Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Ralph Stanley II and The Clinch Mountain Boys - Latest News

Totally off topic, and not mandolin related all, but your dilemma reminded me of this story.

When I was in my 20's we hired a mover to bring our stuff to our new (first!) house. It was summer and...
  2. Re: Mandolins are 2-3x more than equivelent guitars?

Yes, when comparing, compare flat top to flat top and archtop to archtop. Then you will find that guitars are generally considerably more expensive than equivalent mandolins.

Unless you want some...
  3. Thread: RIP Tom Smothers

by tree
    Replies
    Views

Re: RIP Tom Smothers

One of the best Christmas gifts I received in recent years is a DVD of old Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour shows. Their comedic timing and delivery was impeccable, and they had the brass to speak truth...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Thumb to damp g course?

“Not the best there either” … not sure why you say that, Bill. It’s a great method on guitar in numerous circumstances. As a guitar & mandolin player, I use whatever muting methods work best in a...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Waverly Tuners tight

Having had an Ellis A5, I can tell you it's not an installation problem. Builders have had issues with the Waverly A model tuners. But it's worth talking with both Tom Ellis & Stewmac. Tom's customer...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Modding a Northfield F5S

Changing tuners is unlikely to have a significant effect on tone.
  7. Replies
    Views

Sylvia Tyson playing a Regal Octofone

This photo came up on Facebook today from True North Records. It's a photo of Sylvia Tyson (then Fricker, best known as half of Ian and Sylvia) playing the Bohemian Embassy in Toronto about 1960. ...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Surgery for arthritis...

Been there and done that. For me the surgery was much simpler than I could have ever imagined. Stitches come out tomorrow. Already playing easier than I have in the last year or more. Back to...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Spruce-different species

Yes, Norway spruce is common english name for picea abies which grows in all mountains or colder clomates of central and east europe. It's pretty much the only commercially available spruce local in...
  10. Re: New tuners to replace Golden Era tuners on a 2015 A mandolin

I'll briefly mention that buyers should be aware that there are two models of Golden Age mando tuners. They are made with different post spacings, and buyers must choose the model that will fit...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Inspecting and caring for a vintage Gibson A

1. The hardware appears to me to be original.

2. I don't see anything glaring. However, there is a top brace behind the soundhole in oval hole Gibsons that sometimes comes loose, usually at one...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: My Duff is hard to tune

Golden Age tuners are great for building character.
  13. Re: Stewmac shipping outrageously expensive and NOT eco-responsib

FWIW, Stewmac sells on eBay with the seller name stewart-macdonald. NFI. They currently have over 1500 items listed on eBay and all have free shipping. I'm sure the prices are adjusted...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Where did the tab edit files on Mandozine go?

The Mandozine website was asking for donations recently to cover their overdue web server bills, so it's possible that they ran out of the funds necessary to keep it going, and closed the site -- or...
  15. The Girl from Ipanema, for solo mandola (or mandolin)

I am not primarily a jazz player so I don't post in this section of the Cafe, but I thought this might be of interest to people here. It is a solo arrangement of "The Girl from Ipanema," originally...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: ? about Dunlop Primetone picks...

I do wish Dunlop had assigned a bit more distinction to each of the sizes/shapes/materials because there is a a lot of diversity inside the 'Primetone' tent. On finding a perffered style, I bought a...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Bridge upgrade on new Eastman mando?

NDO. I bought an Eastman 305 from TMS a little over a year ago. I found the setup to be very good. I did do a very minor re-fitting of the bridge as there was a tiny sliver of light visible under...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Which Budget Fingerstyle Guitar?

I agree with the "get all the new guitars" you can sentiment. Acoustic guitars are plentiful in the new and used marketplace, there is wide variation in them, and today's cheap guitars aren't bad....
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Old vs New Oval

And you sound awfully fine on them, Bob.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Anybody know anything?

HblPucwN-m0

Sorry, could not help it. :)
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: The virus, the economy, mandolins and you

I'm a hospital Registered Nurse and today was pretty rough. I was honestly fine until today. It's starting to take it's toll, or maybe I'm just rambling and tired after a bad shift. My wife and kids...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Screws for tuner buttons

As much as that sounds plausible I can tell you that you probably couldn't do it. If you could I wouldn't have been buying screws from a half dozen screw suppliers in the US and a few overseas.
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: ToneGuard Question

Gee, I just put a set of $7.00 strings on my $4,500 mandolin. Maybe I should be looking for more expensive strings?
    ;)

When something works for 'ya, it just works. I'll gladly pay for high-end...
  24. Re: Inherited and no manufacturer markings on this 2-point mandol

Here's an ad where they were being sold at Sears.
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: RIP Tony Glover

Living in the Twin Cities, I heard Koerner Ray & Glover many times. In the early 90's Tony (and I) dumped many of their gig's from horrible old reel to reel tapes onto better reel to reel tapes in...
Page 1 of 2 1 2