Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Notes from the Condino vault

I've got a huge amount of notes & blueprints that I have made over the last four+ decades of building instruments, in addition to several commercially available blueprints. I've been looking into the...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Serial Number Decoder--Gibson

If nothing has changed since my Gruhn's Guide was printed, the format for Gibson mandolins made after 1987, the format is yrrrmmmd, with Y being the last digit of the year of manufacture, rrr being...
  3. Recently discovered documentary footage from the Gibson factory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-zOaOYB120

Just a short glimpse of mandolin building in the custom shop toward the end - anybody recognize the builders?...
  4. Sierra Hull & Sam Bush - Turkey in the Straw Transcription

Hey all,

I've been doing a lot of transcribing lately and wanted to share my work! Here's a transcription I did of Sierra Hull and Sam Bush jamming on Turkey in the Straw at Grey Fox 2018.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: H1 Mandola tailpiece

They don't have to point the same direction either. You could cut the two slots in the direction of the neck on the other side of the opening. Then the slots don't have to be as long and no bending...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: CNC plate carving service

Like these? :-)
  7. The Long Lost Mandolin Cafe Time Wasters Page

Went looking for this and it hadn't been linked from anywhere in years. Well, what better time to resurrect? Some of you may visit this page. You may regret it. You've been warned.

Mandolin Cafe...
  8. Re: Gibson threatening the mandolin and guitar luthier community

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and predict this threads demise in the not so distant future.
  9. Replies
    Views

Read Me First

The old Forum software has been reinstalled. But I wasn't done meddling just yet. I saw some things in the other version and decided they had their place here so changes have occurred in the...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Band Saw Re-saw Fences

That has much to do with machine set-up, blade type and quality, and operator skill. It has very little to do with the fence.
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: 1939 F5's and the archive

In my F5 Journal I have: EA5190; EA5191; EA5192;EA5790 as F5s and EA5248, an H5 Electric made for Dave Apollon.
  12. Replies
    Views

NOTICE: regarding GoFundMe projects

Please note that we have removed an entire GoFundMe thread at the behest of the person it was set up to benefit. I do not personally take this kind of action lightly. The person it was to benefit I...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Top 5 Sam Bush tracks

The whole record "Sam and Alan Together Again". My all time fav mandolin recording.
  14. Re: Gibson threatening the mandolin and guitar luthier community

This was addressed in the opening post.

It's clear that a few dominating the conversation would benefit from reading more and talking less. If you just can't understand something, it's no one's...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: The end of my playing days.

Never underestimate the power of the mandolin. Good therapy.

All the best to you going forward.
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Jade Mandolins

Hi Johndog, welcome to the forum. Look at the links here, there is a Classified Ads section, and you could post an ad for this in the "Wanted" section.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: cross-border travel

Respectfully, it's easy to minimize seizure of someone else's instruments. This is the same type of minimizing that people were doing when CITES II first came out, and now we're facing serious...
  18. Re: IBMA Mandolin Player of the Year Finalists for 2018

Grumping online at organizations and people you don't know from across the pond and will likely never meet won't achieve anything. Unless you join and vote--which means you'd have to open your...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Derrington mandolins

What exactly does it mean when you say Derrington (or other name) Gibson F5? Is that made in the Gibson factory entirely by one specific luthier? Does he just oversee and approve other luthiers in...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Dusty Miller chord progression?

Well, more elaborate chords are typically used by groups other than Bill Monroe's, particularly those backing up Texas-style fiddlers, who do great things with this tune. (Listen to Sam Bush on "Poor...
  21. Replies
    Views

Some historical Gibson information

While looking for something else today I ran into this interview with Charlie Derrington. There is some interesting F5L vs Fern info as well as F9/A9 info here. It's a pretty good read.
  22. Re: Janet Davis Music Co. has gone out of business

There is some really good insights here, and yes, having a brick & mortar store as a backend to a predominately online based business is normally a big mistake (ask me how I know). Where the brick &...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Preferred Polish

Polish?
  24. Best wishes for a peaceful weekend and the holiday ahead

A brief note of thanks from the Mandolin Cafe to this community which during the past few weeks has remained a sane place to hang out online. Sadly, much of music related social media has...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Don Julin's beat-up Nugget for sale

I think I'll just buy the thing so we can put this thread behind us... ;)
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3