Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

New Tobin Bouzouki for Manus Lunny

Hi All

Manus Lunny got in touch a while ago about building a new bouzouki to replace the one I made for him 20 odd years ago. The old instrument has had a very hard life - years of touring with...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Forster bouzouki in action!!

Nice one, I'd come and see you in a pub.

Now get back to work ;)
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Forster bouzouki in action!!

If at first you don't succeed....

If it is a YouTube video your are trying to upload then click on Go Advanced and then the YouTube link on the toolbar. When you load in the url only load the...
  4. Replies
    Views

Updated guitar bouzouki article

Back in 2014 I wrote a blog post about the guitar bouzouki and its brief history. Well, since then I've found out a couple more things so I've updated the piece:

Guitar bouzouki article

5. Replies
    Views

Andy Tobin Custom Large Body Bouzouki

Hi All

I've just finished building an LBB for a customer in Co. Clare. He already has an SBB which he loves, but this commission was to be a special instrument. He wanted to include some woods...
  6. Re: Was Lloyd Loar involved in building A model mandolins?

That question has been discussed here before. If I'm not mistaken, the consensus is:
    Yes, he signed every Style 5 instrument during his time at Gibson (June '22 - December '24). Not one Style 5...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Matsikas Bouzouki For Irish Trad

Love those "HUP" videos, and the two with Alec Finn/Tony Linnane/Noel Hill are my favourites by far. Interesting that Alec is playing an instrument that is very different from the more ornamented...
  8. Replies
    Views

John, have you looked at Papadamou? I don't know anything about Matsikas, but these instruments look very good, huge variety of styles, timbers, and price range:...
  9. Replies
    Views

If you get one that's the same wood as one of your current ones she'll never notice :)). Worked with me last time I bought a bike!
  10. Replies
    Views

First Archtop Mandolin Build Thread

After building 6 archtop guitars and 2 GOM (guitar octave mandolin), it is time to take the ultimate luthier challenge and attempt to build an F-style mandolin. Humbly submitted here will be all the...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Andy Tobin Cedar Bouzouki Build Diary

I agree about the full contact bridge. Spreads the load across the top and and thus assists the sound.
  12. Replies
    Views

Hi John - Finishing / spraying / lacquering the instrument is probably the least enjoyable part of the whole process, so when I say I like to do it myself, I don't really, I'd just sooner do it...
  13. Replies
    Views

Hi Everyone Here's the next instalment.....

The bouzouki is now just about ready for finishing, just a final rubdown with 320 and then 400 paper before getting it ready.

14. Replies
    Views

Hi John, yes it's coming together now. Well spotted, after I took that photo I was wondering if anyone would figure out what the wedge is for !! Well, when I'm cutting the vertical rebate for the...
  15. Replies
    Views

OK, it's time to fit the purflings and bindings to the body. But before I do that the body will need a good tidy up first. Use a router to trim away the overhanging excess from the top and back and...
  16. Replies
    Views

OK, the top's all finished now, so I need to get the body ready so I can fit the top. So after cleaning up the edges of the back with the router, it's time to take the body and neck out of the jig....
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Gerry Barry RIP

Gerry was one of the very first buyers of a Sorensen mandolin - perhaps the very first that I sent to Trevor at TAMCO. I was delighted to get pictures of Gerry jamming in a local pub and thrilled to...
  18. Replies
    Views

I'm saddened to hear of this, he truly was a kind soul. I'm glad I made his acquaintance and picked a few tunes with him at the Monroe Camp. I'm sure I'm not the only one who will miss his presence...
  19. Replies
    Views

I'm very sorry for you and our loss. My sincere condolences.

Jamie
  20. Replies
    Views

This is simply terrible news. I came to know Gerry by way of his love for the mandolin and meeting up at Monroe Camp. Gerry was a quietly spoken, true gentleman and I enjoyed his company immensely....
  21. Thread: Gerry Barry RIP

by trevor
    Replies
    Views

I had many visits from Gerry, he was a great guy. I am very sad to hear about this.

My best wishes to all his family and friends.
  22. Replies
    Views

Very touching. Best to you and to his family. Perhaps you can share with us a tune that he liked to play. Maybe some of can learn it and keep a part of him present in our music.
  23. Replies
    Views

Hi John,

I had a chance to meet and pick with Gerry at a few of the Monroe camps. As nice of a guy you could ever hope to meet. My condolences to family and friends. Will pick a Monroe tune this...
  24. Replies
    Views

Hello John,

I did not know Gerry, but I know one thing for certain about him; he was fortunate to have a caring friend like you. My sympathy goes out to his family and to you. I sense your loss...
  25. Replies
    Views

155884Oops, don't know what happened there...

Anyway, that was a photo of the bending iron I use. I made this probably 30 years ago out of a piece of 3" steel pipe welded to a bit 8mm sheet so I...
Page 1 of 2 1 2