Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Pick guard removal?

It’s your mandolin, and I think you should like it. I take them off of mine. My understanding from multiple sources is that they weren’t designed as pick guards, but finger rests. I don’t plant a...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Best strings for vintage Gibson

My Gibson A is pretty loud if I want it to be. It was bought out of an antique store on Cape Cod, and it came with the original hard cloth case. The mandolin might have been stored for decades,...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Any other Big Muddy owners out there?

A few years ago I had am MW-0 that was a wonderful mandolin. I am not sure what prompted me to sell it. About 6 months ago I bought another MW-0 (primitive). I bought it so I could travel...
  4. Re: Any other Big Muddy owners out there?

My second mando was a rosewood Mid-Missouri. Wonderful, magical instrument. But I don't keep instruments forever. Now I have a couple of other cool mandos and will probably sell one within the year....
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Any other Big Muddy owners out there?

I have an m4 that's about twenty years old. Sounds great, neck is still nice and straight even without trussrod. Has a sound unique to all my other mandolins and I find I use it most when recording....
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Looking for opinions of Big Muddy mandolins

Setup? I haven't felt the need. I did lower the bridge on my octave to bring the action down a hair, but other than that, they have been good enough for me as is.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Looking for opinions of Big Muddy mandolins

There was a used M4 here for a while and I played it a number of times while I was in the store. I was pleasantly surprised at what a nice instrument it was. It had a somewhat unassuming but I...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: CMC joint arthritis (no mandolin content)

Thanks for your replies. I think I’ll experiment with light gauge strings and check into chiropractic & acupuncture too. The dr in Bristol VA is about 4 hours from me, so I might try him if I can’t...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Letter to Peter Pan by Liz Carroll

10. Replies
    Views

Re: Letter to Peter Pan by Liz Carroll

It's a great tune! Nigel Gatherer transcribed it a few years ago. His transcription is at thesession.org:

https://thesession.org/tunes/12341

I made my own mandolin recording based on Nigel's...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Tips on reaching the F Chord

Chord choice is a good topic, but you can't exercise choice if you can't reach the chords.

The first fret is really useful; and worth getting your hand position correct so it is comfortable. I am...
  12. Re: How to build a dynamic practice routine...

Warmup. 10%
    Technique practice, scales, new scales or chords or inversions. 30%
    New repertoire. 30%
    Old repertoire. 30%

This is based on an Evan Marshall workshop about effective practice.
  13. Replies
    Views

Incredible Music Resource: So Many Tunes

Special thanks to John Goodin for all his work putting this site together...and especially for sharing it with us. I've had the website link on my desktop for some time and so I thought others out...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolins on airplanes

I will say, however, that most of those airline trips were to Hawaii on Hawaiian Arlines. They're so used to Ukeleles flying back and forth, I think they're a little soft on regulations.
  15. Re: Good source for beginning Celtic and Quebecois music

Coming in a bit late here, Leslie, but nobody else has mentioned the great books of Scottish tunes (aimed at fiddlers mainly) published from the Isle of Skye by Taigh Na Teud and edited and arranged...
  16. Re: Good source for beginning Celtic and Quebecois music

Wow, a lot of new resources from these posts. I hope you found enough to keep you busy Leslie!

Thanks folded path, the Comhaltas Foinn Seisiún Books 1 and 2 are on the way here. The website for...
  17. Re: Good source for beginning Celtic and Quebecois music

http://www.mandolintab.net/index.html

Hundreds of good tunes here
  18. Re: Good source for beginning Celtic and Quebecois music

Here's a link to a great website with lots of Irish tunes - one nice feature is that you can slow the speed down, great resource for learning tunes by ear:
  19. Re: Good source for beginning Celtic and Quebecois music

I have made great use of TheSession.org and their tunes database. I look forward to sampling some of the other sites mentioned above as well.
  20. Re: Good source for beginning Celtic and Quebecois music

While there may be some overlap, Celtic and Quebecois tunes are usually separate genres, though I supose there are some musicians who can play both with expertise.

In Celtic or at least ITM I am a...
  21. Re: Good source for beginning Celtic and Quebecois music

Hi Leslie and welcome to the Cafe!

Here are some resources to start with on the Irish side which I'm more familiar with, maybe someone else will jump in with Quebecois info.

A good place to...
  22. Re: Good source for beginning Celtic and Quebecois music

Try traditionalmusic.co.uk, http://www.nigelgatherer.com or if you have something that can convert .abc file abcnotation.com. All are good resources for tunes.