Search:

Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

The Gibson Factory in Kalamazoo

I just happened across this brief youtube video thanks to their autosuggestion function. It's only a couple of years old and includes some interesting information. For one thing, it mentions plans by...
  2. Re: Flatiron F Festival - information on this particular model

here's a small video (sorry for it being vertical, I forgot to turn it horizontal) :D I strung it with D'Addario monel 11-40, Primetone Small Triangle 1.5 pick

3. Replies
    Views

Re: What’s in a Scroll?

I'm all for a scroll on my mandolin; man does not live by bread alone.:cool:
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: What’s in a Scroll?

Yes.

Yes.
  5. Re: Is Gibson Getting Ready to Roll Out Some New Models?

Thanks for this, Dan.
    The the very idea of replica-Loar-signature labels troubles me greatly. I’d rather see anybody’s signature on the label rather than a facsimile signature that suggests a...
  6. Re: Is Gibson Getting Ready to Roll Out Some New Models?

Regarding these Loar F5 tributes...

Brief history
    The "Gibson" most of us know and love was the original Parsons Street factory in Kalamazoo, Michigan. Orville Gibson was a lone builder, with an...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: A question for the Gibson history experts!

James…

Thanks for joining this post. You and I share similar experiences with truss rods, but my experience had a different outcome. In 1974, I licensed US Patent 3,901,119 to Gibson for a...
  8. Replies
    Views

Hendrik…

Thanks for the rebuttal. For this discussion let’s set aside any of the double-acting rods, double-rods (one nut, two rods), square tubes, carbon-fiber rods, T-shaped bars, etc., and just...
  9. Replies
    Views

On April 5, 1921, Gibson engineer Thaddeus "Ted" McHugh filed a patent for his design of a truss rod. The patent, 1,446,758, was awarded on February 27, 1923. While most manufacturers would wait...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: RIP Alan Niederland

I'll repost here what I wrote on the Bibey Camp Facebook page about my dear friend Alan. Thankful that the Café introduced him to me 10 years ago, and even more thankful that we became in-person...
  11. Replies
    Views

Alan was a dear friend and a brother. We picked together so many times. He loved twinning on the mandolin and played the harmony to many tunes whenever we would pick. I was honored to have worked on...
  12. Replies
    Views

That's the way it was with Alan Niederland -- aka "AlanN". To me, Alan was a special person, though the closest I got to meeting him was many thousands of emails and two phone calls. Despite that, ...
  13. Replies
    Views

Andy Poe New instruments

Andy recently completed some new mandolins and ukuleles. Mine is a baritone Uke. The back and sides are made from ebony

I’ll post photos of the other ones.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Best prices Gibson F5

Anything that David Harvey has had his hands on at Gibson would be IT! I personally believe under David; Gibson makes the best mandolins since the Loar heyday. Thats my opinion anyway, not everyone...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: New Gibson Bill Monroe Hall Of Fame Model?

I’m a longtime MM and DMM fan. These are a really cool idea but the back distressing is too much for me. As for the signed label, if Gibson has them why not use them? Kudos to David Harvey for a...
  16. Re: New Gibson Bill Monroe Hall Of Fame Model?

I agree that mandolin is not something I would want -- I like nice clean shiny, chip, dent, and scratch free mandolins and I try to keep them that way.

If distressing wood and finish is your...
  17. Re: New Gibson Bill Monroe Hall Of Fame Model?

To me I've said it before as long as the mandolin delivers what you personally want in its sound overall voice, looks should mean nothing! It should be about the sound and this mandolin while it may...
  18. Replies
    Views

First, I was only expressing my opinion. This is a discussion forum. That's all.

Second, Gibson/Monroe are free to do anything they choose.

Third, I am a huge Gibson fan as evidenced by my...
  19. Re: Gibson F-5 Lloyd Loar Signed December 1, 1924 Mandolin

Some folks have called it, disparagingly, the "Virzi tone reducer." It was originally developed for the violin, and it's fair to say that it never caught on in the violin world. Most violinists...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Was Bill Monroe The First?

Well, here's what Monroe said about buying his famous Loar F-5: "I was in Miami, Florida, and I was just shopping around, you know, looking in store windows, things like that. I passed by this...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Secutity

Two somewhat related anecdotes:

One of my folk music friends had a set of Northumbrian smallpipes (like mini-bagpipes, only more tolerable) stolen from his Boston residence. They were in a nice...
  22. Replies
    Views

The problem with gun safes is that they do tend to hoard humidity; with guns they promote rust. With mandolins or other instruments, who knows what you'll experience.

There are lighter, thinner...
  23. Replies
    Views

I'd suggest a good quality/capacity gun safe. Sporting goods and gun stores have them and there are excellent safe company's too. They can be bolted to the wall or floor and with enough capacity are...
  24. Replies
    Views

I've got an authentic Barber Shop Edition. I will wait for the pre-poker 1979 edition (the peak of distress before Gibson repaired the headstock the first time). If I remember the price difference...
  25. Information about Weber, Flatiron and Gibson Instruments

We recently discovered players can no longer obtain information on Weber instruments built prior to 2013 from the Weber company. Mary and I would be happy to help with any questions or concerns you...
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4