Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Your first great mandolin

I have never turned over a mandolin. I have only ever bought two mandolins. My first was a Vega bowl back from Jim Garber. I still have it, it is a beautiful sounding bowl back and I have no desire...
  2. Ricky & Marty Play Bill's Mandolin on "Big Night"

You've got to check out the recent hour and a half show filmed at the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum which is now on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCKUUSntqWQ

Some legendary...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Las Vegas Music Scene

No success; however, I didn't pursue beyond this thread. Surely some jams are happening. Some shows are opening in November.
  4. Meet new duo The Foreign Landers - David and Tabitha Benedict

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdMMIjB27KI

Web site
    Instagram
    Facebook
  5. Mike Marshall's Virtual Mandolin Orchestra

Mike organized this with his ArtistWorks students. He wrote out parts and recorded guide tracks for us and then we all recorded our parts. Another student put the video all together. It was a fun...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Live From Home

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhFGuWWlmGY
  7. Replies
    Views

GIROUARD F4 Delivered Today !!!

The most beautiful mandolin I have ever seen was delivered today ! Port Orford top and beautiful flame maple back ! Workmanship second to none ! Sound really projects crystal clear notes across the...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolins for 6k and under?

You have a much better selection in the cities then I do in Sioux Falls. I come up for work in the cities monthly but never have I visited a music shop. And when I bought my oval A it wasn’t my area....
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Gruhn's and/ Carter's?

Walter Carter runs the best vintage shop in the country. You'll find him hanging out on the floor casually laughing and telling stories with customers who don't even know who he is; he cultivates...
  10. Replies
    Views

Gruhn's has close to 60 mandolins in stock today. The more valuable ones are kept on the second floor. If you want to see any of those, all you have to do is ask.

Gruhn's staff is always...
  11. Replies
    Views

Well …. Gruhn's in the "new" building is worth a visit. Especially if you visit the second floor. Customers are brought asked for specific instruments to try out. No wandering around in my...
  12. Replies
    Views

I was at both stores in June and while Carter's was a bit more chaotic they had a much more interesting selection to me. They have a high-end room and then the rest of the floor. If you're serious...
  13. Replies
    Views

Renfro Valley Barn Dance Crew

I tried to find a larger copy of this image. I was pretty excited to see the two guys sitting on the floor on the left of the picture. I've never seen their pictures when they were that young.
  14. Replies
    Views

Don't be nervous

A lot of people report wanting to have a solid base of tunes or skills before they play with others, or maybe that they just want to practice something more or have more variations they can rely on...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Reruns from there

Well, I try to listen every week, and I totally dig the show. So there. :mandosmiley:
  16. Re: IBMA Mandolin Player of the Year Finalists for 2018

Just to put you right on one aspect of this & the previous thread,- I'm NOT complaining about Sierra Hull (or anybody else) as a musician. It's not even really a complaint at all,simply an...
  17. Re: Two of the great living mandolinists today: Sam B. And Chris

You should start a change.org petition and collect signatures for your suggestion that Sam Bush be excluded from the Telluride Festival. Maybe he is what has been holding the event back for the past...
  18. Re: My Morgan Monroe your opinion hope not too bad :-)

BTW D'Addario EJ74's are an excellent choice for strings. Very well regarded around here.
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: How brisk is the Gibson Loar F5 market?

I was at Mandolin Brothers August 2, 2011 chatting with Stan Jay who sold him a Loar. I know because I still have the photos on my iPhone with date stamp. At that time he'd already previously made...
  20. Re: "Live From Here" Musical Guests: Clearly I'm Not Hip

De gustibus non disputandem est, as we used to call her (nod to Robert Benchely).

I didn't like everyone who played on A Prairie Home Companion, either. But a widely-distributed,...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Doug Clark mandolins

22. Replies
    Views

Sierra again

My apologies to those who have seen this video but I’ve watched it 6 times in the last two days and can’t get enough. The combination of instruments is just awesome.
    https://youtu.be/WpB3yBiJ1Jg
  23. Replies
    Views

Nice ND article on Dawg

Apologies if this has been posted before:

http://nodepression.com/article/dawg-dna
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Monroe Mandolin Camp, 1st time.

tom it was great to meet you I hope the camp was good for you...Ritchie it was great to finally meet you after a lot of years !!! the camp was good for me as I made some new friends and hung out...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: mandolin tattoos

So I had the opportunity to meet Craig and his tattoo last year at Compton's Monroe camp. The picture does not do this justice - it is truly amazing work. Great subject matter and Craig is the...