Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Thread: Hearing aids

by twilson
    Replies
    Views

Re: Hearing aids

I, too, have the Widex Moment. I customized an on-stage program. My audiologist (who is a musician) said there was a slight delay with the standard Universal program because of all the processing. So...
  2. Thread: Hearing aids

by twilson
    Replies
    Views

Re: Hearing aids

Kirk, I can’t speak to the latest research, but I upgraded about a year ago and my audiologist still recommended Wider. Good luck.
  3. Re: Jerry Hill Mandolins -- Anyone seen/tried/have one? Feedback

I am a long time friend of Jerry Hill. Bandmate too. So, that being said, I think it would be hard to find a better mandolin in the price range. They sound great with great playability. Fantastic...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Need more dog songs...

There’s this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6mhYXeKRCE
  5. Re: Pontapé, Tom Wright Trio Live at Blue House Productions

Wow, Tom, great stuff. Hope all is well with you, sounds like it is.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: RIP Nolan Faulkner

I grew up in the Detroit area and had the pleasure on knowing Nolan. Great, great mandolin player. He taught me how to play chop chords. Go in peace.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Young Sam Bush A5 video

Yes, its a Randy Wood A50 conversion. I played in a band the winter of ‘72 in Colorado (Goldrush). Brian Lappin, the banjo picker, bought it from Tut Taylor. Don’t know what happened to it after that.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Picking technique on electric mandolin?

I’ve played the acoustic for decades and have a very heavy (for lack of a better term) approach with both hands. With the electric, I have had much better results with a thinner pick and a looser...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Picked up a fiddle recently..

I’ve been playing the fiddle about 40 years; the mandolin for about 45. My mandolin playing came along, but my fiddle playing.....I had about 6 months of classical violin lessons early on to try to...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin to Violin

As I mandolin player, I have often felt compelled to cram as many notes as I could into breaks and tunes. However, as I have progressed on the fiddle, I have found I do much better by taking out...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Wayne Shorter on 10-string

Hey Tom, saw ‘Wayne Shorter on 10 string’ and figured that must be Tom Wright. Great stuffl.
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Slump......slump buster?

What Al from Colorado said works for me. But I take more than a day off, sometimes several. When I get back to it, I find some of the vexing passages or licks fall into place. Subconscious at work?
  13. Thread: Pava Mandolins

by twilson
    Replies
    Views

Re: Pava Mandolins

Ellis sitting in a leather chair, smoking a cigar, and drinking expensive Irish whiskey....yes, I have seen that many a time.

Oh, you were referring to an Ellis mandolin. My bad.:whistling:

I...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: The First Loar F-5 I Ever Played

The first one I played was Bobby Clark’s, probably about 1978. Yeah, I’m old. We were playing on the same show. I was playing an F4 at the time and broke a string a few minutes before I was supposed...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: How to play harmony

I have had luck with the Amazing Slow Downer. Record the lead of the tune, plug it into slowdowner, and slow the tempo down to where you can figure out the harmony by ear. (The slowdowner keeps the...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Wild Bill Jones chords?

Yup, playing a major chord against a melody that suggests the minor is one of the high points of Western civilization. That and twin fiddles.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Ellis A5 #339-15 and a Visit to the Ellis Shop

Hey Don, I was there! Great playing with you and Mark. Hope you can get back this way some time.

Tim
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: How Do You Intro A Song?

In a band situation, I suggest kicking it the same everytime. That way the rest of the band will know what you're doing and come in on time. In general on a kick, I suggest staying close to the...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Starting up the neck

Couple of things that helped me up the neck.

Shift positions via an open string when you get the chance. That is, if you are playing in the first position and hit an open string, its a good...
  20. Re: How many of you have successfully changed your hand position?

Just got back from Maryville. Visiting my three nieces and their kids.

I, too, have been playing 40+ years. I think it was John McGann in an interview that talked about the angle of your pick in...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: How Times Have Changed

Yeah, times have changed.

22. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolins Are For the Birds!

Check out Josh Williams. About 1:30 in he has a visitor.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7vBo0ptYJNs
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Why Violins Have F-Holes

Ladies and gentlemen, all yawl have got it wrong. The following explanation of how a fiddle makes its sound comes straight from the mouth of the illustrious Dr. Ralph Stanley.

First of all, the...
  24. Thread: Scale Patterns

by twilson
    Replies
    Views

Re: Scale Patterns

Check out Patterns for Jazz by Jerry Coker. All kinds of scale patterns, arpeggios, etc.

Tim Wilson
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Schatten Design mandolin pickup

Hey yawl, just got a Schatten M 05 pickup. Been futzing around with it his afternoon. They recommend attaching on the upper portion of the bridge, on the endpin side. I did so but didn't like the way...
Page 1 of 2 1 2