Search:

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Advice on mandolin Upgrade

Checkout the Breedlove A's. The American made ones have a radiused fingerboard that is a bit wider than many alternatives in that range. I know a guy with two of them and the both sound very good...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson "F-3"

I never bought a mandolin from Jon Lundberg but I did buy my first good banjo from him just before I headed home from being in the service. It was an interesting little shop.
  3. Re: Jam Etiquette / Rules Question - Should songs be banned

If you start banning songs because they reflect the sometimes less than pristine history of our country, then you'd better only play new songs and tunes. But eventually someone will even find them...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Crossrock Mandolin Cases

I have a TKL case that was real tight at first. But the mandolin now is snug as a bug in a rug. I could even put a tonegard on it and close it.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Best Budget Mandolin? Advice.

Recording King makes a Dirty 30's A for $199 that is not only cheap but does not sound bad or play badly. I teach kids and that is what I recommend to their parents who usually bring in these...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Wernick Camp/Gilbert Nelson

Gilbert used to live near us and we went to a jam at his home with a neighbor that was in a jam group of his some years ago. Honestly I think there might be be better uses of your time. I was not...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Alternatives to EJ-74

Strings and Beyond has 15% off Curt Mangan strings, I just picked some up today.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Beard "Celtic" Mandolin

I know Richard and have heard lots of his mandolins. They are great for old time and Celtic music.
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Christmastime is Here - NMD

I have a good buddy with a mandolin with myrtle back and sides. It is a great mandolin. I know your sounds good.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Oval vs F holes

Ted nailed it. That's why I own both. Like why so many guitarists have different guitars as well as banjo players and fiddlers and dobro, well wait, perhaps not dobros.
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Is anyone else scared of Bill Monroe?

Bill Monroe was what I call a 19th century man. He had no time for the modern for modern's sake and he was no nonsense in his ways. I knew lots of farmers and older men like that when I was coming...
  12. Re: Nice solo arrangement Sunny Side of the Street

This is fine. I love the solo jam aspect of it. Did you know, that according to an interview in a mid 60' Downbeat magazine, this song was Howlin' Wolf Chester Burnett's favorite song?
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: DI for K&K pickup?

I use a ToneBone Acoustic DI box to good effect.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Love for Ovals

For anyone looking for a sweet, but loud, oval hole mandolin, I have a friend who has been paring down his collection. He has a nice oval hole for sale well below what it should cost. PM me and I'll...
  15. Re: Christmas gift ideas for my daughter / Mandolin related?

MandoMutt had a Lakota strap clearance and I got one as a gift for a child on my list for $17.50.
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Vivaldi's Largo from Winter

Very nice.
  17. Re: Effortless Mastery - Tips for Playing in the Zone

Music can be it's own meditation. It is often for me. Transcend the moment while living entirely in the moment. Manual labor like hoeing a garden and weeding are also transcendent times.
  18. Re: Stringjoy Foxwood mandolin strings first impressions.

I have had that issue with them as well with their naturals. Don't have a full set yet, filled in on the treble side with some GHS singles I had on hand. They sound good so far but aren't bowling...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Tweaked my Mando

I guess you are aware that an oval hole mandolin and an F hole mandolin will have inherent differences in sound so there is that. It is too often a setup is not a setup from some places. It is...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Golden Gate clown picks

I buy them locally at 5th String Music in Greenville. They are competitively priced and it supports a brick and mortar store.
  21. Re: Cole's One Thousand Fiddle Tunes in pdf?

I have a copy of Cole's I bought in February of 1973. That would be one big PDF.
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Jesse Smathers "Aint Going Down"

Nice!
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Where to buy used?

I got a sweet deal on a nice mandolin here. It is like fishing, wait and be delinquent while waiting.
  24. Re: Free irish Session Tunebook Out For Community Comment!

I've always known Gravel Walk as singular not plural unless or course it is a different tune.
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Shout out to Lakota Leathers

I have one for my guitar. It is Buffalo, and besides a little shedding of the leather, it is soft and supple and a delight to use.
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4