say that I’m disappointed with the decision (the...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Anyone taking online lessons?

Good point, bigskygirl. I’m also a long time student of Emory’s, and I can say that it’s been an amazing experience. Emory customizes his approach based on the student’s particular learning style,...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: What's In Your Mind

Short answer is to play and play and play.....eventually this all becomes guided by intuitive flow. Maybe you’ll have a split second thought here or there about a certain lick you want to throw in,...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Prettiest Peghead Inlays Ever

I’ll have to agree with the Apitius comments (nice work, Oliver!!) Naturally, I’m partial to the Apitius Vine that Oliver did for me. Best mandolin I’ve ever played (and I just spent two days at...
  11. Re: Gibson threatening the mandolin and guitar luthier community

Amen! This type of nasty corporate behavior is doing far more to complete the destruction of the Gibson brand than anything the competition could ever do. As far as I can imagine, it would be a...
  12. Re: New Apitius Club Jazz Mandolin acquisition…

One way to know what they sound like - listen to any mandolin recording by Dan Tyminski and any recent work by David Benedict. They’re both die hard supporters. There are also a number of recording...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Question for Eastman Owners

My question is why does it matter if you play an Eastman?
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: White Mandolins!

Hey All -
    Spoke to Tyler White recently since I hadn’t heard much from him in awhile. He’s been consumed with the Mandola build, which has taken him a tremendous amount of time (and kept him away...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: White Mandolins

I finally received my White F5 #12 a few weeks ago and I’ve been meaning to post a write up here. Bottom line is that Tyler exceeded every expectation and I’m absolutely thrilled with how things...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: White Mandolins!

Hey All! Great to see another thread started!! Soon to be the proud Mando-Papa of White #12. Many of you no doubt have seen my comments and those of others regarding what a pleasure it’s been every...
  17. Replies
    Views

Mr. White continues to impress. To the owner of #11, I’m sure you’re already enjoying this beauty. Congrats!!

18. Re: Why did you choose the mandolin over another instrument?

For me it was to get girls. Everybody knows that chicks can't resist a mandolin picker. After more than 20 years....well, I'm sure the ladies will be calling me any day now.
  19. Replies
    Views

Wow, man....that's gonna be a beauty. I thought about the tortoise binding....love that look. Maybe on my next one. Anyway, congrats. Can't wait to see pics down the road.
  20. Replies
    Views

Mine is #12. I’ll post some pics he sent of mine in process. Sent me an audio file of him playing it “in the white” and it’s just outstanding. He will be doing the stain and an oil varnish very soon....
  21. Replies
    Views

Got some great pics from Tyler White the other day. First set I'm posting is #11, which is close to completion. PLEASE NOTE: this mando has an oil varnish, and still needs a final sanding and...
  22. Replies
    Views

Hey Ron - hate to hear that. To call it unacceptable would be an understatement. I have to tell you that Tyler has displayed endless, almost infinite patience with me throughout this entire process....
  23. Replies
    Views

Here’s a couple others that were in the works some time back.

24. Replies
    Views

Hey All -

Thought this was pretty cool...Tyler sent a pic of his most recent work. This is the back on #10.

25. Replies
    Views

Re: Famous Friends

My late step father went to high school with David Grisman, and they stayed in contact over the years. When I first became passionate about the mandolin, I was introduced to him when he played a show...
Page 1 of 2 1 2