Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Bill Monroe talks about his Lloyd Loar in an interview

In 1985, Loar mandolins where not anywhere near that expensive. I don't remember the exact price, but I would guess somewhere between $5K and $8K. As a comparison, Martin D-45's were $10K or less,...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Is this really Caleb Klauder?

Hmmm...

The Caleb Klauder Interview (mandolincafe.com) https://www.mandolincafe.com/news/publish/mandolins_001737.shtml
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: non resonant note

If the notes a half-step above and below sound fine, try retuning to a half- or whole-step low, and see if the problem follows the location or the frequency. That is, if the issue occurs on the same...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Blonde Loars ?

It is cool to see Pete playing mandolin. He and John Cohen lived pretty close to me and I was friends with John and played with Pete a couple of times.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: RIP Tony Rice

Facebook from Ricky Skaggs.
  6. Thread: Tuning up

by Zach Wilson
    Replies
    Views

Re: Tuning up

Defund the (BG) police 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Please don't take this too seriously.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Can you teach musicality?

If you can define the elements that constitute 'musicality', it can be taught. If its wrapped up in 'talent', which itself appears fairly undefinable, then you're stuck where you are. You don't...
  8. Re: Gender and age distribution of mando players

Data from the past 30 days of our Google Analytics: they don't even list visitors under 18, and I know we have those numbers here, 42.16% of our visitors are age 45 or younger. Might make 45% with...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: old Flatiron, old guy, some thoughts

Thanks to everyone who has chimed in so far. I really appreciate your shared thoughts. These most recent bits of advice make sense to me: clean it up, play it for a while, and then see if you still...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: old Flatiron, old guy, some thoughts

Get the corrosion cleaned up, but fresh strings on it, lubricate the tuners, and play it for a while to see how much you like it. Then decide if you want to put the money in to upgrade it. ...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Informal Poll

A few years ago, I'd have said 'yes' and might actually have done it. In fact, I spent several times that on a piano. But only recently I have come to the realization that for me (emphasizing for...
  12. Gibson Master Model vs. Ellis F5 with all of his highest options.

Was considering either a Gibson Master Model or possibly an Ellis F5 with all of his highest options. Both are comparable prices but am just really torn between the two.

Any thoughts from anyone...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Refret for Gibson F9

Fyi, i paid $20 per fret, the rest was crown, set up, etc. professional quality work requires experience, and, time. Often more time than one would expect. Thats reality. Some guys can accurately...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Removing the Florida extension

My take is that if you are still catching the Florida after it is scooped, you need to adjust your technique. I see no need to chop it off.
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Waverly reversal?

They might exist but there is a correct way for them to turn.

http://www.lutherie.net/mandolin.gear.direction.html
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Does Praying Help Find Your Blue Chip?

Well if you're already on your knees looking around, may as well try to earn some extra credit while you're down there.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin sound changing over time

Personally, I hold the scientific method in high regard in its ability to determine objective reality. The issue, as I see it, is that "good" tone cannot, to my knowledge be objectively defined. The...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin sound changing over time

It's hard to avoid thinking that correlation implies causation. Do fast cars win races.. or did the cars get faster because of all the winning? That's an obvious example, but lots of life is not as...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Bridge angle to fingerboard or top ? Arching

Often the bridge posts are bending slightly or th eholes in saddle allow for some leaning and make this look worse than it is. But if bridge is good with tight fitting saddle on posts I try to fit...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson F-5L thoughts

this is what I have read as well.
    FWIW I bought my 2002 fern, sight unseen, with a 3 day return. I love it.

You cant always find one where you live. In fact, you cant always find lots of musical...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: It has finally happened (HELP!)

The removal process is similar to pouring water out of a boot! 😉
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Short-neck oval A models?

A correction - a short neck Gibson style (12th fret at the crosspiece) oval hole mandolin does not have a shorter scale length. The scale length is the same, i.e. 13 7/8th inch and the bridge is...
  23. Re: Who is left of the 1st generation bluegrassers?

Eleven years later and a thread bump!?
    Mando-tech, I take exception to discounting Kenny Baker as first Generation, granted the commander of the tipped hat, has passed to the larger life, he will...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Was Bill Monroe The First?

Bill Monroe saw his 'Loar' hanging up in the window of a Florida barber shop. I haven't read anything to suggest that he knew anything about 'Loars' as a superior Gibson model. I suspect that like...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: The bible of monroe is released by tom ewing

Yes, Mike asked I bring a few "old" Gibsons to show and tell at the camp and it morphed into "The Mandolins of Bill Monroe: The Lore of the Loar". I'll be showing 11 mandolins like the ones Monroe...
Page 1 of 2 1 2