Search:

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Professional Mando Names

For those who wonder why reading this thread makes you feel vaguely uncomfortable, here's an article about the concept of naming stuff that you own:
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Improvising

Seems you’re commenting on things i’ve never said.

Let’s try again. An improvised performance is a composition to be sure— it is composed of everything that goes into it. That’s trivially true...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: $200 to dress mandolin frets? Ouch!

You don't have to pay that much for fret work.
    As a repairman, if they can charge that much and get people to pay, more power to them!
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolins "Opening Up"

The best way to search the Cafe is to not use the built in Search Function. It has limitations. It's actually better to search using Google. The syntax for the Google search would be:

"Open up"...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolins "Opening Up"

Google:

No results found for "I have been afraid to post forever and now I have gotten up the nerve...".
  6. Re: Help! I can't hear the beat when I play a break

As far back as the early 1970's I was taught that the correct term is "pick up notes" for the notes that , as you say, lead into another measure.

This was in New Orleans in context of school...
  7. Re: Trying to find old article: guitarist exploring pick grips

Probably this which i started to read and then i realized it wound't do me any good to try to absorb that much analysis, but i do like the story about spending hours and hours modding picks to get...
  8. Re: Gibson threatening the mandolin and guitar luthier community

Flatiron: setting the record straight and a bit of context:

I primarily agree with the prior posts here which emphasize the untenable act of forging the 'Gibson' name and passing off forgeries and...
  9. Re: Gibson threatening the mandolin and guitar luthier community

Wait . . . banjo players have a forum? You mean, like, reading, or is it just pictures?
  10. Re: Gibson threatening the mandolin and guitar luthier community

I CAN´T RESIST!

The master of blah blah, Marc Agnesi... (if you watch his videos as an employer of Norman´s Rare Guitars).

Though it might seem like venting: I don´t think that people like him...
  11. Re: Gibson threatening the mandolin and guitar luthier community

Regarding the Dean headstock, they look exactly alike if you're a total moron and on mind altering drugs.
  12. Gibson threatening the mandolin and guitar luthier community

Time this became public because, well, it already is.

This has been going on for several months now and we were content with keeping under wraps what we knew but it's public now in a not so subtle...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: 3 hours of practice a day?

Perlman makes a very good point in that clip, which I've heard in other conversations on the Cafe and elsewhere. It doesn't matter how much time you spend practicing, if all you're practicing are bad...
  14. Re: how many of you venture up to-or beyond the 18th fret ?

I don't use those numbers above 100 on my speedometer either.;)
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: First build: Scroll binding disaster

Set it aside, build a couple of "A"s, then come back to it once you have a better handle on building techniques.
    OK, I know, but you did say any suggestions.

Next suggestion, try again, pre-bend...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Fiddle Tunes with History?

As a folklorist (PhD), I have to say, be skeptical of stories of origin of tunes, sayings, and other oral lore. These stories are often told authoritatively, then passed on by others who also tell...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Whither the Compton/Blake record?

Thanks for your interest in the CD, everyone. I have to admit I've dragged my heels on getting this out for a long time. But it's finally put together and done. Heidi and I are looking at 'official'...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: How do they do frets at big factories?

"And Gibson had been using (analog) pattern carvers to rough-carve mandolin tops and bottoms long before the advent of the computer, and CNC machines, which do the job more precisely. "

Yup; even...
  19. Thread: Ricky Jay

by Dawg
    Replies
    Views

Ricky Jay

It is with great sadness that I wish to acknowledge the life and talent of my dear friend, Ricky Jay, who passed away yesterday at his home in Los Angeles. Ricky was perhaps the greatest practitioner...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Halloween Costume

If she lays on a carpet she becomes invisible!

Jamie
  21. Replies
    Views

Halloween Costume

Hey just saw a girl wearing a BlueChip CT-55 Halloween costume. Thought I would share.172265

Now here's the question: would she sound darker if she was wearing a Wegen TF120 costume instead? I...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Forum saving topics

At least we can all agree that an F style mandolin inherently sounds better than an A style.
  23. Thread: Costellos tenor

by AndyV
    Replies
    Views

Re: Costellos tenor

A year or two ago someone on the TGR explained. He bought a tenor in the 60's when the folk craze was waning. The music store was promoting tenors guitars tuned to "Chicago tuning". The store owner...
  24. Thread: Costellos tenor

by dcav
    Replies
    Views

Costellos tenor

Anyone here have a chance to play this guitar at Gruhns when it was up for sale years ago? I know it's a long shot.....

but if you did, what was the price tag at the time? and your thoughts on...
  25. Re: Observations from my first festival parking lot jam

The best thing a new jammer can do is spend the first 10 or so jams listening carefully and primarily doing backup -- we're talking 98% of the time. Once you learn a variety of backup techniques and...
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4