Search:

Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Request for a few standards for jams

Many thanks to everyone for the detailed suggestions, kind words, and for providing some good concrete starting points! Fortunately for everyone else, less so for my ability to lead tunes, I am in no...
  2. Thread: Muth F-Style

by Jonny-Jay
    Replies
    Views

Re: Muth F-Style

I just acquired a beautiful MUTH mandolin; #M123 made in 2020. To my ears it has that nice Lloyd Loar "throaty" sound that I love so much and was searching for. Given that there are so few of these...
  3. Replies
    Views

The Kitchen Girl: solo octave mandolin

An internet acquaintance recently requested that I record this tune. It was one that I'd never heard before. I usually prefer to learn tunes by ear as I believe the aural learning process helps with...
  4. Poll: Re: Just starting out -- Should I really learn to "read music"?

learn your dots or you never play complex music (release the penguins) https://lostinthecloud.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/faeries-aire.gif

more from John Stump here:...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Café classifieds

I really don't need to get into discussing this further and I'm already on record stating the decision is not going to be an invitation for a public forum on opinions. The banjo community has been...
  6. Telemann: Siciliana from Partita No. 5, mandolin/mandocello duet

Georg Philipp Telemann: Partita No. 5 (TWV 41:e1), Aria 4: Siciliana
    First published in "Kleine Kammermusik" (1716).

I originally found this nice tune in a collection of Baroque recorder duets...
  7. Re: New OM day, and some questions about others

It came from Montana Lutherie with JP 48-14, which is pretty close to the EJ72s everyone recommends around here. I just bought a pieced-together set of slightly heavier Elixirs (.052 G strings) that...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Info on The Flatiron 2MB

Since I haven’t seen fatt-dad around much lately, allow me to assume his role and offer his customary advice about string selection. While these mandolins have anecdotally stood up to mediums, they...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Compulsive purchase- Flatiron 1N

I guess two can be a collection but I also consider it a reunion of two mandolins that could have been in the STE shop at the same time. I really enjoy playing this pancake and koa is one of my...
  10. Replies
    Views

Since we revived this “vintage” thread I might as well post my most recent acquisition, a Flatiron 2K from ‘83. Here are pics with my ‘83 A5-2 which I bought new in that year from Mandolin Brothers....
  11. Re: New to mando...coming from guitar...where would you start?

What on earth are you talking about? I guess I'm just too stupid to understand that "mandolin" uses completely different scales and notes, and a completely different way of constructing "chords"...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Kentucky Army-Navy Mandolin

Thank you for the links! I was impressed by Fatt Dad's imagery of the pancake mandolin sound . . . "a piercing echo across a foggy lake". I might take a look at the Gold Tone GM-10. Thanks again!
  13. Replies
    Views

The Pancake bug bit hard and I impulsively bought an '82 N1 that should be here hopefully this week or next (I know the shipping world has been crazy with the Holidays and whatnot). No case. I'll be...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Thomastik-Infeld Strings

Jim, there are perhaps other TI strings that might work - but I have had no luck trying to get TI to respond to my inquiries. A double set of TI AC112 guitar strings totals to $52 which is about the...
  15. Shove that Pigs Foot a Little Farther into the Fire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG5vsbGultk

This was a whole bunch of work to make, but super fun, and I'm really happy with how it turned out!!
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: My MAS is cured.

Thank you sir! I am enjoying them. You have some fine mandolins too!
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Memorizing a song

A lot of you folks are making things much more complicated than it should be. QUIT (or cut back on) relying on some sort of Visual "memorization", whether it's Tab, notation, or looking at your...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Octave Recommendations?

Since you are coming from a violin I would recommend a 20" scale OM with Thomastik-Infeld 174M strings. That is how I have my F20 Bitterroot setup and it is very warm sounding and rings like a bell...
  19. Re: US Made Mandolins "around $1500" (a...hopefully...helpful lis

As fatt-dad said to me in this thread:https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/threads/152001-Troublesome-Creek

"Go for it!"

I'm glad I did, thanks f-d!

I'll add Red Valley to the...
  20. Re: US Made Mandolins "around $1500" (a...hopefully...helpful lis

Oh wow. Those HM series look a lot like the Waterloo by Collings flat tops. Beautiful!
  21. Replies
    Views

Andy Statman Bought A Loar F5!

A couple of weeks ago Andy Statman made the move and purchased a Lloyd Loar F5 from Larry Wexer (wexerguitars.com) in New York City. His father purchased a Loar for him when he was a teenager, but...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson A2Z refret with larger frets??

I am in the ICP camp but have done several refrets. My thought is that the mandolin is small and the scale is short, so small frets
    are in order. Here is a cut from guitarplayer.
    Bigger frets...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Help! Drowned out by fiddles!

Hi. If you'll forgive me for prying ever so gently, I see you've been a member for 18 years, yet this is your first post. That seems to indicate you're much more willing to go along with what others...
  24. Re: Is a January 87 Carlson signed Flatiron considered "Pre-Gibso

According to Gruhn's Guide to Vintage Guitars, Gibson "acquired the Flatiron mandolin company in May, 1987."
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: bVII—IV—I (NMC)

This should fit into the discussion. How to think about this? Key change/ modes.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fegnW9nisw
Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 4