Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Satin NC lacquer how to advice needed

If painting a stain finish, then dont use gloss at all for any of the stages, nothing worse than doing a final rub down to have areas of gloss amongst the satin finish.

Stay satin from start to...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Cleaning Mold From Inside a Guitar?

Thats a clean back removal, nice work

Steve
  3. Thread: Necks

by mirwa
    Replies
    Views

Re: Necks

No research imo is required, hundreds of thousands of instruments exist if not millions with scarfed head stocks that have not failed, I have seen a couple of failures in my repair life on the glue...
  4. Thread: Necks

by mirwa
    Replies
    Views

Re: Necks

Yes scarfed is way stronger.

A one piece neck has got long grain running the length of the neck, but once it transitions into the headstock it has a long grain length of around 14mm or less, as...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Who makes their own truss rods?

How i do it

http://www.mirwa.com.au/HTS_Dual_Acting_Trussrod.html

Steve
  6. Thread: Nut slot fix.

by mirwa
    Replies
    Views

Re: Nut slot fix.

Really simple get you going, knock the nut out, superglue a piece of paper to the bottom and put the nut back on, instant 4 thou lift to all strings, as permanent as you want it to be as well
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: How do they do frets at big factories?

Plek, whilst great, cannot do banjos, mandos, uke’s, sitar’s and so forth.

If it’s a plain guitar with standard frets, that is not true temp frets or compensated frets or multi scale frets, then...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Broken headstock on Eastman MD515

It can also be achieved very securely without the need for fingerboard removal as well.

I call the process a reverse scarf

Steve

9. Replies
    Views

Re: edge sander conversion fail

No reason it should have failed.

I think you just had bad luck and it decided to die on you just at that momment.

Steve
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Removing frets without damaging fretboard

wet the fret board, heat the fret to generate some steam and break any glue bond, work the fret out slowly and you will be astounded at the difference between that and simply pulling the fret dry
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Violin Bridge Templates

This may help, the centre two strings get raised a fraction to the outers, some people like to hand carve the feet, I don’t have time for that stuff so I just use sandpaper.

Steve
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Top removal/replacement

A word of warning, cutting the fretboard can be detrimental to your instrument, some neck blocks do not extended under the top of the instrument,their connection to the instrument top is less than...
  13. Re: Stewmac fret arbor press system-any owners/users out there

Anyone that refrets a neck in under 3 minutes is someone I would steer away from, yes it’s easy to put a fret in, but it is also easy for a fret to come out, taking ones time and respecting the item...
  14. Re: Stewmac fret arbor press system-any owners/users out there

I have both amongst many other versions, the hand clamps have a tendency to leave marks on the back of the neck, I would not recommend them, the arbor press itself is a good unit

Steve
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: PLEK'ing a Mandolin

I agree and dis-agree. Most modern luthiers have cnc equipment, I have skills and overheads, we dont increase our price because we have this equipment, this equipment saves us time and in doing so...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Refretting a bound fingerboard

Traditionally if you need the board to be levelled, that is it has a bend or wave to it, you will loose the nibs if the binding cannot be removed before hand

It is possible to rebind the fretboard...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: 1920s Gibson F5 new fretboard binding.

In my signature column, is a starting point for people.

Steve
  18. Thread: Need Inspiration

by mirwa
    Replies
    Views

Re: Need Inspiration

It's extremely hard to make a living from repairing or building instruments.

Most people start doing this as a hobby or sideline gig to there main employment else where.

Once you get a name...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Fringe benefits....

Nice
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Question on grain filling

I sometimes wonder why people feel the need to be so aggressive in a response, far better to say, I actually find something different, or I believe it to be this way.

This is a far better response...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Question on grain filling

Well, when a guitar is built and spruce is adjacent to the rosewood, what do you use to stop the spruce from getting stained from sanding and filling and levelling the rosewood.

The use of a pore...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Looking for tips on refretting

I have some tutorials linked in my signature, defretting and refretting are some of them

Here is a quicker link directly to them

http://www.mirwa.com.au/HTS_Defret_a_Guitar.html
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: New to cnc, looking for CAD/CAM advice

I have around 6 cnc machines, I think as part of modern luthiery you have to embrace technology and work smarter and more efficient.

I use vectric/aspire, its an all in one package. You can do...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Repairs cost more than my mando?

Yes repairs can cost more than the instrument is worth.

Most repairers cannot work for Chinese wages of around a dollar a day, cost of living affects a repairers costs which extend to his required...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Steaming Question

Steam Boxes are great, but not really suitable for side bending.

The success to bending with a steam box is having a thick enough piece of wood that will retain the heat allowing it to be bent.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3